Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I've followed the thread on the Remington pump rifle with interest, and agree that there is a lot to be said for its usefulness. Just for discussion's sake, how about considering the old flintlock smoothbore as the best firearms weapons system? It has been around in its present state of development for going on 400 years after all, and is still used by many hunters. I submit that such a musket can be used for big game by shooting a patched round ball or can also be used for small game or birds by shooting a load of shot. All you need is black powder, a flint,and a projectile; no need for special ammunition. Simple, rugged, easily repaired and maintained, very reliable even in bad weather. You can find a flint as long as the world is still made of rock; and make powder if you had to. I think that flintlock smoothbore guns could well rank as the best firearms weapon system; what do others think?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd say that a bore size that allows for the use of both shot and ball is darn near the perfect gun! Western movies and historical movies really give the smoothbore a short sheet! More smoothies went west than rifled weapons during the days of westward expansion.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Does Barnes make a TSX for that one? If not, most drug store cowboys wouldn't want to be seen with one. grin

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget they must have synthetic stocks and 56mm variable powered scopes.

Seriously though, I have always held that if one considered the time spent at home reloading ammo, a muzzle loader might be the fastest firing firearm there is.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you can load them with broken up metal trinkets and gravel for that truly primitive hunt.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Barnes make a TSX for that one?

Perhaps they could. The M1 tank fires a sabot round in a smooth bore. The projectile uses fins for stability. It is very accurate, but an anti-tank projectile has different requirements than one for hunting.

As has 458 Win, I've wondered if I spend more time reloading cartridges than I would stuffing a muzzle loader. I'll be getting one as soon as I get back to the US this summer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So as to look authentic, be sure to have your smooth bore flint-lock equipped with a camo, plastic stock. smile

Wayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and with a little more effort, one could manufacture their own powder. You just might be right.

1Minute
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Feast your eyes, gentlemen:

Track of the Wolf

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The smooth bore flintlock is definitely versatile, no doubt about that. If the bore is made well, they even have a modicum of accuracy beyond 50 yards and can keep minute of deer groups.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or here if you're looking for a fun winter project. Track also has a Brown Bess kit for the more modern among us.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My fave, a Northwest Trade Gun here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uh� The same can be said for the Bow & arrow� and it could be more accurate�
Things evolve the musket was good for its time� so was the Wheel Lock.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 458Win

Seriously though, I have always held that if one considered the time spent at home reloading ammo, a muzzle loader might be the fastest firing firearm there is.

I've got two flinters. You might be able to say the same thing about cleaning. I'm sure I spend more time getting the copper out than I ever did maintaining my smokepoles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite flintlock maker is Caywood Gunmakers...Going squirrel hunting with them tomorrow.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by temmi
Uh� The same can be said for the Bow & arrow� and it could be more accurate�
Things evolve the musket was good for its time� so was the Wheel Lock.

Shooting patched roundballs with open sights, a traditional muzzleloader will group nearly as well out to a hundred yards as a centerfire, scoped rifle.

A target muzzleloader, and especially those set up for long range using aperture sights, will group as well or better than a centerfire rifle. These are presently used in competition around the world.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (673, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 79S, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,613 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,503
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.