Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.krgv.com/news/dna-resul...-YR9Q11BaNsieJfhlrXAhFhaCNFLZFkLYefXrF2p

My brother did a study with Texas A&I back in the late 80s on Ocelots when he was working on his biology degree.

New DNA testing on a deceased ocelot is sparking theories, excitement and debate about why it was found well outside its known home range.

The male ocelot was killed in 2021 on Highway 281, north of Edinburg. Genetic testing results announced Thursday shows genetic markers that are not present in the known populations in Willacy and Cameron Counties, said Dr. Thomas deMaar, with the Friends of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.

The genetic markers showed DNA that is present in northern Mexican ocelots, but not in the known Texas population.

"It is evident that this animal has all the genetic markers of a Texas animal, similar to Laguna Atascosa and Willacy County population but also has two genetic markers relating it to the ocelots of northeast Mexico," said deMaar.

What's strange about this case is the ocelot was found 50 miles from its known home range, along a stretch of 281 north of the Edinburg airport and south of Linn-San Manuel.

"Most of them are short dispersers," said Dr. Mike Tewes who's spent 42 years researching the endangered ocelot. When males reach maturity, they set out to find a new area to live. Tewes says few ocelots travel more than a few miles away from where they were born.

The discovery of new genetic markers is sparking excitement about the potential origin of the male ocelot.

Dr. deMaar gave three possibilities: One, the ocelot came from Mexico. Two, it came from the known populations in Willacy and Cameron Counties.

He prefers the third possibility.

"It does give some evidence that there are populations of ocelots in Texas that we don't actually know about and have not been reported," deMaar said.

The findings give hope that the struggling population, facing threats from inbreeding, may have more members in northern Hidalgo County. But there is disagreement over the findings.

"It's really very inconclusive," said Tewes. "It's very difficult to suggest that there's a new population anywhere based on those data."

The deceased ocelot's genetics were compared to a genetic database of samples taken from the Willacy and Cameron County populations. But that database does not account for all ocelots in that area, and it hasn't been updated since 2005, said Tewes.

"Every ocelot that we get genetic samples from is just like one small piece of a bigger puzzle," said Tewes. "And there's so many holes in this puzzle."

Debate may continue over the meaning of the genetic testing. But the fact that an ocelot was found in northern Hidalgo County is causing excitement and hope for the species' future recovery.

Report a Typo

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in Arizona there are 3 different Jaguars now back in the state maybe more the DNR in Arizona figure these big cats came up from South America , i was in the Arizona Mountains this winter but never seen anything but wild donkeys , wild sheep , and a couple of elk .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a dead one a few years ago on a highway by Corsicana.

I am completely familiar with the animals from my years in jungles, and the outdoors, so it is no mistake.

Ocelots and Jaguarundi range much farther in Texas than the stay behind the computer wildlife biologist could ever imagine.

Black bear too

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/25/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is my understanding there is a strong population of jaguars in Mexico. Same with the Mexican gray wolves. Northern Mexico and Arizona are at the extreme north end of their range. So declaring them endangered and trying to reestablish their populations is misleading. Imagine that!

Could be this ocelot just kept getting kicked out of every place he tried to set up home and had to move a little further. Maybe most don’t but probably some do.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We have had Jaguarundi on ranch here in N. Western Ok. And black bear have been in Black Mesa National Park for a long time, migrating.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem believing Jaguarundi range into Oklahoma because I have seen them pretty far north in Texas. Texas Parks & Wildlife probably won’t agree.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mountain lions (cougars) started showing up about 15 years ago in Iowa. There have also been sightings of black bears in northeast Iowa. I'm sure a wolf or 2 has snuck across the frozen Mississippi into northeast Iowa as well. To me it all revolves around one animal, deer. If you find deer you are going to fine predators. I know the Iowa deer population has grown considerably since the 1950's. There have even been reports of elk in Iowa. The predators are going to go where the food is. IN my part of the state that has been deer.

Yes, predator protection has played a part but a den cannot survive without food. And that has been deer. In the southern States my guess is pigs are a big draw. Just my assessment.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 8 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.