Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Friends,

I was out doing some testing of loads and decided to run a couple of 6 shot drills with the 9mm 148 grain +P hardcast flatpoint, and the .45 ACP 250 grain hardcast flatpoint that I produce.

I was using a Glock 19 and a Glock 21 for the drills. BTW, the velocity for the loads are 1100 FPS for the 9mm and 925 FPS for the .45 ACP.

I was shooting at a steel plate that I had brought along. I managed to leave my stand at home but propped it up with the arm that connects to the stand. When hammering on it with the .45 it was falling over and the last round went over it as the plate fell.

The results

With the heavy .45 250 grain +Ps in the G21:

.43 was the first shot.
1.56 was the last shot.

So 1.13 seconds for 6 shots.

Bear in mind that I don't shoot competition anymore and I am not as fast as I used to be, and I didn't do any warm ups. But I figure that was good enough.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With the little Glock 19 using the 148 grain +P flat points:

.55 reaction time to first shot.
1.57 was the 6th shot.
So 1.02 seconds for 6 shots.

I ran the G19 again, and finished at 1.58, so it was pretty obvious that that was where my "window" was for getting fast hits.

What was interesting (to me) was that there was basically a 1/10th of a second difference in time between the heavy 250 grain .45 +Ps and the 9mm 148 +Ps. The .45s definitely have more recoil, but for six shots, 1/10th of a second really is not something I am going to be concerned about. Bearing in mind that I have put a LOT of heavy loads through G21s and am used to shooting them, so that is a factor.

Either will work and I will continue to use both. It will just depend on the circumstances of where I am going and what my needs are at that time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

1 member likes this: Sixpack
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ever tested a 40?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I am sure I have done 6 shot drills with 40s.

However, I did not do any that day, and I have not done any with my heavy poly SWC load that I make. That load does 1200 FPS out of a Glock 22, which is flat moving.

In this case I was out doing some chrono and accuracy testing and decided to run a couple quick drills with the 9mm and .45.

The punchline is that I can run these guns FAR faster than I can a DA revolver. I am a huge fan of the .44 magnum, especially in a Model 29, but I acknowledge that I cannot shoot it near as fast as I can a Glock 21. I am comfortable carrying either in the mountains around Grizzly bears, but I acknowledge that there are advantages to the semi auto platforms (for me). For others, they may be more comfortable with a double action revolver.

I have done a fair bit of practice with a .44 magnum and you can shoot it fast, but it takes an experienced shooter to shoot one quickly and accurately versus just making noise.

2 members like this: m_stevenson, Sixpack
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great info Ted, thanks! Whether it translates directly to someone like me is debatable - you probably shoot fifty times as much as I do - but it gives us heathens an idea of what’s possible. I know I can shoot a good DA/SA auto (HK Expert/ CZ Custom CZ97) faster than any of my revolvers in DA. I am making an effort to train more these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, both those loads are real He-Man variety, for sure.

Would be interested to know the pressures.

MM

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought both these loads and shoot them in a Glock 21.5 and a Glock 45, both MOS and set up with the same HS 507c red dot.

They are both easier to shoot than one would think. Lately I’ve been carrying the G45 when pig hunting simply because it’s less weight. I have equal faith in both rounds and don’t ever see myself going back to a revolver again. The ability to dump 13 or 17 rounds of a good hard cast bullet is pretty comforting.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That Gen 5 G21 is such a soft shooting gun it is truly amazing.

G21s have long been known to have soft recoil as compared to a 1911. But the Gen 5 takes it to another level. I was out shooting a while back and ran some generic ball ammo through the gun, confirming the RDO was on. The recoil was so soft I thought something was wrong, so I stepped over to the chronograph and ran a couple rounds through the it. Nope. They were typical factory 230 grain ball, which was advertised as 800 FPS, but was really doing about 750. It felt like it was going in the 600s.

Shooting the big 250 grain flatpoints through the G21 Gen 5 is eye opening in the way the gun absorbs the recoil. That gun is absolutely the softest shooting .45 I have ever shot, hands down.

