Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nah,
I just put the dirty barrels pointed down ...next to a can of Kroil...and all the dirt falls out .

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Every ten years whether they need it or not.

The rest of the rifle, whenever I use it I wipe it off.

I have learned that cleaning ruins the accuracy for 20 or so shots until it gets dirty enough for it to be happy.

Also, a 22 bore with 1 grain of powder at a time takes a damn long time to NEED cleaning unless you're shooting matches for money.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/22/24.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my 22RF's will need a bore cleaning when it fails to extract a spent cartridge. then i will need a bore brush, Shooters Choice and patches. when the rifle is clean, then i shoot about 100-125 times to make the rifle accurate. the outside of the rifles i use Ballistol religiously.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
One of the all time controversies in shooting.

I don't shoot my 22 rifles much anymore but handguns regularly.

Some say you gotta season a 22 bore like a cast iron skillet to get it to shoot it's best.(I might agree with this one)
Some say shooting different ammo with different plating and lubes changes things
Some say they never or seldom clean their 22 bores.

I don't know if I shoot well enough (mostly handguns) to tell much but what do you guys think?

MAGA!

"Some" say a lot of stupid things too. Why polish and hand lap a barrel, only to "season" it with crud and then shoot it. A really good barrel will shoot lights out either way. I run a pull through cleaning device through my 22lr's and it has never hurt them. I clean them after every use, so they don't get a carbon ring. "Every use", could mean 100 rounds or 300 rounds, but they do get cleaned the same day, or after each use:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The last 2 targets show the most recent groups with that rifle, to show how it shoots with a clean cold bore. Measly 5 shot groups, sorry as I usually shoot 10 shot groups, but didn't want to burn up that ammo. As with most things, you guys can do what you want. I do what I've always done..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, just to take care of it like all the others. Otherwise they feel neglected.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know if I shoot well enough (mostly handguns) to tell much but what do you guys think?

I have a couple .22s I shoot quite a bit, a couple I shoot seldom. For the ones I shoot seldom I like to clean them pretty well before putting them away. Guns I shoot frequently .. no. A couple times a year maybe, maybe not even that. Basically clean them if the dirt seems to affect function. Also clean them .. or at least wipe the carbon, etc off the muzzle before sticking them in a gun rug for transport.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With a silencer, yes. A quick pull through with a bore snake will keep you rifle extracting.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djb
With a silencer, yes. A quick pull through with a bore snake will keep you rifle extracting.

The idea of a bore snake breaking 1/2 through a 22 RF barrel would keep me up at night.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sort of an annual deal for me. Mostly to get the crud out of the action, so I do the barrel while I'm at it. Seems to subsequently take about 15 rounds for things to settle down (Ruger, CZ, and Anschutz).

Last edited by 1minute; 04/22/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I clean the chamber of my 10/22 CSC with a bent pipe cleaner periodically to prevent cycling issues. Others get a solvent-soaked snake very occasionally, being very careful not to let the cord contact the crown.

I don’t clean any of my rifles much, just a CLP or Ballistol-soaked patch, followed by a dry one, before storing, with copper cleaner as needed, which ain’t often.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Takes roughly 40 rounds or so for my 10/22 to settle back down after a cleaning, but it was ingrained in me, that guns get cleaned when you get home from the range.....PERIOD!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
One of the all time controversies in shooting.

I don't shoot my 22 rifles much anymore but handguns regularly.

Some say you gotta season a 22 bore like a cast iron skillet to get it to shoot it's best.(I might agree with this one)
Some say shooting different ammo with different plating and lubes changes things
Some say they never or seldom clean their 22 bores.

MAGA!

It's only a .22...

Maybe someday...

Maybe not...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have 2 .22 caliber rifles I use solely for squirrel hunting. One is a 10/22 and the other is a cz452. I generally only shoot them a few times to check zero, after which I just hunt. I might fire 200 rounds per year. Both rifles are 1/2” shooters at 50 yards. I might have cleaned the barrels once in 15 years. I have another factory 10/22 made around 1974. I carry it around the farm either in a side by side or farm pickup for shooting snakes, muskets, beavers, and anything else that needs killing. I haven’t cleaned the barrel in many years and it still shoots where I aim. If accuracy ever falls off, I guess I’ll clean the barrel. I’m in the camp that believes cleaning a barrel does more harm than good. YMMV

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
And remember- a brush will wipe-out the rifling on a 22lr.
And if you pull a brush back into the muzzle- the barrel is ruined- bye-bye crown.
So throw them away if they've ever had a brush in the barrel- even a perfect fitting plastic brush.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.