Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Good stuff Rick. I'd like to do some of that kind of shooting. I'd suck at it, I am sure, but I'd like to give it a whirl. I have done very little clay shooting in my days.

Sporting Clays is a hoot... we used to go to Bull Run about every Sunday... back when I lived in NOVA.

Sometimes I would just hang on the rabbit station and shoot a box of shell before moving on.

I weren't good... but it was still damn fun. Never kept score personally.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I enjoy shooting sporting clays when a course is set up to simulate actual shots one would be presented while actually hunting.

I do not enjoy shooting sporting clays when someone decides to just make the targets extremely hard to hit with no intention at all of making the course anything like actual hunting.

I still think one of my very favorite stations ever was somewhere E of Detroit Lakes MN there was a course with a "Coot Station". They'd throw a normal clay upside down and skip it across the water like a running coot. It was easy to hit, if you could stop giggling when they threw it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While we wait on EarlyDrunk to hydrate a bit explain the 2nd shot sort of like I am a rifle shooter.

It's looks like that bird is below and falling?
It’s a Springing Teal presentation

Bird is under power, going pretty much straight up vertically.

The method is to let the bird pass the barrel, move and mount the gun behind (below) the bird, push up through the target while keeping a hard focus on the target, pulling the trigger when the brain says to
Sounds like an easy shot. Why not just shoot it when it reaches the apex?

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a fan of maintained lead{Bidwell} unless your a skeet shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those cams are pretty damn cool. Ive watched a few of the TGS Youtube videos and they show them pretty often.

Would be great to see where you are actually missing instead of guessing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While we wait on EarlyDrunk to hydrate a bit explain the 2nd shot sort of like I am a rifle shooter.

It's looks like that bird is below and falling?
It’s a Springing Teal presentation

Bird is under power, going pretty much straight up vertically.

The method is to let the bird pass the barrel, move and mount the gun behind (below) the bird, push up through the target while keeping a hard focus on the target, pulling the trigger when the brain says to
Sounds like an easy shot. Why not just shoot it when it reaches the apex?

That can certainly be done. The problem is some real are difficult to read. When they appear to be at the apex, dead in the air, they are really still going up.

Shooting the teal under power is easier to read.

Then there is the situation when they MUST be shot at a certain place, either going up or down.

When I practice teal, I shoot them going up, at the top, and while they are dropping

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Not a fan of maintained lead{Bidwell} unless your a skeet shooter.

A shotgunner must be able to use all the methods to attain lead. Swing through, pull away, and sustained.

What Bidwell taught was Move, Mount and Shoot

The bird never falls behind the barrel during the mount. The barrel is inserted to the lead and the shot is fired when the stock hits the cheek

Move Mount and Shoot is the method that took me to the top of the game.

My shooting mentor was actually the first instructor that I know of who taught it in the US. He took his Level 3 in France where the instructor forced it down his throat basically; he wasn’t a fan but soon saw the light.

When he returned from France, he called me and and told me he wanted to teach me a new method. I was always a swing through shooter to that point. Shot a tractor bucket full of AA’s that weekend and took the new method home to practice. I believe I was the first US shooter to be taught the method as far as I know

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The bird never falls behind the barrel during the mount. The barrel is inserted to the lead and the shot is fired when the stock hits the cheek

Move Mount and Shoot is the method that took me to the top of the game.

Started working on that for Skeet last yr. It's probably not the method that'll get me to any sort of league placement, but, I don't care about that. For me, clay targets in the summer are about not being so doggone rusty when fall rolls around and it's time to hunt upland birds.

Safest flushing bird is the one going straight away. I peek and shoot under them a lot.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sqweeler

Excellent

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
That’s pretty cool

Is the camera mounted on the gun? The red dot presumably being the point of aim, calibrated before the shots?

Honestly curious

Yes

Thanks. I think it’s neat. Would be a great tool to instruct shooters how to be better at it
That’s pretty cool

Is the camera mounted on the gun? The red dot presumably being the point of aim, calibrated before the shots?

Honestly curious

Yes

Thanks. I think it’s neat. Would be a great tool to instruct shooters how to be better at it
It is a terrible tool to teach shooters to be better. Number one it messes with the balance of the gun. Number two it teaches a person to try to aim the shotgun. This is the mistake many shooters make. To shoot a shotgun properly it is pointed. The target is the front sight and the shooters eye the rear. Shooting a shotgun well is a seeing game.
Rick

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The David Radulovich video is a spoof, he’s making fun. He is a close friend, I’ve been shooting with him since he was 12. I still cal him “”Little David”. He is a top notch shooter.
Take care,
Rick

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.