Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a call from a friend who has a 2019 Tacoma with 88,000 miles on it. It's one of the loaded out 4x4 TRD Pro models. A woman hit the front quarter panel and pushed the hood up. All parts replaced and the truck will be showroom condition when done - no engine damage and the chassis is in order. They are waiting on a core? part that is backordered to finish reattaching the front quarter panel, that could take 6 months. He has to sell it due to time constraints and purchasing a new truck for work. The dealers offered a trade in deal and he offered to sell it to me close to that figure. I don't know what that number is yet. So, with this brief description in mind...

Would you buy it even though it is wrecked?
What figure would be your go ahead on purchasing?

Thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if it is done correctly by a good shop that knows what they’re doing, and the price reflects the damage I would not hesitate.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buy it for yourself if that is a truck you want.

If you don't plan on keeping it long, you may have a problem with people buying a salvage title...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The big issues will be whether their is a need for a rebuilt title and insurance to cover it.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd want to see the estimate and repair parts list first - ensure that it's really just what's being described. Also would want to know for sure the vin/options are definitely TRD PRO and not TRD Off Road or TRD Sport. There is a difference.

I'd expect to see a PRO - no accidents on the lot for about 36k here, private party like 32 then? Figure in the accident and you're likely a bit lower - how much depends on what the actual repair is.

I imagine they're offering him about 25-27k on trade in, with the damage? (hard to say without knowing his repair estimate)

Again - that's local to me in WI, GA might be different - supply/demand and all that.

Me

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
How much?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There is no such thing as a front quarter panel. There's front fenders, inner fenders, a "core support" which holds the radiator (probably the backordered part) and the front bumper, grill, various brackets, etc. Make sure the frame and front suspension has been checked out on some type of laser alignment rack, and any structural damage fixed properly. The rest is cosmetic- - - -the truck would run and drive just as well without it. I taught collision repair for several years, and grew up around a frame straightening and wheel alignment shop in the 1950s.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've literally been pricing late model tacomas like crazy the past month...looking for one for my son.

I agree with post above, one that hasnt had all that happen to it should be in the 35k range. Still crazy in my mind but its the time we are living in. I checked out a 21 and 22 trd pro with less miles, one was 36 and one was 38.

I literally just test drove a 2019 with 88k on it, limited edition, had all the bells and whistles, just not 4wd. It was 28,000. No wrecks. But I didn't bite.

I don't know if its all the incentives on the full size trucks now or what, but I'm seeing a ton of used tacomas out there now.

I don't know, I know 88k isnt the highest mileage for a toyota compared to other makes but your are getting at end of warranty and dealing with a wrecked vehicle that you still are waiting on parts for. I'd probably pass unless it was a deal. Definitely check out who did the work. They probably offered him 25 on trade I would think if that. Your buddy should be getting a nice diminished value check also from his insurance company.

Last edited by killerv; 04/24/24.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If it wasn't considered a total loss there shouldn't be a "rebuilt title". If repaired correctly I don't see an issue. Possibly have a mechanic that you trust check it out first.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
I literally just test drove a 2019 with 88k on it, limited edition, had all the bells and whistles, just not 4wd. It was 28,000. No wrecks. But I didn't bite.

Weird thing about Tacomas in my experience when I bought my 22. The "Limited" was mostly cosmetic. On a line item by line item comparison to the TRD Off Road - I had a lot more stuff at a better price. What I didn't have were fancy rims and a "limited badge".

I also felt like for the 10k to move up to a PRO, I could put one heck of a suspension package on to rival OEM for less as the real difference between mine and the PRO was the PRO's shocks, badging and auto trans.

I see where base TRD Pro's for 2024 start a hair above 62k now, 10k more than the 2022 IIRC.

Me

IC B3

4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
There is no such thing as a front quarter panel. There's front fenders, inner fenders, a "core support" which holds the radiator (probably the backordered part) and the front bumper, grill, various brackets, etc. Make sure the frame and front suspension has been checked out on some type of laser alignment rack, and any structural damage fixed properly. The rest is cosmetic- - - -the truck would run and drive just as well without it. I taught collision repair for several years, and grew up around a frame straightening and wheel alignment shop in the 1950s.

I'm no collision tech, so forgive me for my lack of specifics and $hit memory. The backordered part is exactly as you mentioned - core support. I believe it is also the front fender, not sure about the inner fender.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It all comes down to price. You said that the chassis and drivetrain are fine and it doesn’t sound like anything vital was damaged. Given that the accident wouldn’t bother me a bit if the price is right.

