Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What is the "Agenda ???"

To have Humans removed from the entire West- they work at this 24-7-365 .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Something else might have killed the calf, any video of wolves killing it?
LMAO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In about 35 days, those wolves will be hitting the elk calves and CPW will start a five year study to find out why calf mortality is so low.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In about 35 days, those wolves will be hitting the elk calves and CPW will start a five year study to find out why calf mortality is so low.
Like all agencies they won't start that study for at least 5 years. Then wait 5 years before doing anything. Agencies are always late and reactive. Its like they don't care....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Make that the first "documented" livestock kill.
Many are killed, but not documented - the wolf folks won't pay damages unless it is proven ("documented").
If a kill isn't found nearly immediately - no dice!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I would imagine that the ranchers will solve this problem on their own.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

more likely why calf survival is so low, and why mortality is so high...

unless your comment is so phrased to show the CPW gets it backwards as well as late?

each wolf pack will consume a mature deer about every other day, or about two mature elk a week.

unless they are consuming fawns and calves, then triple these numbers for the small and tasty..

Last edited by jameister; 04/04/24. Reason: typo

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn! I know Jeromy! He’s our warden in our unit.

That mean there are wolves in your unit?

I don’t know Jim. He’s out of the Hot Sulphur Spring station there at Byer’s canyon.
We are in unit 18. Two years ago our ranch foreman showed us a video his daughter took on her way home from work up at Walden of a pack on their county road. Big damn bastids. No juveniles. And that was two years ago. But ranch is a good 40 or 50 miles cross country from Walden. At the very least. least.

Supposedly, there are no wolves north of I-40.
I know of a few, though - including one I saw on my neighbor's place ~1 3/4 mile west of our mutual fence line.
Wife saw one 2 years previously on our place, and her sister and BIL saw one twice on their place, about 8 miles further east, the same year.
I know some hands that have seen them for years on the Vermejo. Wouldn't put it past Turner to import them.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no doubt wolf's without tracking collars will be killed by ranchers. I have seen the same thing in Oregon many years ago while elk hunting, came across a dead wolf that looked to be in his prime that was shot and left to rot, I asked a friend who was from the area and said that ranchers kill them on sight if they are not wearing tracking collars.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There are wolves in southern Wyoming, they are not protected out of the management area in the northern part of the state and can, and have been shot on sight, I know of two killed in Platte and Albany counties. I believe wolves migrated to northern Colorado some time ago, well before the reintroduction, and they will continue to extend their range (nature of the beast). Yes they will prey on livestock, and given they aren’t hunted or harassed they will do so more and more often, to say nothing about their predation of all the ungulate species.Also, though rare, wolves will and have attracted killled and devoured humans. There are a number of documented case in North America, and Eurasia , of wolves stalking and killing humans solely as a food source. Granted , many of those cases were a result of wolves becoming habituated to human activity, but certainly not all. My opinion, wolves should never been reintroduced in the inhabited areas of the lower 48.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by duke61
I have no doubt wolf's without tracking collars will be killed by ranchers. I have seen the same thing in Oregon many years ago while elk hunting, came across a dead wolf that looked to be in his prime that was shot and left to rot, I asked a friend who was from the area and said that ranchers kill them on sight if they are not wearing tracking collars.
need to be killed collars or not. But they probably would seek the death penalty if they caught you. Idiots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.denverpost.com/2024/04/03/colorado-wolf-depredation-calf-reintroduction-ranchers/

"One of the wolves released in Colorado in December killed a calf this week — the first verified livestock killing by one of the wolves that was part of the state’s voter-mandated reintroduction effort.

A rancher discovered the carcass on Tuesday in Grand County, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials on Wednesday confirmed the calf was killed by a wolf.

Wildlife officials initially refused to disclose whether the responsible wolf was one of the 10 released in the state in December or was one of the two wolves remaining from a pack created by animals that migrated from Wyoming in 2020."

LHS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just wait until calves are hanging halfway out of the uterus, wolves will have a smorgasbord.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Just wait until calves are hanging halfway out of the uterus, wolves will have a smorgasbord.
In that case, they eat the ass out of the cow and kill her as well.

But in all honesty, that does not take a wolf. Coyotes are quite capable in that regard.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
one wolf down, many more to go. They say of "natural cause" of death.
https://kdvr.com/news/local/reintroduced-wolf-found-dead-in-larimer-county/#:~:text=DENVER%20%28KDVR%29%20%E2%80%94%20One%20of%20the%2010%20wolves,it%20%E2%80%9Cbecame%20aware%E2%80%9D%20of%20the%20death%20on%20Thursday.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Something else might have killed the calf, any video of wolves killing it?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Was surprised to see in WA that after spending millions and all the hoopla, the indians have killed 22 of them legally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ranchers fight back!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LHS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
In that case, they eat the ass out of the cow and kill her as well.

But in all honesty, that does not take a wolf. Coyotes are quite capable in that regard.

This^^^ Usually happened at least once a late summer/early fall in our irrigated pasture.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've not known any of our scrawny southern coyotes to kill cattle, but I shoot them anyway for good measure. I've seen them meandering around our cattle and the cows will watch them without showing alarm. I figure they follow the cows around to eat the yellow cheesy calf doo. A coyote would probably take advantage of a newborn calf if his mama had walked off. Big dogs are a different story, but we haven't had that problem for several years.

If cattle and sheep are available you can just bet the wolves will concentrate on them. Slow footed and easy.

Why don't y'all just shoot them and walk off and most importantly don't talk about it.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.