Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’ve watched some of my friends use their Blasers in Germany and last week I was able to handle and try one out in LH. I’ve been shooting right handed rifles for ever and decided to get a dedicated left hand rifle. I have configured a R8 Ultimate and will most likely got 30.06. My go to rifle the last few years is a mid2000’s HS Precision SA2000 in 260 Rem. Love it but the fit and operation of a LH R8 is very tempting.

Has anyone here used one much and do you have any comments or feedback?

I haven’t purchased yet so not looking for validation to justify the price just any feedback you might have would be great.

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I own two LH R8's and will confirm you're making a good decision.

My experience goes back to 2000 when I bought my first Blaser, the R93. I still have R93's but shoot the R8 more now. I have used it in foul weather and never worried about malfunctions of any sort. The QD scope attachment allows me to remove the scope when traveling, reinstall it when I get to camp and know that it will still be zeroed when assembled. The rifle is more accurate than I can shoot.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 04/26/24.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OSU_Sig,

What scope ring setup are you using. I am goin got order the 30mm saddle ring mount but not sure of the size and Blaser didn’t list any sizes. I will most likely mount a Swaro or Zeiss 50mm objective and was wonder if you can share any feedback on what you have set up. Eurooptic was steering me away from the dedicated Blaser scopes as they are orphans here in the US if you decided to change scopes. I was going to stay away form the picitiny rail because that will just add height. If I use it for night hunting, I’ll go with a front mounted thermal as I just parted with my Trijicon REAP IR 60MM thermal to help finance the rifle purchase.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use the standard Blaser saddle mount and I also have a couple of pic rails. When using low Warne QD rings, the pic rail is okay and I actually prefer the Blaser pic rail & my choice of rings to their standard 1'' or 30mm rings.

Regarding the Blaser scopes, they are fantastic. If you plan to set a rifle up and don't anticipate changing optics on your barrel, don't be afraid of them. the only reason I would refrain from them is due to upfront cost and limited power ranges. The plus to them is you can get them with a Blaser rail mount which is the absolute best way to mount a scope. No rings, no way for the scope to be canted and eye relief is ultra adjustable.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/03/24.

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was looking at the Blaser Infinity line and they run about 4K. Pretty much near a Swarovski Z8. I also have looked at their Blaser B2 2.5-15X56 IC which is in the 2K range. Not sure yet and just ordered the rifle and have 6 months to work on it. I see the advantages of their mounting system and plus it's $400 I don't have to spend on a saddle mount that can go to the purchase of one of their scopes.

I will primarily be using this rifle in the SE for deer and hogs and decided that this was my buy a dream rifle, sell seven others and go hunt. My reserve rifle is a HS Precision 260rem and Dad's Weatherby Vanguard 1970 version in an HSP stock because I don't want to scratch the nice wood! Down the road, I'd like to get a R8 barrel made for 260 rem as most of my hunting reloading is set up around 260 rem. I went 06 on the Blaser for a good all around foundation caliber to start with.

So a bit off topic, is that last week in Germany, I got to handle the new Dentler DR21 and that is a nice rifle although unconventional. People call it a bullpup but it is not. It's short like a Blaser with a 20 inch barrel but has a 23 inch barrel. Has a squeeze cocking system on the grip and concealed mag that is pretty easy to change. Funky design but I handled one with a scope and suppressor on it, the balance was perfect. Not coming to the US anytime soon and may be too new of a concept to get accepted here in the US unless it's exclusively chambered in 6.5CM! ha ha...

Thanks for the feedback.

1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good luck on your Blaser journey. There is a company in Utah that will make custom chambered barrels for the R8. J Sip & Sons is the company, I think.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Good luck on your Blaser journey. There is a company in Utah that will make custom chambered barrels for the R8. J Sip & Sons is the company, I think.

Steer Clear of the mentioned outfit.
Stick with Blaser factory components if at all possible.

Blaser rifles/parts can become an addiction so Beware!

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve been very close to selling a few m70s and getting an r8. I’m left handed and my boys are righties which would make in much easier to share. I’m also tired of traveling through airports with a long rifle case. I’ve had a few Uber/taxi refuse to take me and the Blaser looks more like a guitar case.

Let us know how you like your new rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hitman
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Steer Clear of the mentioned outfit.
Stick with Blaser factory components if at all possible.

Blaser rifles/parts can become an addiction so Beware!
Can you share with us what problems you had with custom barrels from J Sip or other makers? I have 2 custom barrels and know of several others that shoot lights out.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a couple myself Cliff.
The issues with J Sip are well documented on both Blaser sites, which iam pretty sure you are very aware of.

Maybe things have changed over time,which would be great but time will tell the story

Elmer Laitala was the real deal on custom Blaser barrels.Wish he was still in the game.
Palehorse took over Elmers barrel production. Cant comment on them as No experience with.

I absolutely do know Blaser barrels command higher resale values compared to aftermarket

Last edited by hitman; Yesterday at 02:27 PM.
1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
240 NMC,

You would be well ahead to go take a look at BlaserBuds or BlaserPro. May be of more benefit on getting you squared away

Years of information

Last edited by hitman; Yesterday at 02:39 PM.
1 member likes this: cooperfan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For the record, both of my barrels are Elmer barrels and the others I'm familiar with are also Elmer's. He was really good and I'm sorry he's no longer making barrels.

1 member likes this: cooperfan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,788
Posts18,496,024
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.