Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
A few months ago, I picked up an almost finished, apparently never fired FN-action, custom .22-250. With her brand new 12x SWFA scope, bipod, and sling, she's a svelte 13.8 pounds with a 26" barrel. I've attached a picture below. The price, even after finishing her up and putting a scope on her, was right. That's all there is to say about that. It's time to sight her in and then work up some handloads. Part of the reason I got this rifle was to experiment with mid-range shooting and start using a scope with turret dials for the first time in my life. I have been very successful using Kentucky windage for hunting, but it does sometimes get a bit hard to make the right holdover or offset at longer ranges, so I want to develop my skills in that regard. I'm only planning to shoot ground hogs and targets (and any coyotes that happen to come out in broad daylight while doing the same) out to 600 yards, so I don't think I need to consider any of the heavy bullets, but I would like to better understand my rifle so I can have the right stuff on hand when I start experimenting. And, as you can see, she's pretty.

As far as I can tell, after measuring it several times, she has a 1-14 twist barrel, which means she was designed to shoot very light bullets, right? That is my understanding after reading this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/22-250-twist-rate-chart/#:~:text=For%20.,except%20the%20most%20heavy%20cartridges.

Is the chart correct that I should expect the best results from bullets 50 grains and under?

If so, are there any bullets which people particularly recommend? Ground hogs aren't particularly hard to kill as long as you hit them anywhere in the body, but I would like something that gives accurate results as far out as possible.

I have heard of light bullets tearing themselves to pieces if fired in too fast a twist (I don't think I will have that problem). I have also heard of massive instability issues when using the wrong bullet weights in .22 caliber rifles.

I have also read the following on here:

Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The formula is to stay under 300,000 RPM
MV x 720 ÷ Twist = Bullet RPM

From: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...342200/re-new-22-250-barrel#Post19342200

As far as I can tell, a bullet would have to be going ~5800 FPS in a 1-14 barrel to get close to 300,000 RPM. For reference, the factory loads I picked up for sighting in the rifle are Hornady 50-grain VMAX at 3800 FPS. Clearly no issues there. But that cannot be the entire story, right? Where does this 300,000 RPM come from? Where does 720 come from? Just trying to understand the science behind the equation so I can gain greater understanding.

I'm also trying to understand the relationship between twist rate and bullet length, because that must play some role, right? A 55-grain all copper bullet is longer than a 55-grain lead cored bullet. Surely that plays a role in the stability to some extent, right?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Attached Images
IMG_7496.jpg (17.45 KB, 284 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
A few months ago, I picked up an almost finished, apparently never fired FN-action, custom .22-250. With her brand new 12x SWFA scope, bipod, and sling, she's a svelte 13.8 pounds with a 26" barrel. I've attached a picture below. The price, even after finishing her up and putting a scope on her, was right. That's all there is to say about that. It's time to sight her in and then work up some handloads. Part of the reason I got this rifle was to experiment with mid-range shooting and start using a scope with turret dials for the first time in my life. I have been very successful using Kentucky windage for hunting, but it does sometimes get a bit hard to make the right holdover or offset at longer ranges, so I want to develop my skills in that regard. I'm only planning to shoot ground hogs and targets (and any coyotes that happen to come out in broad daylight while doing the same) out to 600 yards, so I don't think I need to consider any of the heavy bullets, but I would like to better understand my rifle so I can have the right stuff on hand when I start experimenting. And, as you can see, she's pretty.

As far as I can tell, after measuring it several times, she has a 1-14 twist barrel, which means she was designed to shoot very light bullets, right? That is my understanding after reading this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/22-250-twist-rate-chart/#:~:text=For%20.,except%20the%20most%20heavy%20cartridges.

Is the chart correct that I should expect the best results from bullets 50 grains and under?

If so, are there any bullets which people particularly recommend? Ground hogs aren't particularly hard to kill as long as you hit them anywhere in the body, but I would like something that gives accurate results as far out as possible.

I have heard of light bullets tearing themselves to pieces if fired in too fast a twist (I don't think I will have that problem). I have also heard of massive instability issues when using the wrong bullet weights in .22 caliber rifles.

I have also read the following on here:

Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The formula is to stay under 300,000 RPM
MV x 720 ÷ Twist = Bullet RPM

From: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...342200/re-new-22-250-barrel#Post19342200

As far as I can tell, a bullet would have to be going ~5800 FPS in a 1-14 barrel to get close to 300,000 RPM. For reference, the factory loads I picked up for sighting in the rifle are Hornady 50-grain VMAX at 3800 FPS. Clearly no issues there. But that cannot be the entire story, right? Where does this 300,000 RPM come from? Where does 720 come from? Just trying to understand the science behind the equation so I can gain greater understanding.

