Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Cliffs: Lady finds some old dynamite in a home she bought. Calls a friend and the two of them call the fire department to report it. The FD, in turn, calls the bomb squad Rambos who decide to detonate it in a residential area at 4 AM because - safety!

https://www.ksl.com/article/50990242/crews-detonate-ancient-dynamite-sticks-found-in-holladay-home

Stupid bastards obviously don’t know how to deal with old dynamite. Proper disposal is to just burn it. Yeah, the home would have sustained fire damage. Instead, it’s a smoking hole in the ground undoubtedly with debris blown everywhere

Yours in Liberty,

BL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
So the dynamite has been laying around there for ?decade- decades? and they have to make a fast decision and blow it up immediately?
Home residence be damned?

Last edited by ol_mike; 04/24/24.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wonder if they considered using a robot to try and move it out of the house, though I'm sure it has been sweating pretty badly. Damned sure get a headache touching that, LOL. Burning it would have been the best way to get rid of it and the least issue for neighbors. I bet her insurance company wont cover her. I am curious how she and the home inspector missed it.

NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Remember these idiots are making decisions every day affecting our lives.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rainshot
Remember these idiots are making decisions every day affecting our lives.
This.

They are not evil, they really are this stupid.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
reminds me of an outhouse story here where a bear cub got in and the door swung inwards. Home owner wanted to save the bear and outhouse so called the professionals .

Warden Mike shows up loads a 12 GA and alternates slugs/buck through the outhouse for a few magazines worth.

Dead bear and splinters left of the outhouse. SOLVING PROBLEMS EVERY DAY!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The dynamite was so deteriorated that trying to move it would have set it off.

'Fire experts have now managed to second-guess ship engineering, EV engineering, and have moved on to explosives disposal. We sure do have masterminds here.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They did that schit across the road from me, except it was just an old shack.

There's a cattle farm across the road from where I live. Down in the lower cow field by the creek, stood an old falling down shack. It had been there as long as I can remember. I always thought it was a spring house from way back when, but evidently it was full of old junk. One day the son-in-law decided he was gonna go down there and clean it out and find out what was in there. He came across a bunch of old wooden boxes full of dynamite. He didn't want to move it, so he calls the non-emergency number and notifies the authorities. They come with every piece of equipment known to man. They have fire & recue, police, bomb squad, mobile command center bus, the whole nine yards. My wife tried to leave to go to the store and they had the whole place shut down and she couldn't leave and they told her to go back home and they'd let her out in a couple of minutes. About 10 minutes later there was a huge explosion. The shack was no more.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/25/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say that that whole FD is a bunch of pyro's. Just where in hell do they get the "authority" to blow up somebody's home?! I hope the homeowners sue that schitty 'burg into oblivion.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
https://www.latimes.com/california/...lion-so-far-with-number-expected-to-rise

Toss in the recent portable deer blind bombing also.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've been researching the subject, and apparently old dynamite sweats nitroglycerin. It was originally manufactured absorbed in something to make it stable short of a blasting cap explosion. Once sweated out, though, it become extremely dangerous to handle. Might not have been any other alternative.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How many of these incidents are the fire dept. doing training in case they get a real bomb?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Followup in the news today. There were over 30 sticks, stored in two locations. The big stack in the basement was stored with a bunch of unknown chemicals. Estimates were that it'd all been there close to 50-60 years. It was EXTREMELY unstable.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A guy I used to work with told me his Dad had an old safe on the farm, full of dynamite. He didn't know what to do with it so he buried it in a field.

100 years from now somebody could get a surprise trying to get in that thing... shocked

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These are some dumb sumbiches.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Followup in the news today. There were over 30 sticks, stored in two locations. The big stack in the basement was stored with a bunch of unknown chemicals. Estimates were that it'd all been there close to 50-60 years. It was EXTREMELY unstable.

Rocky:

Please don’t make the actions of a government agency look reasonable.

The ‘fire can’t deal with that.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Blowing up unknown chemicals? Did they get permission from the EPA?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Real brite idea

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Around 20 years ago we sold my grandfather's house in town. The new owners found some dynamite in an out building somewhere. Grandpa was a well driller back in the 30-60s. New owner called in bomb squad. Not sure what ever happened to it but it wasn't taken care of on scene. Same grandpa had a big drum of black powder in a cardboard barrel in the basement. Lightning struck the house and started a small fire. Grandma found that the fire got in the wall and embers were landing on the lid of the barrel in the basement. That could of got sporty. She talked about all the time. RIP to the 2 of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.