1 member likes this: Sixpack
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Glock Gen 3 SF 10mm is my most used outdoor packing pistol when in bear, hog, lion country. Fifteen 220 gr. hardcast at 1200 fps is no joke and I shoot it better than a magnum revolver.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

G21s have long been known to have soft recoil as compared to a 1911. But the Gen 5 takes it to another level.

Yes, they are very soft shooting for sure, don't own one but have shot them enough to fully agree.

Never shot a Gen 5 in 45 though. What do you think makes it noticeably better on felt recoil?

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The heavier slide, combined with heavier spring weights and dual recoil system no doubt contribute to the softer recoil. The standard G21 Gen 3 is a soft shooting gun already, but the gen 5 is even more so. As much as I am a long time 1911 guy, there is no comparison when it comes to recoil.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no substitute for real hands on experience

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
2 members like this: Mackay_Sagebrush, Sixpack
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
If those times are from a draw, you've got Miculek beat. That's smoking fast. What distance?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
we don't, of course, have grizzly bears or Moose down here in FL, but I can say that a heavy loaded 10MM ( Using a Glock 40) will stop a large hog from messing with you.

Sam......

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I frequently carry my gen3 G21 or G22 and never feel lacking.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reality is that plastic framed striker fired autos are more reliable in dirty conditions than revolvers.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

G21s have long been known to have soft recoil as compared to a 1911. But the Gen 5 takes it to another level. I was out shooting a while back and ran some generic ball ammo through the gun, confirming the RDO was on. The recoil was so soft I thought something was wrong, so I stepped over to the chronograph and ran a couple rounds through the it. Nope. They were typical factory 230 grain ball, which was advertised as 800 FPS, but was really doing about 750. It felt like it was going in the 600s.

Shooting the big 250 grain flatpoints through the G21 Gen 5 is eye opening in the way the gun absorbs the recoil. That gun is absolutely the softest shooting .45 I have ever shot, hands down.

Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[/quote] Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid.[/quote]

Says someone who obviously has NO idea what they are talking about. frown

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

In a true self defense situation (arms reach) no sights, optics, etc. are needed. However, my woods carry gun needs optics AND it doubles as a self-defense firearm.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Shhh. The adults are talking. Go sit in the corner and listen a spell. You might learn something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am an unapologetic revolver fan for several reasons, but I can't deny that pistols---and Glocks in particular---are better in many situations.

Belly crawling and busting brush has a way of getting dirt and grime into the weirdest of places. The gaps between the frame and cylinder are especially vulnerable, sometimes even when in a holster. Alder twigs and leaves crammed in there can jam a cylinder from rotating: ask me how I know.

1 member likes this: ldmay375
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great thread and thanks for the Info, Mackay.
Was just wondering what the distance of the shots in your drill was ?

Also wondering if you have tried the same drill with your 10mm Hard Cast loads in a Glock 20 ?
And if not, will you please do so in the future to give us comparable times ?
It would be interesting to see the difference.
My Glock 20 with the 220 gr hard cast BB loads definitely has quite a bit more recoil than my Glock 21 with comparable loads.

I’ll readily admit the Glock 21 is the softest shooting 45 acp I own. Mines a Gen 3. I need to go ahead and upgrade to a Gen 5 with optics, for these “old eyes”. The sights on my guns are not near as “sharp” as they used to be. 😬

Thanks again for another great post.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mack, as you know I've always been a longtime proponent of my S&W Mountain Guns in both 44 and 45 Colt flavors, but reality set in that as I've aged, quick, accurate shooting has deteriorated with my big wheel guns.

Hence the reason I have made the move to a Kimber Camp Guard 10 mm as my field gun now. 200 gr Hard cast are potent pills out of a 10mm that's for certain and the recoil impulse is better suited for me and my circumstances.

