Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Got a couple and got a link to this site for software downloads.

https://github.com/egzumer/uv-k5-firmware-custom

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about doing it. Screen on the Baufeng is very small and I don't seem to get any response from any of the buttons once I plug it into the USB port.

Anybody know their way around this?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about doing it. Screen on the Baufeng is very small and I don't seem to get any response from any of the buttons once I plug it into the USB port.

Not yet but I guess this HERE is the ultimate bible to using these things.

Me

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ooops. made a long reply about programming, then realized you weren't talking about that. I have never done software/firmware changes, just channel programming and opening up frequency range.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 04/25/24.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most hand held transceivers connect to your computer via a USB cable (computer end) to both the earphone and microphone jacks (transceiver end).

You need a free program called CHIRP, which allows you to enter transmit and receive frequencies, access tones, etc. When you connect the two, and start CHIRP, the first thing you will do is DOWNLOAD FROM RADIO. Then populate the spreadsheet with your desired frequencies, and click UPLOAD TO RADIO. In a few seconds, it will be done.

For the radios I'm familiar with, the cable is available for about $3 from AliExpress.

Remember, the penalties are very high for operating on frequencies that you shouldn't, and if you don't have a ham license, operating on ham frequencies will make you about as welcome as a poacher on this board.

Good luck. PM me if I can help further.

Be not weary in well doing.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by denton
Most hand held transceivers connect to your computer via a USB cable (computer end) to both the earphone and microphone jacks (transceiver end).

You need a free program called CHIRP, which allows you to enter transmit and receive frequencies, access tones, etc. When you connect the two, and start CHIRP, the first thing you will do is DOWNLOAD FROM RADIO. Then populate the spreadsheet with your desired frequencies, and click UPLOAD TO RADIO. In a few seconds, it will be done.

For the radios I'm familiar with, the cable is available for about $3 from AliExpress.

Remember, the penalties are very high for operating on frequencies that you shouldn't, and if you don't have a ham license, operating on ham frequencies will make you about as welcome as a poacher on this board.

Good luck. PM me if I can help further.

This is great information. I would only add that you should also avail yourself of a website called Radioreference

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

'
I don't have a Baofeng, but it sounds like you just want to do basic programming of the device ?
Updating firmware is another thing entirely.

I found a tutorial with screenshots of basic programming of the Baofeng UV-5R

https://www.baofengradio.com/blogs/...g-uv-5r-series-with-programming-software

It may be helpful to have two computers.
One to run the tutorial and one to do the programming.
OR you might be able to print out the tutorial and just use one computer.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need a driver to connect to the radio, and some software to push that firmware to it. I suggest installing Chirp as it will allow both.

You likely don't need the specialized firmware unless you have an unusual use case. The Baofeng stuff does it all and you can unlock the GMRS frequencies with a button sequence.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 4 baufengs. It took a special cable to connect
. Otherwise pretty easy.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Learned more from this in 5 min than the manual in 2 hours

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.