I'm also trying to understand the relationship between twist rate and bullet length, because that must play some role, right? A 55-grain all copper bullet is longer than a 55-grain lead cored bullet. Surely that plays a role in the stability to some extent, right?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

It really depends on the length of the bullet. Generally most bullet manufactures load manuals will say if a certain twist rate is not recommended for a certain bullet. In the Hornady manual, for example, it says a 53gr V-max will not stabilize in a 1 in 14" twist barrel. A lot of that will depend on your altitude. Where I shoot (above 5,000') they stabilize just fine in every 14 twist rifle I own, so I use the hell out of them. If you look, that bullet also has a higher BC than other bullets in that range. Even higher than a 60gr and 55gr V-max. I'd buy one box of those and give them a whirl. If it does stabilize, work up a good load and don't look back. I hate to say it, but you want to shoot out to 600 yards, your options are limited with that twist rate. I've done it with the 53 V-max, and it does alright, but I'd much rather be shooting a 77, 80 or 88gr pill. Something you just can't do with your particular rifle. Here's an example of what one of mine will do with that bullet:

400 yards:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

600 yards:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Thank you for the reply. When I bought the rifle, I knew that the twist rate was going to be an uncertain factor. The seller could not tell me much of anything about the rifle. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that it would be a 1-12 or faster twist. But, since I will be shooting at 2500-4000 feet, I cannot really count on any significant altitude factor.

I already bought a couple of hundred different bullets in different variants of middle weights to try out. If it turns out that my maximum range is limited to less than 600 yards, that's not really a big deal.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot the .22-250 since is was still a wildcat. I would go with 50 and 55 gr. bullets. My current loads are all with 50 gr. vmax or blitzking. I have killed coyotes to over 600 yards with it. Fast twist is fine if you are shooting rocks, one of the selling points of the fast 22s was the bullet explode on contact. This was 60plus years ago. Now with the heavy bullets no one mentions this. No where I hunt is less populated that it was have a century ago.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is funnier than fhuqk,that THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks,feel compelled to espouse their Retardation and what INCREDIBLY slooooowwww fhuqking "learners" they are. Hint.

The greater the BC,the better a projectile clings to velocity,slips wind and reduces TOF. Google as you MUST. Hint.

A 50gr Blitz' at a 3750fps start,will retain 2000fps of impact velocity,to a paltry sub 450yds. A 88 ELD M limping at 3100fps launch,retains 2000fps impact to 675yds. If only for starters. Hint.

You CLUELESS Fhuqktards never cease to amaze,by simply doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's about length, not weight. The two are generally connect but not absolutely so. Boat tail vs flat based, polymer tipped vs lead tipped vs hollowpoint, and conventional cup and core vs partition vs monolithic all matter.

I expect lead core 50s to work with a 1-14" twist. Most 52-53s will but the 53 grain VMAX likely won't. 55 are a mixed bag. Flat based lead, probably. Others less likely. 60s .. the only 60 I've had work out is the soft point flat base Hornady. Others .. hollowpoint, vmax/ballistic tip, or anything boat tailed, or the partition, all failed. With monolithic bullets (Barnes X) I'd expect 45s to work, wouldn't bet on anything heavier.

A lot of stuff you'll just have to try. I'd start with the 50 grain ballistic tip or VMAX. Don't overlook the 50 grain Hornady SX or TNT, they've held together for me at max velocity with relatively new, smooth throats and barrels though they may fail as the gun wears / throat gets rougher.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by T_O_M

It's about length, not weight. The two are generally connect but not absolutely so. Boat tail vs flat based, polymer tipped vs lead tipped vs hollowpoint, and conventional cup and core vs partition vs monolithic all matter.

I expect lead core 50s to work with a 1-14" twist. Most 52-53s will but the 53 grain VMAX likely won't. 55 are a mixed bag. Flat based lead, probably. Others less likely. 60s .. the only 60 I've had work out is the soft point flat base Hornady. Others .. hollowpoint, vmax/ballistic tip, or anything boat tailed, or the partition, all failed. With monolithic bullets (Barnes X) I'd expect 45s to work, wouldn't bet on anything heavier.