Keep loading that wonderful ammunition and good luck!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Then, there is the .460 Rowland kits with the compensators for steel and plastic guns.

https://460rowland.com/

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
That .960 is impressive too.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The auto loader has a great deal to recommend it for outdoor use. A successful quest for appropriate ammunition is an excellent achievement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't played much with autos vs revolvers in cold temps. I may have to experiment a bit with that, as revolvers still may hold an edge there.
I do know that my AR-15 and a couple of different .22 LR semi-autos won't cycle at -20F, even when degreased, and regreased with 'extreme low temp' gun oil, but I only used a few mid powered factory loads so that may have been part of the issue. Same with my Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. Even a couple of pump shotguns have had the trigger/sear/hammer gum up in those temps, with that 'low temp' oil applied.

I degrease and then dry graphite lube bolts/firing pin assemblys in my bolt guns in those temps, plus my trapping revolver and they have worked fine, down to -40F.

While I know those temps aren't realistic for a lot of what you all are discussing, I still think it is worth mentioning.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've seen the slide on my auto loaders operate visibly slower at temps in the minus zero F° range, but I've never had a stoppage. The experience gave me a preference for revolvers in the cold when I was younger. I'm not sure I'd be as concerned now. I'd definitely be particularly focused on careful prep of the gun before carry. The slim profile of certain guns does make them easy to protect under clothing, and access from beneath that clothing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Shhh. The adults are talking. Go sit in the corner and listen a spell. You might learn something.
Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid. I'm guessing you probably have optics on yours.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why do you say optics are stupid?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Optics on pistols is the future. In another 10 years, maybe less, you will see them on the majority of handguns carried by LE and the military.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
Optics on pistols is the future. In another 10 years, maybe less, you will see them on the majority of handguns carried by LE and the military.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Optics are more accurate and faster and that is a proven fact
If you will do not realize this, then you are too stubborn to see reality.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have had my 4" Model 29 freeze up and the cylinder become inoperable after taking a tumble into the snow. Plus carrying it close to my body in a tanker rig, it made just enough of a difference that the metal was a slightly warmer temperature and it attracted moisture. I could cock the hammer back, but the cylinder would not rotate. I worked my way back to the truck and stuck it up on the dash, and let the defroster thaw it out while I continued my jackrabbit safari with a Glock 21 .45 acp, which ran flawlessly no matter how cold it was.

A few years back a number of us gathered at Ken Hackathorn's place for a cold weather shoot. I cannot remember exactly how cold it was but it was well below zero and it was a good observation of both how men and machines operate differently in temps around -20s or so. Proper lubrication of weapons is critical. People definitely slow down and have to think through processes such as reloading guns, putting guns back in holsters safely with numb hands, doing transition drills, etc.

When it comes to firearms, I use a very light layer of 0W-20 motor oil. This allows both handguns and rifles to work fine. It has been my experience, hunting in sub zero temps every year that the semi auto with loose tolerances, like a Glock (versus a 1911) is FAR more reliable than a revolver. A single bit of moisture from body perspiration will cause a revolver to freeze up when that migrates into the lockwork.

There is a very good reason why outfits like the Danish sled patrols use a Glock when operating in the arctic. They have conditions that are obviously rather harsh and chose equipment that would operate best in that environment. Many may not know it but they chose to use old 1917 Enfield 30-06 rifles as their primary rifle along with the Glock 10mms.

I have carried a Glock .45 with heavy loads for many years in the mountains and find it to be ideal for harsh environments. Plus I like the very lightweight to capacity ratio. That is hard to beat. Normally when I get an animal like an elk down, I will leave my rifle at the truck and just pack a handgun for subsequent trips back and forth, either using a pack frame or a game sled to transport the meat out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Semi-auto handguns tolerate abuse and harsh conditions better than revolvers. Revolvers *might* tolerate neglect better. My cold weather hunting is from about 0* - low single-digit numbers with highs in the teens maybe. I use Ronson lighter fluid for lubrication. It is very thin, wicks excess liquid off, and leaves a thin oily residue on the gun parts. It is not for high-volume shooting but for a few days of hunting in the cold and a low volume of shots fired it works quite well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I know for a fact that the FBI uses red dot sights. I'm not sure if it's a requirement across the board but they do use them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Mackay, that is good info. I carry a XdM 45acp with the 13 rd mags and a load imitating yours in a HPG Recon. When carrying with that method, the extra weight of the 45 over a 9 isn't noticeable for me. So,I definitely prefer to have the 45.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had my 4" Model 29 freeze up and the cylinder become inoperable after taking a tumble into the snow. Plus carrying it close to my body in a tanker rig, it made just enough of a difference that the metal was a slightly warmer temperature and it attracted moisture. I could cock the hammer back, but the cylinder would not rotate. I worked my way back to the truck and stuck it up on the dash, and let the defroster thaw it out while I continued my jackrabbit safari with a Glock 21 .45 acp, which ran flawlessly no matter how cold it was.