The Pro model is overpriced for what you get IMO compared to a TRD OR model but it’s a very cool truck and top dog if you’re into Tacoma’s. If you can get it for a decent bargain and are in the market for a midsize truck I’d buy it in a minute if I were you.

4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killerv
I've literally been pricing late model tacomas like crazy the past month...looking for one for my son.

I agree with post above, one that hasnt had all that happen to it should be in the 35k range. Still crazy in my mind but its the time we are living in. I checked out a 21 and 22 trd pro with less miles, one was 36 and one was 38.

I don't know if its all the incentives on the full size trucks now or what, but I'm seeing a ton of used tacomas out there now.

I don't know, I know 88k isnt the highest mileage for a toyota compared to other makes but your are getting at end of warranty and dealing with a wrecked vehicle that you still are waiting on parts for. I'd probably pass unless it was a deal. Definitely check out who did the work. They probably offered him 25 on trade I would think if that. Your buddy should be getting a nice diminished value check also from his insurance company.

His insurance has picked up the tab, he didn't divulge any other reimbursements. It was also a hit and run, so, there is more red tape between him and his ins.carrier.

4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
How much?

The dealer is working on it atm and will give him a quote upon completion, so IDK what they will come up with yet. I'll post it if he gets back to me and I'm still interested.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Real question - would you be interested in the truck if it hadn't been in the accident?

I mean, and respectfully, are you looking for a truck, a Tacoma at this age/mileage and this one fits the bill or are you interested because it's available?

I love Tacomas. At 5'11" the seating is fine for me, they do what I need them to work wise and they're like driving a go kart. Fit down overgrown fire lanes, back country roads etc - plenty of room for hunting gear etc. Is that what you're looking for or is it on the radar because of a perceived deal?

Tacomas aren't for everyone. Some don't like the seating, others need to pull more than 6k a lot, some don't like the mpgs etc. The PRO will have a stiffer ride at slow speeds, shocks will be more expensive to replace/rebuild given they're Fox 2.5's on it with remote reservoirs and internal bypass. Can do it yourself with tools etc but expect to pay $200 or so each to be rebuilt by a pro. And Fox recommends a rebuild every 50k miles (I'd go longer lol) Depending on where you get them - they're a 600-800 per replacement cost.

Me

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As long as it isnt retitled as a salvage it may be worth considering

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I currently have a Tundra and am sold on Toyota's. I know the quality is there and I'd pay what it takes to maintain it fwiw. The roughest scenario I'd run this for, would be riding through a deer lease or to get to some "off the track" fishing spot. Doubt I'd haul anything heavier than a canoe and probably stash groceries in the back more than anything else.

The seller is a friend and not the type to screw me over, so, I know from his stand point there isn't any trickery.

My trust of machines lacks blind loyalty and my concern is: Will this truck operate within a reasonably maintained condition? Or, should I make it a hard pass as "once it is wrecked you'll have nothing but maintenance headaches going forward?" I know there are a few grease monkeys on here and a plethora of Tacoma lovers that can give me some insight to this particular situation and any related experiences they can shed some light on the matter.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over at tacomaworld.com there is a price thread stickied in the 3rd gen section. Good place to compare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4winds
I currently have a Tundra and am sold on Toyota's. I know the quality is there and I'd pay what it takes to maintain it fwiw. The roughest scenario I'd run this for, would be riding through a deer lease or to get to some "off the track" fishing spot. Doubt I'd haul anything heavier than a canoe and probably stash groceries in the back more than anything else.

The seller is a friend and not the type to screw me over, so, I know from his stand point there isn't any trickery.

My trust of machines lacks blind loyalty and my concern is: Will this truck operate within a reasonably maintained condition? Or, should I make it a hard pass as "once it is wrecked you'll have nothing but maintenance headaches going forward?" I know there are a few grease monkeys on here and a plethora of Tacoma lovers that can give me some insight to this particular situation and any related experiences they can shed some light on the matter.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

If the damage is cosmetic - I'd not worry at all, assuming I needed/wanted the truck. Even still - short of a transmission rebuild or engine rebuild (not replace) - it's pretty hard for me to feel nervous about ongoing maintenance issues. Flooding or electrical fires - I'd avoid 10000000000%

Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MAC
As long as it isnt retitled as a salvage it may be worth considering

If 'light' damage and priced accordingly even with a 'salvage' title I wouldn't be too afraid of it.
It doesn't take much to get to 'salvage' these days IMHO

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.