A lot of stuff you'll just have to try. I'd start with the 50 grain ballistic tip or VMAX. Don't overlook the 50 grain Hornady SX or TNT, they've held together for me at max velocity with relatively new, smooth throats and barrels though they may fail as the gun wears / throat gets rougher.

Thank you. I thought the bullet length would be very important. My understanding of ballistics is limited, but with a slower twist, I should be looking at shorter bullets. The previous owner made some interesting choices, because the rifle has a standard length action (which would allow for very long OAL), but then the slow twist will make those longer bullets less accurate. I'll try out the 45- and 50- grain bullets first.

wink I guess I need some 80-grain depleted uranium core bullets for shooting ground hogs at 600 yards. Anyone got a few of those laying around? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a Retard Twist Rate(1-14") 22-250,the 50 'Max is always your best pitch. The 53 doesn't play well in Winter,especially at Low Tide. Hint.

Math is routinely unsettling to Dumb Fhuqks,despite it never being subjective. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

A Retard 22-250,will only stabilize (3) of these .224" projectiles and because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,that's a very bitter pill. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Flipside being,a chambering well shy of 22-250 case capacity,twisted right,will blow the fhuqking doors off same. That whether 223,223AI,22PPC AFI,22 ARC or 22 BR...if only because I shoot them all in 7" RPM,typically defaulting to the 88 ELD-M(2nd from far right of frame and plainly cited prior). 'Course I shoot 22-250,22-250AI and Speedmires in 7" RPM too. Hint.

The increase in impact velocity and rotational velocity,adds nicely to Terminal Effects,along with slipping atmospherics in vastly superior fashion. I get it,that you Dumb Fhuqkers only "shoot" your mouths and Imaginations,which is never not funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Easy for me to say,as I simply shoot it all and then some. Keep The Hurt Feeler Reports rollin' ladies,as it's funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Give the 53 gr Noslers a go. I’ve an older standard twist ‘250 that shoots those really well at 3850 fps with CFE223. I am at 5500 ft tho so YMMV. The other good news is it shoots just as flat as Stick’s 88 ELDs out to about 900 yards (wind drift will be about double for the lighter bullet tho) and tears the hell out of any varmint unlucky enough to enter it’s path. My fast twist guns are all 6mm or larger so I go to those for longer range critter bombing exercises.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Nuzzler struggles mightily with bullets and connect very fhuqking few dots and a .224" 53gr,sure as schit ain't it. You KNOW they are schit,because a 14" RPM will stabilize 'em. Hint.

Be SURE to start a Thread,when you see and shoot your FIRST 88 ELD M. Hint.

Just sayin'................

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Not pretending, just maximizing what the guy has to work with. No doubt the 88 ELDs are superior for long range work but we both know how they’ll print in a 14 twist barrel.

Next.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What were you shooting 88's in,besides your fhuqking Imagination? Hint.

As plainly cited,the 50 V-Max is King in a Retard twist rate,for Utility. Nuzzler can't even fhuqking begin to hang. Hint.

You are Pretending aloud and fhuqking CLUELESS. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
What were you shooting 88's in,besides your fhuqking Imagination? Hint.

As plainly cited,the 50 V-Max is King in a Retard twist rate,for Utility. Nuzzler can't even fhuqking begin to hang. Hint.

You are Pretending aloud and fhuqking CLUELESS. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

105 Bergers in my 6AI. They run really well at long range. Really similar to your 88s in a 250 actually.

Next.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

I just "happen" to shoot 6AI(amongst a host of other .243's) and you couldn't even pick it out of the crowd. Hint.

WHY do you even fhuqking "try" Hint.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You are a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

I just "happen" to shoot 6AI(amongst a host of other .243's) and you couldn't even pick it out of the crowd. Hint.

WHY do you even fhuqking "try" Hint.

Lol. Third from the right. Right next to the 6-284 (or Shehane - can’t quite tell if that’s a 35 or 40 degree shoulder) and 6/06 on the end. Glad I could help. Have a nice evening schtick.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
52 gr. Sierra will work out to 400 yards if your gun likes them. 52 gr. A-max is better choice and will get you out to 800 yards. Other bullet weights in 22-250 don't interest me so I don't talk about them or use them. Keep loads at the upper end of load charge and they stabilize just fine. Use powders in same burn rate or close to H-830. Also, a 22-250 is .224 cal. and not 6mm so don't try to compare them, not same animal.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 04/26/24.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you for the reply. When I bought the rifle, I knew that the twist rate was going to be an uncertain factor. The seller could not tell me much of anything about the rifle. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that it would be a 1-12 or faster twist. But, since I will be shooting at 2500-4000 feet, I cannot really count on any significant altitude factor.