A few years back a number of us gathered at Ken Hackathorn's place for a cold weather shoot. I cannot remember exactly how cold it was but it was well below zero and it was a good observation of both how men and machines operate differently in temps around -20s or so. Proper lubrication of weapons is critical. People definitely slow down and have to think through processes such as reloading guns, putting guns back in holsters safely with numb hands, doing transition drills, etc.

When it comes to firearms, I use a very light layer of 0W-20 motor oil. This allows both handguns and rifles to work fine. It has been my experience, hunting in sub zero temps every year that the semi auto with loose tolerances, like a Glock (versus a 1911) is FAR more reliable than a revolver. A single bit of moisture from body perspiration will cause a revolver to freeze up when that migrates into the lockwork.

There is a very good reason why outfits like the Danish sled patrols use a Glock when operating in the arctic. They have conditions that are obviously rather harsh and chose equipment that would operate best in that environment. Many may not know it but they chose to use old 1917 Enfield 30-06 rifles as their primary rifle along with the Glock 10mms.

I have carried a Glock .45 with heavy loads for many years in the mountains and find it to be ideal for harsh environments. Plus I like the very lightweight to capacity ratio. That is hard to beat. Normally when I get an animal like an elk down, I will leave my rifle at the truck and just pack a handgun for subsequent trips back and forth, either using a pack frame or a game sled to transport the meat out.

Thanks for the insight. Glocks and similarly designed pistols absolutely have been the most reliable for me, in any conditions. I dearly love a 1911 .45 ACP but I just can't trust them in extreme cold, no matter how I prep them with lubrication. I can see ice buildup along a cylinder causing it to jam up like you experienced and I could only guess that taking the same tumble could have the same body heat/ice effect along a Glock's slide rail. Have you tried imitating that same situation with a Glock? I'd be curious as to how it would fare.

I keep a Ruger Single Six---my trapping revolver---in a holster under my bino harness so it rides much like a tanker holster and have taken several dumps on my snowshoes, along with a few snowmachine wrecks. I haven't had snow/ice be an issue with it yet after those dumps but maybe I am just lucky? -20F is business as normal on my line. -40F is when things really get interesting. This particular day was cold enough to completely gum up my shotgun's trigger/sear system, despite being degreased and dry graphite lubed (or maybe it was just re-lubed with 'extreme cold oil'-I don't recall). It wouldn't budge at all. The revolver worked fine though. I don't recall taking a tumble that day but the drifting snow may have had a similar effect. I want to say it was colder than -40F but can't be certain of that. It was cold enough that my pickup wouldn't start when I got back to it.

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/30/24. Reason: Updated-can't quite recall

3 members like this: ldmay375, desertoakie, Sixpack
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, T-Inman that is a great picture. You have some great experiences, I always like reading your post.

I'm just musing in general here... If a revolver freezes, what needs to be done for it to function again in the field? Mac took his M29 back to the truck turned the heat on inside the truck and let it defrost the S&W. With a semi-auto drop the magazine, unload the chamber, and then vigorously rack the slide several times and dry fire it. If it won't dry fire and you absolutely have to access the inner workings it is easy to field strip the gun and maybe scrape or melt the snow or ice out of the trigger mechanism with a BIC lighter. I doubt many of us would take the sideplate off our revolvers in the field and blow the ice out. The modern striker-fired guns like the Glock, M&P, Sig, etc. are not only more robust in harsh conditions, but also easier to get back up and running if there is a problem. I truly love my S&W revolvers. But if push came to shove and I could only have one handgun in a wilderness survival situation my choice is easy. My G20 would be my choice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Friends,

I was out doing some testing of loads and decided to run a couple of 6 shot drills with the 9mm 148 grain +P hardcast flatpoint, and the .45 ACP 250 grain hardcast flatpoint that I produce.

