Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
James Sutherland used a .577 NE for his elephant hunting and IIRC he killed more elephants than W.D.M. Bell.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.475 Linebaugh, loaded up with 410 gr. hardcast WFNGC bullets at 1250 fps.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was gonna say 6.5 Creedmoor but then some guys on here might think you’re over gunned! 😁

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes, the .460 is dedicated to NM jackwabbits, but it might graduate to something bigger. smile

The .404 Jeffery is never too fancy to take hunting. wink
If that .460 seems a bit anemic and for something bigger than NM Jackwabbits......

Yeah, if ya gonna go Fudd, go big....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes, the .460 is dedicated to NM jackwabbits, but it might graduate to something bigger. smile

The .404 Jeffery is never too fancy to take hunting. wink
If that .460 seems a bit anemic and for something bigger than NM Jackwabbits......

Yeah, if ya gonna go Fudd, go big....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hunt them with a binocular & let them be.

That's where I'm at.

Perhaps you should read a bit more on elephant conservation and destruction of habitat. Here's a hint; EVERY place where elephant hunting has been banned, populations crash due to poaching and destruction of habitat by too many elephants...
I am sure your right but wtf anyone would pay big money to shoot a cow elephant is beyond me. Hair off the tail for bracelets, feet for trash cans , meat for the locals and no ivory. Nope don't see it pics would be better. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys don't understand! Use the smallest cartridge that'll do the job. This guy successfully used a 22 LR. Ha ha.

Perhaos, you feel that use enough for the job and using a little more than absolute necessary is OK?

I was only in Africa once -1998 in Cameroon. One village I stayed in had an issue with elephants. The elephants would at times decide to visit the village. They would smash much of the housing and leave. The villagers didn’t admit to anything that would have upset the elephants? Furthermore the villagers didn’t have a 22 handy.

(My experience with the big beasts is only what I have read.)

I get a kick out of how someone uses a way too small a cartridge to do something and then promote their accomplishment.

I will likely never go back to the dark continent. But if I do, I’ll be carrying something bigger than a 22.

I have a 375 H&H AI. That might be ‘overkill’ or it might be marginal. My cousin is organizing a trip for Cape. I want to go and I’m thinking it might work OK and it will likely be filled with TSX or something that might work ok.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bugger, you make too much common sense. Why people want to shoot something with the smallest gun possible is a stupid stunt.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Bugger, you make too much common sense. Why people want to shoot something with the smallest gun possible is a stupid stunt.
Thus the label, “stunt shooter”….

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bugger, when I built mine in ‘90…….Africa was part of the driving force for the build. Sadly, it will never see Africa.

Good Luck with your hunt! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send South Dakota’s governor over there and the elephant problem is solved…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
G
I believe most countries require a 375 or larger. I hope to hunt one in '26 and have a 416 Rigby sitting here waiting for some work smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe a little off track but.....

I have read in an old book, can't remember the title, that was an early historical account of the first permanent European settlers in 1652 AD (the Huguenots) and later, that more or less established the Cape Colony at the Cape of Good Hope, that became Cape Town. They were also mostly part of what made up the old "Voortrekkers" that spread out throughout and settled southern Africa. Anyway....

In one of the written accounts, they talked about being amazed at how the natives killed elephant with just spears and their little poison tipped arrows. It claimed the most common technique was for a small hunting party to find a lone "sleeping" animal and for one hunter to sneak up on it and spear/cut one of its hind leg Achilles tendons. It basically "anchored" the animal in place and allowed the rest of the hunting party to then approach close enough to use repeated spears into the vitals until it was brought down.

I can't say it's true or not but.......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Send South Dakota’s governor over there and the elephant problem is solved…
She could probably turn that into a commercial.

Bet she can shoot.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Reading Mahohboh by Ron Thomson, who killed more than 5000 elephants and was a smart, educated hunter and Rhodesian/Zimbabwean senior Parks ranger will dispel many of the harmful myths stated in this thread. In addition, Thomson was an expert who understood that elephant overpopulation, especially bulls, destroy habitat for all species and create sterile deserts.