I already bought a couple of hundred different bullets in different variants of middle weights to try out. If it turns out that my maximum range is limited to less than 600 yards, that's not really a big deal.

Q: I may live out here in Oregon, but My family roots go back since Day 1 in the area you live in. I was born in Bluefield.

As mentioned above, the 53 VMax and a host of other bullets in that weight range would work just fine, to include the Nosler 53 grainer. This is if your rifle has a one in 14 twist or a 1 in 12. I have several 22.250- with both the one in 14 and one in 12 twists. Those bullets stabilize just fine where I live here in Oregon and our local range ( one of the larger ones on the West Coast ) in at 1250 feet altitude. We have steel plates out to 600 meters, and with bullets in that weight range, I can hit those all day long at that distance off the bench.

On the other end, where Schtick is preaching up the virtues of the 1 in 7 twist on a 22.250, I have one of those also, based on a Ruger Action that previously was a 243 barreled rifle. So I have the longer magazine on it and can seat bullets out there quite a bit. That rifle is shot mainly with 75, 80 and 88 grain bullets. And what Schtick is saying is true with it. But at the same time, that rifle can shoot many of the 50, 52, 53, 55 and 60 grains bullets out to 600 plus yards with no issues and without them blowing up or wasting themselves coming out of the barrel. Exceptions that would blow up coming out of the barrel would be the SPSX or the 50 grain TNT mentioned by TOM.. who lives just down the highway from me, here in Oregon, by about 50 miles.

So there in Tazewell Co, you should have zero issues hitting 600 yds accurately with what you have, regardless of altitude, or the twist rate. If my A.O. was where you live, my bullet choices would be covered with the 53 V Max, 53 Ballistic Tip or Varmaggeddon ( either one ), the 55s in V Max or Ballistic tip, or the SPs, the 60 Sierra HP, the Hornady 60 SP or HP. Most of the 50 and 55 grain bullets, such as the Speer TNTs ( both 50 and 55 grainers ), Sierra's HPs and SP, and about any of the 52 and 53 Match Bullets from any of the major manufacturers.

Most of the same bullets will hold up in a 1 in 7 twist also, out to 600 yds easily also.

I've shot pretty much all the bullets I mention above out of the 1 in 12 twisted rifles, ( my favorite being a Model 70, with a 28 inch barrel, with a magnum contour) and then the Ruger with a 24 inch barrel, magnum contour with the one in 8 twist and the longer magazine and throat to fit that bullet length. If you had the 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist, for ground hogs or coyotes, I'd suggest the 68 grain BTHP Hornady or the 69 grain Sierra Match King. Two of my favorite bullets, that I didn't mention above.

So I'd say you got your world covered with choices for your rifle, and the 600 yd line is well within range and accuracy potential. Your altitude should not be a hinderance there in Tazewell. Heck, me and a buddy that lives up the Hwy in Roseburg comes down to our local range, and we spend a little time shooting at steel gongs out to 600 yds, using a charge with IMR 4227 or 4198, or RL 7, with bullets in the 50 to 60 grain weights. And heck with his one in 12 twist rifle ( a Tikka), got him set up with some loads utilizing 63 Sierra SMPs and 70 gr Speer SMPs. We both have the right scopes on top with the rifle reticle to do that. His Tikka just sports an old Leupold 12 X with a target dot reticle, but it had a turret added to it at the factory after it was bought.

I wouldn't sweat your choices. The list of what to avoid is much smaller than the list of what would be good for your intended uses. Don't over think it. Ya got something you wonder about, put a round or two down the barrel with it and the barrel will tell you all you need to know about your rifle and its barrel's appetites and what it likes or doesn't.

Addendum;

I see on your profile, you are a Marine. Sempre Fi Brother. My dad was a Marine, but I was Army as I wanted to be a corpsman. Went in after college, but came out of The Army as a Nurse and a Paramedic. Never used that Pre Law degree I got in college.

good luck with your new toy.
best regards,
john chr. / seafire.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
BIG S*&T F86ks up another thread!!!

HIp

Q
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Thanks, Seafire! Always good to see another hillbilly! I hope to get the time to do some sighting in this weekend, but work has been killing me this week.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, Seafire! Always good to see another hillbilly! I hope to get the time to do some sighting in this weekend, but work has been killing me this week.

Keep me posted on how it works out for you Q!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.