I was using a Glock 19 and a Glock 21 for the drills. BTW, the velocity for the loads are 1100 FPS for the 9mm and 925 FPS for the .45 ACP.

I was shooting at a steel plate that I had brought along. I managed to leave my stand at home but propped it up with the arm that connects to the stand. When hammering on it with the .45 it was falling over and the last round went over it as the plate fell.

The results

.43 was the first shot.
1.56 was the last shot.

Bear in mind that I don't shoot competition anymore and I am not as fast as I used to be, and I didn't do any warm ups. But I figure that was good enough.

1.57 was the 6th shot.

I ran the G19 again, and finished at 1.58, so it was pretty obvious that that was where my "window" was for getting fast hits.

What was interesting (to me) was that there was basically a 1/10th of a second difference in time between the heavy 250 grain .45 +Ps and the 9mm 148 +Ps. The .45s definitely have more recoil, but for six shots, 1/10th of a second really is not something I am going to be concerned about. Bearing in mind that I have put a LOT of heavy loads through G21s and am used to shooting them, so that is a factor.

Either will work and I will continue to use both. It will just depend on the circumstances of where I am going and what my needs are at that time.

That kind of performance is unfathomable to me. I can't imagine what you were like when you were shooting competition.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
First, T-Inman that is a great picture. You have some great experiences, I always like reading your post.

I'm just musing in general here... If a revolver freezes, what needs to be done for it to function again in the field? Mac took his M29 back to the truck turned the heat on inside the truck and let it defrost the S&W. With a semi-auto drop the magazine, unload the chamber, and then vigorously rack the slide several times and dry fire it. If it won't dry fire and you absolutely have to access the inner workings it is easy to field strip the gun and maybe scrape or melt the snow or ice out of the trigger mechanism with a BIC lighter. I doubt many of us would take the sideplate off our revolvers in the field and blow the ice out. The modern striker-fired guns like the Glock, M&P, Sig, etc. are not only more robust in harsh conditions, but also easier to get back up and running if there is a problem. I truly love my S&W revolvers. But if push came to shove and I could only have one handgun in a wilderness survival situation my choice is easy. My G20 would be my choice.

My Glock 20 would be my first choice also. My Glock 21 would be my second choice, of course, followed by my old Ruger Super BlackHawk. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I much prefer threads that Evolve vs. DEvolve. Thanks for good information.

I haven’t played in real cold temperatures for a while but I’d like to comment on revolver reliability. I learned the hard way when I hip carried a S&W out riding ATVs - I hit just a bit of dust/dirt in it and it froze up. I had to disassemble and clean it. Not a lot of fun. For that reason, I bought a Ruger Redhawk when I was in AK. Far fewer moving (delicate) pieces gave me better reliability.

And as far as lube goes, I would turn to very thin synthetic. Another AK lesson learned.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Two weeks into a three week canoe trip 25 years ago (Noatak River) my buddy and I both had grit lock up our Blackhawks. Easier to fix than removing a side plate, but still vexing. Since, I've continued to carry Blackhawks (and a few Smiths) for fun, but if at all serious it's either a plastic bottom feeder or a Ruger DA. If I should wash up on a gravel bar with every orifice packed I can toollessly break down either and flush. Currently alternate between an HK45 and a 4" Service Six, both with Lost River ammo.

Alan
2 members like this: ldmay375, Mackay_Sagebrush
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've had my XD-40 for about 20 years. That thing has been on my hip for miles and miles of hiking and hunting in Arizona. I have put down several wounded deer, killed coyotes, rabbits, even a bobcat with it. It gets carried far more than it gets shot, but never fails to answer the call when I do squeeze the trigger.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
If those times are from a draw, you've got Miculek beat. That's smoking fast. What distance?

