Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Reliable and accurate enough you'd be comfortable using it when things go south? My sister is on a tight budget but is thinking she needs an AR for possible home defense. She's slightly rural so distances could go to 100 yds.

So what AR's would the collective recommend for the above scenario?

Thanks for looking.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son in law bought a Bear Creek, AR-10 shoots accurate, and cycles nicely, but the trigger is not very good. Almost 8 pounds of pull and it creeps. Easy enough to fix with an after market trigger. If you scroll through this AR thread you will find the discussion about my son in law's rifle.

Last edited by Hastings; 04/24/24. Reason: added word

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Garand thumb says PSA will work.

They ran it hard to 6000

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My brother finally bought an AR. Trying to get him to now pick up a Sig Romeo5 and get in on one of those 10-pack Pmag deals. I think he'd be set up ok then. Next, I need to convince him to pick up an 11.5" pistol for his wife. 🤩

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
At the moment, I have a Palmetto 300BO pistol jocked-up for house duty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also have Colt and BCM in the inventory, so it seems I have confidence in the PSA.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a PSA blem lower and the cheapest 300BLK upper they had. I've been very happy with it. Replaced the trigger just to have a really good one, but the trigger that came on it was fine.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy separate complete PSA uppers and lowers. You can put one together for less than $400 and a really good one for less than $500. The EPT trigger blem lowers are almost always available.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think Paul is right for a change😛. Assemble, (not “build”) one to her needs. I’d recommend spending a bit extra for the PSA lower with the SSA-E trigger which will make it much easier to shoot well. It’s still on sale:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...trigger-black-no-magazine-516444743.html

Pair with an decent upper and maybe a Sig Romeo 5 and some good mags; Gen3 Pmags are about $15 a pop and if you spend $75, Magpul ships free.

Show her how to keep it wet so it works when needed, and encourage her to shoot it often so she’s got the drill down and won’t forget something important under stress.

An alternative might be a Mossberg 500 20ga (youth, for a good fit). About $400. One of my shooting pals got one for his smallish wife, and it’s very slick-operating. Slugs will go to 100 with a red dot.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/25/24.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
An alternative might be a Mossberg 500 20ga (youth, for a good fit). About $400. One of my shooting pals got one for his smallish wife, and it’s very slick-operating. Slugs will go to 100 with a red dot.

A nephew of mine has one of those 20 gauge youth models and it is a really nice little pump gun.

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I'll pass on the info.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My brother finally bought an AR. Trying to get him to now pick up a Sig Romeo5 and get in on one of those 10-pack Pmag deals. I think he'd be set up ok then. Next, I need to convince him to pick up an 11.5" pistol for his wife. 🤩

You're kind of evil, ya know.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You obviously think very little of you sister. You got a AR you trust? Give it to her. Then, you buy/build yourself another AR.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
MT. Marine, I've followed your threads on the PSA carbines and figured that would be a good direction

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rapier
You obviously think very little of you sister. You got a AR you trust? Give it to her. Then, you buy/build yourself another AR.

You no not what you speak of.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You're kind of evil, ya know.

Lol. Yeah.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think Paul is right for a change😛. Assemble, (not “build”) one to her needs. I’d recommend spending a bit extra for the PSA lower with the SSA-E trigger which will make it much easier to shoot well. It’s still on sale:

Pair with an decent upper and maybe a Sig Romeo 5 and some good mags; Gen3 Pmags are about $15 a pop and if you spend $75, Magpul ships free.

Show her how to keep it wet so it works when needed, and encourage her to shoot it often so she’s got the drill down and won’t forget something important under stress.

Good advice!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
MT. Marine, I've followed your threads on the PSA carbines and figured that would be a good direction

I believe PSA products are a good value.

I've got several pistol and carbine AR uppers in 5.56, 300BO, 7.62x39. A few stripped lowers I assembled myself. A PSAK GF5. The AK and one of the 5.56 uppers have the FN barrels. I've picked up a few of their BCGs in 5.56 and 7.62x39.

My inventory of PSA items is well over a dozen. I've never received a lemon from them.

The only thing I have done is added H3 buffers. Palmetto seems to be 'generous' with the gassing. I've never measured the gas ports, but I found a standard carbine buffer came back with a perceptible 'thump' in the back of the extension tube with MK262, M855 or M193 ammo. When I put in H3 buffers, it smooths them out real nice.

I imagine that PSA gasses them to ensure reliable function with the lower powered steel case ammo.

If you go that route, and decide you want to add some weight to the buffer, you can save a few bucks by just buying the tungsten weights, and swap them for the steel weights that are already in the carbine buffer. That's how I did it anyways. You can usually buy a 3-pack, so you can essentially tune a standard buffer into an H, H2, or H3. I don't think PSA sells the weights, but if you google "AR tungsten buffer weights", you will find them from a few retailers.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BMT
Garand thumb says PSA will work.

They ran it hard to 6000

BMT

HARD?? LMAO

they flat out abused that thing pretty much tried to burn it up..
I'd like to have watched them take the rifle down clean it good relubricated and put it back in service and see what the accuracy was like then..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When I worked at walmarks I sold a number of those to husbands who had a non shooting or petite wife. Light recoil and will do plenty of damage across the living room, down the hall or across the bedroom.

It's a whole lot faster than waiting for a cop to show up at 3:00 a.m.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I believe PSA products are a good value.

I've got several pistol and carbine AR uppers in 5.56, 300BO, 7.62x39. A few stripped lowers I assembled myself. A PSAK GF5. The AK and one of the 5.56 uppers have the FN barrels. I've picked up a few of their BCGs in 5.56 and 7.62x39.

My inventory of PSA items is well over a dozen. I've never received a lemon from them.

The only thing I have done is added H3 buffers. Palmetto seems to be 'generous' with the gassing. I've never measured the gas ports, but I found a standard carbine buffer came back with a perceptible 'thump' in the back of the extension tube with MK262, M855 or M193 ammo. When I put in H3 buffers, it smooths them out real nice.

I imagine that PSA gasses them to ensure reliable function with the lower powered steel case ammo.

If you go that route, and decide you want to add some weight to the buffer, you can save a few bucks by just buying the tungsten weights, and swap them for the steel weights that are already in the carbine buffer. That's how I did it anyways. You can usually buy a 3-pack, so you can essentially tune a standard buffer into an H, H2, or H3. I don't think PSA sells the weights, but if you google "AR tungsten buffer weights", you will find them from a few retailers.

That's good info MM, as I've always bought the complete buffers whenever I wanted to change weight for whatever reason.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.