-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only know one guy personally who has been affected by a spider bite. No certain idea as to what spider or when he got bit.

He was on a cane fro a year and a half until they removed the entire leg. Maybe an allergic reaction to a bite that most of us experience? I don't know.

I'll continue to kill on sight.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doubt it was an allergic reaction that caused it.......allergic reaction doesnt do that, usually stops your breathing more than anything on a serious reaction......most likely it was the result of a secondary infection resulting from the bite, might not necessarily been a recluse....course sorta this has also happened as a result of a mosquito bite and similar normally benign events. sorry to hear about the guy yah know.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rattler,

His bite could have been any damn thing, really. No one officially categorized it as anything.

If it was a wicked Staph infection following the bite, I'd believe it.

I was just surprised at how limited the medical solution is in terms of relegating a bite to standard fair.

This poor guy (friend) ran a beverage shop and imported great beer. He was a corrections officer before the bite. Toward the end, you could smell the funk as you walked in from his leg...

New York. Spider.

What a shame, and what an amazing creature...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was in Idaho during archery elk season a few years back and every daddy long legs in the area decided that our tent looked like a good wintering area....Would go to bed and the little basterds would start crawling, dropping on your head, sleeping bag, everywhere....Could not sleep until we drove to Avery and bought the last can of Raid on the shelfs the day before the season....sprayed a aline around the tent on the ground and those little suckers would not cross it....A couple days later we found an old mineshaft and had to look inside..went in about twenty feet and happened to shine the flashlight up....was probaly ten billion daddy long legs and who knows what over kind of spiders on the ceiling....Inches thick and moving....I got out of there quick....Still get the shivers over that one....

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
4X4 YUCK!!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
It's a nasty mutha....

Then again, it is a spider. They get destroyed on sight, regardless of species.

Amen, Brother!!!

Kill 'em all!

Todd

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you get bit you need to go to the hospital as soon as you can.

They are "reclusive" meaning they like dark quiet places like the rocks around a garden or the underside of you mailbox. If you mess with them they get pissed and will nail ya.

Spot

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by woofer
i hate spiders. i kill every one i can get a hold of. i hate spiders. i kill them all. i hate spiders. i will shoot them if i have a gun. i hate spiders. death to them all. i hate spiders....

working renovations and such i get the pleasure of venturing into 100 year old crawlspaces and such. wearing a #00 haircut i cant tell you them number of times i have smashed my head on floor joists swinging wildly when i feel something on my head. i normally wear a hat but then i feel something UNDER my hat and i snap... that little button on top of the hat driven into your skull really hurts without hair!!!!

i hate spiders.... i hate pictures of spiders. i hate stories of spiders. i hate spiders...

woofer

p.s. that hand is the sickest $@%#^$%^ thing i have ever seen. thanks

Now that chits FUNNY!! And...I HATE spiders!!!

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You want to see some gross videos, go to Youtube and search for spider bites. WARNING - EXTREMELY GROSS.

Kevin Haile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They like dark moist areas. One place that we used to find them and the source of both of the bites I mentioned above are the underground concrete water meter boxes that most folks have out in their front yard. Black Widows love those dmn things. Be very careful should you ever need to put your hand inside one.

I used to raise greyhounds, and the pups till a year old had raised houses about three feet off the ground. This was in Florida, so everything was damp, but the houses were relatively dry. The dog houses were always full of black widows. Their webs we just plain ugly, no pattern at all.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My daughter's teddy bear, Jerry, was bitten badly about 8 days ago. It's pretty ugly:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Be careful out there, people!!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Res ipsa loquitor. wink

Last edited by toltecgriz; 02/10/08.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, as usual, I missed the whole thread.

For what its worth, one of the guys at our hunt lease got bit by a brown recluse while shopping at Wal Mart. He pulled a box off a shelf and the spider plopped onto his arm. He knocked it off but, over the course of a day or so, this volcano-looking sore erupted on his arm. Antibiotics fixed it up. Another hunting buddy accidentally smashed one in his pants pocket while driving. The venom ate a few layers of skin off his leg. Looked like a nasty burn.

My wife hates spiders as much or more than anybody. When her office was robbed, she got mad and almost hit the armed robber with her cash drawer. When she sees any spider, there's this gasping shriek that she makes. Its the spider scream because nothing else evokes that sound. She didn't make any such noise when that guy stuck a 9mm in her face. Its reserved for spiders.

We rented a house for about a year and a half that was INFESTED with what we call wolf spiders down here in Florida. They are pretty harmless but they get a lot bigger than a recluse. A big one will be as big as a child's hand. They're fuzzy too. I got tired of trying to spray them because they run too fast. My solution was a 32-20 S&W revolver. You take an empty case, put a primer in it and about a grain (I'm going from memory here) of a fast powder like AA #2 in it. Then you take uncooked grits and fill it to the top. Seal the end with tissue paper and nail polish or 1/2 a medicine capsule and you have a shot shell that will blow them to smitherenes without waking the neighbors. It won't hurt the drapes but if your drywall is textured it will blast the texture right off. I wear glasses but never had any bounce back hard enough to hurt. Grits granules probably have a pretty bad BC.

We also made them from .32 S&W Longs and even made some with more propellant in .30 Carbine cases. Those were for shooting them off the eaves of the house at night. You can shine their eyes with a flashlight.

We tried 38 Specials but the extra bore size wasn't needed and it required too much powder to be "quiet."

When we redid our kitchen last summer (different house), I made a few up just in case. Sure enough, we found the great grandma of all brown recluses inside the space for the dishwasher. We asked for no quarter and we gave none. Blew her to bits right there in the kitchen.

I'm sure that somebody else on this forum must have done the same thing. How come I'm the only one that admits to it?

Check your local game laws before hunting spiders with a flashlight.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
An acquaintance of mine got bit in the forearm some ten years ago and, being diabetic, it killed him within a few weeks.

I'm curious as to why diabetes was a factor in his death from spider bite?

Diabetes reduces the effectiveness of the body's imune system.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Moby1
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
An acquaintance of mine got bit in the forearm some ten years ago and, being diabetic, it killed him within a few weeks.

I'm curious as to why diabetes was a factor in his death from spider bite?

Diabetes reduces the effectiveness of the body's imune system.

That and tissue does not want to heal as rapidly in diabetics. With the acquaintance of mine the wound kept getting worse, eventually getting into his bone marrow.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A previous poster mentioned grand daddy longlegs.

I have read, but do not know it for a fact, that these spiders are deadly poisionious, much more so than a snake or any other spider.

The only reason few people are bitten by them is because their mouth is so small.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Been bit twice by a Brown Recluse. Never bothered me much.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
The brown recluse spider, Loxosceles reclusa, is a well-known member of the family Sicariidae (formerly placed in a family "Loxoscelidae"). It is usually between 6�20 mm (� in and � in) but may grow larger. It is brown and sometimes an almost deep yellow color and usually has markings on the dorsal side of its cephalothorax, with a black line coming from it that looks like a violin with the neck of the violin pointing to the rear of the spider, resulting in the nickname "fiddleback spider" or "violin spider". Coloring varies from light tan to brown and the violin marking may not be visible. grin

So, what's your point ??

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1234567
A previous poster mentioned grand daddy longlegs.

I have read, but do not know it for a fact, that these spiders are deadly poisionious, much more so than a snake or any other spider.

The only reason few people are bitten by them is because their mouth is so small.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.asp

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,097
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.