I have shot at a match or two that Miculek was at, and trust me, we are not in the same league. I am not sure he is even human. A lot of guys can shoot as fast (and much faster) than I can. Jerry Miculek can run a double action revolver trigger at speeds that should not be possible. Plus he can run a semi auto like nobody's business too.

I don't even rate anywhere close. My DA revolver six shot speeds are substantially slower as compared to my semi auto speeds. While I have no issue using one for defense, it takes a LOT more concentration/focus to do so, and it is simply easier to get fast and accurate hits (for me) with a 1911 or a Glock.

But between the 1911 and the Glock, I find the Glock to be a better outdoors tool for austere environments where the elements may play a factor. Plus they are lighter, require less maintenance and carry a lot more ammo. I still carry a 1911 frequently in the woods, and especially when it may be a trip that is combined with going into town (such as to dinner) as the 1911 conceals better for me than a big Glock 21 .45.

It simply depends on what I am doing. Tools in a toolbox.

2 members like this: AZtwins, desertoakie
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
For those 10mm fans,

I just finished up a run of 200 grain Poly Coat flat point. These are a bit faster than the traditional hardcast load previously offered. These (the Poly Coat) run 1180 FPS from a Glock 20, versus 1150 for the hard cast. That is where the reliability and accuracy sweet spot was in testing.

They are listed in the classifieds. Not on the website yet.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
For those 10mm fans,

I just finished up a run of 200 grain Poly Coat flat point. These are a bit faster than the traditional hardcast load previously offered. These (the Poly Coat) run 1180 FPS from a Glock 20, versus 1150 for the hard cast. That is where the reliability and accuracy sweet spot was in testing.

They are listed in the classifieds. Not on the website yet.
Thank you for sharing this company.
They are better priced than Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Just a shout out to Mackay and a big thumbs up to his ammo. Was out this afternoon to sight in a rifle for an acquaintance and took a couple pistols along. Was short on time so pretty limited number of rounds, but my Tanfoglio really liked the 200 gr 10mm loads. A brand new P320 45 compact also did very well with his +P 250 gr 45 ammo.

8 rounds benched at 25 yds with 1st round going a little high:

1 member likes this: hardway
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Looks well within minute of bear to me. Good shooting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very nice shooting with good ammo!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I love semiautomatic pistols, but the ones I have are very high end and are made to tight tolerances for accuracy. That’s why I don’t carry them in the field. They’re all too tight and likely to pick up dirt or debris and not function. Most revolvers can function with some level of dirt and grime.

There is a reason the 1911 is made very loose. That’s why I couldn’t carry any of mine in the field. They are “too” accurate if that is possible.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
No Less Bauer 1911s are not loose and they run and are exceptionally accurate.

Revolvers are not less prone to function in a dirty environment, infact they will not run with semi autos in those conditions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Great shooting and thanks for sharing!

For my finger length, I like the size and power of the Glock 22/23 for an outdoors gun. I could see a 20/21 being a great rough-country gun for those who they fit well.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

For my finger length, I like the size and power of the Glock 22/23 for an outdoors gun. I could see a 20/21 being a great rough-country gun for those who they fit well.

If the 22/23 is your "Goldilocks" then a hot poly coated 170 SWC at 1200 FPS is just the ticket!

This one is a tackdriver too!

2 members like this: desertoakie, Lonster
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sage: Why did you not load your 10mm with a larger meplat?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Reality is that plastic framed striker fired autos are more reliable in dirty conditions than revolvers.

I am inclined to agree with this. Less openings / and exposed areas on movement to collect debris, fine powdery dirt/sand, freezing water / snow / ice.

I am definitely a revolver and exposed hammer semi auto guy, but begrudgingly I agree. The packed off fine powdery dust/dirt has personally giving me some noticeable sluggish operation on a couple of S&W wheel guns.

A few hours with a very dusty trail on a 4-wheeler and or Argo created the issues for me. I have never carried a Glock type in the same conditions, but suspect it would fair a bit better.

