-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Any recommendations for a soft padded gun case for a bolt action rifle with a suppressor?

You ain't about that life.
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just take the suppressor off, and either slip it in an outside pocket on the case, or I put it in a soft side pistol case or pistol sized gun sock and throw it in with the rifle. If you do that any WalMart $20 soft side wil work. I'll also slip the suppressor into an outside pocket on my day pack if I'm out hunting and not headed to the range.

I have a couple tactical soft cases for AR style rifles, with internal magazine pouches and a suppressor slides neatly in one of those. Other than my rimfires the only bolt action I have short enough to fit in them is my Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK. The cases are not branded with a name but purchased off eBay for less than $30 each.

If money is no object, then you might buy something like this Voodoo shooting mat/rifle case.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the response. I make around 70 sits in the woods each deer season plus going to the shooting several times a year. Just too much wear and tear taking it on and off each time.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just measure the OAL with the can and search for a case that works. There are oversized cases out there for longer-barreled rifles. A case that will fit a 26” barreled 700LA will generally do anything I need to do, but I cut my suppressed rifles back a good bit.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^ If it won’t fit in a regular length case with the can on, there’s your sign: it’s too long to begin with and a barrel chop is in order. wink

Scopekote? Offers field covers that work, also.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Just too much wear and tear taking it on and off each time.

The suppressor is designed to be removed, and I remove my reglarly to switch between rifles and to prevent carbon lock. I'd rather wear out an aluminum/Ti end cap or ASR adapter which are easily replaced on my suppressor than to carbon lock it to the barrel or muzzle device. Obviously you never stated what suppressor you're using, but there is minimal wear caused by removal and installation of a suppressor.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ace Case offers rifle cases up to 53".

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Midway heavy duty soft cases are good and they also have the retangular tactical style cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several of these, hard to beat for the money.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939158677?pid=286284

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Just too much wear and tear taking it on and off each time.

The suppressor is designed to be removed, and I remove my reglarly to switch between rifles and to prevent carbon lock. I'd rather wear out an aluminum/Ti end cap or ASR adapter which are easily replaced on my suppressor than to carbon lock it to the barrel or muzzle device. Obviously you never stated what suppressor you're using, but there is minimal wear caused by removal and installation of a suppressor.

I leave mine on and only remove them when cleaning the rifle. I'd rather not take the chance of boogering the threads of the barrel, the less removed, the better.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just take the suppressor off, and either slip it in an outside pocket on the case, or I put it in a soft side pistol case or pistol sized gun sock and throw it in with the rifle. If you do that any WalMart $20 soft side wil work. I'll also slip the suppressor into an outside pocket on my day pack if I'm out hunting and not headed to the range.

I have a couple tactical soft cases for AR style rifles, with internal magazine pouches and a suppressor slides neatly in one of those. Other than my rimfires the only bolt action I have short enough to fit in them is my Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK. The cases are not branded with a name but purchased off eBay for less than $30 each.

If money is no object, then you might buy something like this Voodoo shooting mat/rifle case.

This on and off business doesn't impact your POI?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 257Bob

It hasn't IME. I also wouldn't use a suppressor if I had to zero a firearm every time I reinstalled it. I would like to have a couple more dedicated to few rifles, mainly because of weight and over .30 cal.

I only have one centerfire suppressor currently and if I'm out shooting prairie dogs I'm going to switch it between rifles, when I need to let barrels cool. It's a full auto rated can (Omega 300) so I'm not worried about the heat and needing to let it cool like my rifle barrels. I mainly use the ASR adapter and brakes on these rifles. However, my DT end caps are made of softer material than the barrel threads. So I'll mess up my end cap threads before the barrel threads if I'm careless.

I didn't buy a suppressor to only use on one rifle a season. I bought it as hearing protection to use on as many rifles as possible, and to allow me to see impacts through my optics without using a brake. So keeping it on one rifle seems pointless.

If I'm out hunting big game the suppressor stays on for the whole hunt, unless I'm using an ATV to ride in. Then the suppressor comes off as I can't always get it to fit within the Koplin hard case. It's usually because the suppressor puts the optics in the wrong place and I can't close the case. I'm required by law to have it unloaded and in a case for transport with an ATV in Colorado.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob

It hasn't IME. I also wouldn't use a suppressor if I had to zero a firearm every time I reinstalled it. I would like to have a couple more dedicated to few rifles, mainly because of weight and over .30 cal.

I only have one centerfire suppressor currently and if I'm out shooting prairie dogs I'm going to switch it between rifles, when I need to let barrels cool. It's a full auto rated can (Omega 300) so I'm not worried about the heat and needing to let it cool like my rifle barrels. I mainly use the ASR adapter and brakes on these rifles. However, my DT end caps are made of softer material than the barrel threads. So I'll mess up my end cap threads before the barrel threads if I'm careless.

I didn't buy a suppressor to only use on one rifle a season. I bought it as hearing protection to use on as many rifles as possible, and to allow me to see impacts through my optics without using a brake. So keeping it on one rifle seems pointless.

If I'm out hunting big game the suppressor stays on for the whole hunt, unless I'm using an ATV to ride in. Then the suppressor comes off as I can't always get it to fit within the Koplin hard case. It's usually because the suppressor puts the optics in the wrong place and I can't close the case. I'm required by law to have it unloaded and in a case for transport with an ATV in Colorado.

I get that, I just leave mine on the rifles they were bought for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/creedmoor-blue-deluxe-55-inch-or-60-inch-rifle-case
Creedmoor makes awesome cases...but you'll pay a pretty penny for one.

I won't be buying any more Midway softcases for anything I value. Cheap zipper broke after one use. Creedmoor cases are built for 15lb+ rifles and use heavy YKK Zippers.

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/03/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 44 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,461
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.