Anyone who’s hunted elephants around Hwange or in most of Zim’s prime elephant country can attest to the mistaken notion of “letting nature take its course.” That was the type of stupidity which ruined Kenya’s hunting fields and which leads to the permanent decimation of much sub-Saharan African populated habitat through inefficient subsistence farming and domestic cattle, goat, etc raising by rural Africans.

Hunting elephants in sufficient numbers yields the most return for rural Africans and fulfills the maxim that, in Africa the only wild game that stays is that which pays. If there’s no tangible benefit to the rural population from sport hunting, the game will quickly and ruthlessly be wiped out.

Elephant hunting and control of the herds is absolutely necessary. Sport hunting returns the greatest benefit and reduces the numbers that need to be culled, if done correcltly. The current problem in Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, especially in the national parks and reserves, is too many elephants, not too few.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Reading Mahohboh by Ron Thomson, who killed more than 5000 elephants and was a smart, educated hunter and Rhodesian/Zimbabwean senior Parks ranger will dispel many of the harmful myths stated in this thread. In addition, Thomson was an expert who understood that elephant overpopulation, especially bulls, destroy habitat for all species and create sterile deserts.

Anyone who’s hunted elephants around Hwange or in most of Zim’s prime elephant country can attest to the mistaken notion of “letting nature take its course.” That was the type of stupidity which ruined Kenya’s hunting fields and which leads to the permanent decimation of much sub-Saharan African populated habitat through inefficient subsistence farming and domestic cattle, goat, etc raising by rural Africans.

Hunting elephants in sufficient numbers yields the most return for rural Africans and fulfills the maxim that, in Africa the only wild game that stays is that which pays. If there’s no tangible benefit to the rural population from sport hunting, the game will quickly and ruthlessly be wiped out.

Elephant hunting and control of the herds is absolutely necessary. Sport hunting returns the greatest benefit and reduces the numbers that need to be culled, if done correcltly. The current problem in Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, especially in the national parks and reserves, is too many elephants, not too few.

Thank you! Everybody needs to pay attention to this post.

Who here has actually hunted elephant? I have, and am scheduled to do so once again in July in Zambia. Let's face it, no sport hunter these days has enough elephant kills under his belt to to an expert, especially comparing to experience that hunters/poachers and game control officers had a century ago. (or half a century ago in some cases)

That said, listen to the PH's who guide hunter for elephant. Universally, they rather a client shoot a .375 well, and place the bullet where it belongs than a .458 that they are shy of. Recoil isn't for everyone.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Bugger
I get a kick out of how someone uses a way too small a cartridge to do something and then promote their accomplishment.

I will likely never go back to the dark continent. But if I do, I’ll be carrying something bigger than a 22.

Apparently it was something of a stunt. He knew where the artery was, and tried it once just to see, and did not further recommend it. That's my understanding of the story.

Last edited by plumbum; 04/28/24.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hatari,

While you do your part in Zambia this Summer/Winter, I’ll be back in Zimbabwe. Elephant hunting is necessary for the survival of the species. For the dedicated sports hunter, it’s the pinnacle of hunting dangerous game. It’s a chess game when hunting the herds and IMHO, African hunting at its best.

Returning with the same expert PH and his team provides an opportunity to hunt with professionals who know and respect the elephants. As long as I can walk on the tracks and shoot an adequate caliber DGR, I’ll keep going back.

BTW, after reading and watching many videos on shot placement on elephants, Thomson’s photos and description illustrating and explaining the anatomy of the frontal brain shot is the best. It shows that he was clearly an expert on elephant hunting and provides the practical explanation which is quite useful in the field, when the action is close and needs to be decisive. He makes it clear that this is not the preferred shot for the inexperienced. But should it become necessary, especially in a close encounter, the practical use of external anatomical landmarks as the elephant’s head position changes is the best I’ve seen.

Cheers!

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 04/29/24. Reason: More info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hunt them with a binocular & let them be.

If that's your choice good on you. I would love to hunt them or anything else in Africa, but then I love to hunt North American game too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If properly backed up I would use my 9.3x62 with a well made solid.

The way life should be.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.