The revolvers, I also try keep a conscious and regular check on leaf and spruce needle / bark collection when pushing through those areas.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

If the 22/23 is your "Goldilocks" then a hot poly coated 170 SWC at 1200 FPS is just the ticket!

This one is a tackdriver too!

That should definitely work. Your ammo is getting great accuracy, especially for a .40! Is that with a factory Glock barrel?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep,

That is a stock Glock 22, Gen 3.

That load absolutely drives tacks. Love it. And with it being a poly coat, the velocity is right there on the edge of 10mm. Actually it beat some jacketed 10mm loads when I did some chrono testing.

This is definitely a powerhouse load and a great one for outdoors/all around use, if you don't want to step up to the .45/10mm frame size.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
Sage: Why did you not load your 10mm with a larger meplat?

Various projectiles were tested. The one chosen was by far the best choice.

Reliability across multiple platforms is of far greater importance than meplat. If I was only loading for my own personal gun, then I might choose something different, but for a load that is going to be potentially used in 1911s, FN-10, Glocks, XDs, S&W M&Ps, CZs, etc, then other factors come into play.

Commercial loading is not the same as loading for personal use.

Reliability, accuracy and velocity. I want the ammo to work in a wide variety of handguns. One may find a single specific projectile type that works better, or perhaps drive it slower or faster to suit their gun or needs, but for a wide variety the load chosen was developed carefully.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep,

That is a stock Glock 22, Gen 3.

That load absolutely drives tacks. Love it. And with it being a poly coat, the velocity is right there on the edge of 10mm. Actually it beat some jacketed 10mm loads when I did some chrono testing.

This is definitely a powerhouse load and a great one for outdoors/all around use, if you don't want to step up to the .45/10mm frame size.

I'm really liking the current poly coatings. I had some .475 bullets from a few years ago when it was first being used and it wouldn't stay on, sort of like paint. The new stuff stays on and seems like a game changer for cast bullets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Feeding reliability. Thanks for the explanation.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Same here. One alternative- Springfield XDM 45 & 10mm. Or the S&W M&P. Both fit my hand better. Although, I have another Glock 30S headed my way. I plan on doing a grip reduction and stipple job on it.

Last edited by Rugernut; 05/13/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Revolvers are not less prone to function in a dirty environment, infact they will not run with semi autos in those conditions

Sorry, but this statement sounds contradictory.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Just guessing but I don’t think he meant to use a double negative. I was wondering myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McInnis

Just guessing but I don’t think he meant to use a double negative. I was wondering myself.

That's what I'm guessing too, McInniss.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Semi autos are more reliable in a dirty environment, this is a proven fact

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have been carrying a P365 with 147 grain hard cast bullets on my hiking trips. We often hike in places where the more socially liberal man bun and rainbow crowd are often seen hiking. A concealable 40SW would be interesting, I had a 9mm shield and was not impressed so the 40 shield would not interest me, the G23 MOS is interesting but not sure it would ride IWB as well as the P365 nor offer that much more than a 147 grain 9mm. As much as I want to, I just cannot carry my G20 on these (might see a black bear) soiree's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dumb post!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friends,

The results

.43 was the first shot.
1.56 was the last shot.

1.57 was the 6th shot.

Great shooting my friend and great info!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Les makes one of the tightest 1911s out there and are as accurate, if not more so than any other semi-custom 1911. Ive owned them all and Ive put them all to the test. Time and again the baers were the most accurate out to 100yds

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Semi autos are more reliable in a dirty environment, this is a proven fact

So you did mean to say that revolvers are less prone to function in a dirty environments. That’s what we thought.

Kentucky Ballistics has a fun to watch YouTube channel. I saw them do a torture test with a Smith and Wesson model 500. It consisted of dipping the revolver in water and seeing if it would fire. His torture test for Glocks were feezing one in ice for 100 days, burying it in mude for 100 days, etc. sometimes he had to really force the slide to chamber a round but he got them to fire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,800 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.