Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I would never use a dead center in any bore that mattered. Buy a live center that you can turn down to about 1/2" diameter or just get one that already is and you're set. There are plenty of single point carbide indexable holders on the market that work very well. I have one that holds the tool vertically and have machined some of it away. The tip extends enough that on a rifle barrel, unless it's a heavy contour, it can be turned upside down and ran away from the shoulder.
[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/923/FYRNL7.jpg[/img][/img]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've threaded a number of barrels on rifles that have already been fired and have a known accuracy. The dead center has had zero effect on accuracy. A prominent Arizona gunsmith turned me onto this method. I haven't found a simpler way of doing it.

As far as the beach end. I've threaded/ crowned a few that couldn't be removed from the action by grabbing the action with a 4-jaw and indicating the outside of the barrel at the front of the action.

Why use a dead center at all? With an extended live center that's turned down you have the perfect tool. The dead center having zero effect on accuracy depends on the person doing to job too. If he doesn't use enough grease on it or overheats the area and the grease runs off there is a potential for galling. I see no need to chance any of that.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
We've pretty well beat the subject to death, but I thought I'd share the anecdote of a rifle just brought to me last week...a new Weatherby Camilla, 7mm08. Guy bought it for his daughter, it shot well with factory ammo, but she complained about recoil and started flinching. Without further thought (like loading down) he hauls it off to a gunsmith in the city for a muzzle brake. 250 bucks later it comes back, will not group, 3+ inch groups. So he hauls it to the village blacksmith...me. I am curious as to what went wrong so I started measuring stuff. The bore is not concentric with the bbl OD. Not horrible but around .0015. Lot's of bbls like that, no big deal, right? Measuring the screw on 1/2-28 brake (no brand name on it), the [bleep] thing is non concentric bad, like .004 out.
And now I suspect the 'gunsmith' cut the male thread on the bbl concentric with the bbl OD instead of the bore center. And then the 'gunsmith' cut the male threads pretty deep in the barrel...I'm estimating a hardware store fit of 60%...lots of wobble clearance. I don't know what's right, but if I was doing it I'd like to feel some interference as the brake was screwed on.
I guess this is a long way of saying little things matter, a thou here, a thou there...they don't add up, they multiply exponentially. So IMO there is nothing wrong with hashing it out in detail on a forum like this...to get better jobs in the end.
What am I going to do for my customer? Make a thread protector, develop a 120 gr light load that is accurate, and tell him to forget the brake.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another simple work around is to turn a bushing to press onto the barrel and use that for steady rest contact.

If you want a low clearance threading tool, use a parting tool and gring to profile.....just dont get greedy on the cuts as it lacks side to side rigidity.

You can turn a "pipe" with two sets of set screws to allow jacking into square/concentric. Grab that with your 4 jaw and a steady....rock on.

Lots of ways to burn the hair off this cat.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
We've pretty well beat the subject to death, but I thought I'd share the anecdote of a rifle just brought to me last week...a new Weatherby Camilla, 7mm08. Guy bought it for his daughter, it shot well with factory ammo, but she complained about recoil and started flinching. Without further thought (like loading down) he hauls it off to a gunsmith in the city for a muzzle brake. 250 bucks later it comes back, will not group, 3+ inch groups. So he hauls it to the village blacksmith...me. I am curious as to what went wrong so I started measuring stuff. The bore is not concentric with the bbl OD. Not horrible but around .0015. Lot's of bbls like that, no big deal, right? Measuring the screw on 1/2-28 brake (no brand name on it), the [bleep] thing is non concentric bad, like .004 out.
And now I suspect the 'gunsmith' cut the male thread on the bbl concentric with the bbl OD instead of the bore center. And then the 'gunsmith' cut the male threads pretty deep in the barrel...I'm estimating a hardware store fit of 60%...lots of wobble clearance. I don't know what's right, but if I was doing it I'd like to feel some interference as the brake was screwed on.
I guess this is a long way of saying little things matter, a thou here, a thou there...they don't add up, they multiply exponentially. So IMO there is nothing wrong with hashing it out in detail on a forum like this...to get better jobs in the end.
What am I going to do for my customer? Make a thread protector, develop a 120 gr light load that is accurate, and tell him to forget the brake.

They do add up. That's why learning to work to the utmost in perfection is just a good work habit to develop.

D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by high_country_
Another simple work around is to turn a bushing to press onto the barrel and use that for steady rest contact.
If you want a low clearance threading tool, use a parting tool and gring to profile.....just dont get greedy on the cuts as it lacks side to side rigidity.
You can turn a "pipe" with two sets of set screws to allow jacking into square/concentric. Grab that with your 4 jaw and a steady....rock on.

This is similar to the route I plan to take. First, I'll make new brass bearing surfaces for my steady rest. That is, if I can't find roller bearings that will fit it.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by high_country_

This is similar to the route I plan to take. First, I'll make new brass bearing surfaces for my steady rest. That is, if I can't find roller bearings that will fit it.
This is where I got mine.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/bearings/

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
Here is another trick , undercut the minor diameter at the muzzle by .010 for clearance and then start the threads to the shoulder length needed.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is an exaggerated example to show as it can be done at the muzzle as well.
Rich
Been away working up north. Thought I'd asked at the time, apparently didn't. Pure curiosity.

When one is set up like shown in this picture and the threads are complete, what about the crown? Have you cut the crown previously, doing it afterwards or what? Of course I am not talking about a thread only job. Say you were to cut to length, crown and thread. Say a recessed target crown or even an 11°.

Understanding there's many ways and often things can be plenty good enough to get'r done for the intended purpose.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 34 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.