Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Neosporin Ointment in the Nose Might Be Potent Antibiotic
Medically reviewed by Carmen Pope, BPharm. Last updated on April 23, 2024.

By Dennis Thompson HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, April 23, 2024 -- Want to prevent a respiratory infection?

A fingerful of Neosporin antibiotic swabbed inside your nose might help you fight off a range of invading respiratory viruses, a new study claims.

Lab animals whose noses were treated using neomycin -- the main ingredient in over-the-counter Neosporin ointment -- mounted a robust immune defense against both the COVID virus and a highly virulent strain of influenza, researchers found.

The same nasal approach also appeared to work in humans, this time with Neosporin itself.

The ointment triggered a swift immune response from genes in the human nose that serve as a first line of defense against invading viruses, researchers reported April 22 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“This is an exciting finding, that a cheap over-the-counter antibiotic ointment can stimulate the human body to activate an antiviral response,” said Akiko Iwasaki, a professor of immunobiology and dermatology at Yale School of Medicine, in New Haven, Conn.

Neosporin contains neomycin, bacitracin and polymyxin B, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Medicine.

The COVID-19 virus has infected more than 774 million people and killed nearly 7 million, researchers said in background notes. Meanwhile, flu viruses cause up to 5 million cases of severe disease and a half-million deaths annually.

Against these threats, humans deploy treatments that are typically taken orally or intravenously, researchers said. These approaches focus on stopping the progression of infections.

But researchers think a nasal-centered therapy has a much better chance of stopping infections before they can spread to the lungs and cause life-threatening illnesses like pneumonia.

Starting with mice, researchers found that nasal neomycin prompted a strong immune response in those exposed to COVID and flu viruses.

Neomycin also strongly defended lab hamsters against contact transmission of COVID, researchers said.

Some healthy humans who had their noses swabbed with Neosporin also showed a strong immune response.

“Our findings suggest that we might be able to optimize this cheap and generic antibiotic to prevent viral diseases and their spread in human populations, especially in global communities with limited resources,” Iwasaki said in a Yale news release. “This approach, because it is host-directed, should work no matter what the virus is.”

Sources
Yale University, news release, April 22, 2024
Disclaimer: Statistical data in medical articles provide general trends and do not pertain to individuals. Individual factors can vary greatly. Always seek personalized medical advice for individual healthcare

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Neosporin Ointment in the Nose Might Be Potent Antibiotic

Some healthy humans who had their noses swabbed with Neosporin also showed a strong immune response.

“Our findings suggest that we might be able to optimize this cheap and generic antibiotic to prevent viral diseases and their spread in human populations, especially in global communities with limited resources,” Iwasaki said in a Yale news release. “This approach, because it is host-directed, should work no matter what the virus is.”

HCQ and ivermectin were also cheap generic treatments against the Rona, but couldn't be allowed, else no EUA status for the jab. Let's see if the above possibility ever sees light of day beyond this single study publication.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I haven’t read the article but based on the quote posted in bold I have a question. Are they proposing that antibiotic ointment will prevent viral infection?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by IZH27
I haven’t read the article but based on the quote posted in bold I have a question. Are they proposing that antibiotic ointment will prevent viral infection?

Originally Posted by kappa8
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Yes, surprisingly that's exactly their contention.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When that particular antibiotic is applied to the interior of the nostrils, it appears to trigger the immune system's antiviral response such as to dramatically reduce the likelihood of a virus's spread to, or further development in, the lungs.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't inexpensive nasal spray budesonide do the same?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Interesting. It seems that the article will be worth the read.

Does the research address the negative impact of long term use on the natural balance of bacteria in the sinuses?

I could see that many would abuse the use of the antibiotic effect of Neosporin opening themselves up to other problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. It seems that the article will be worth the read.

Does the research address the negative impact of long term use on the natural balance of bacteria in the sinuses?

I could see that many would abuse the use of the antibiotic effect of Neosporin opening themselves up to other problems.

Good point. In our dry desert climate lots of people have dry nasal passages and use Vicks, Vaseline, etc. for that purpose. This would seem a logical alternative with added benefits but what is the downside?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.