Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I need to switch from right eye & right hand dominant to left handed shooting due to health reasons, I have cancer and they put my port on the right side so I can't really have recoil impacting it.

Waiting till treatment is over is not really an option at the moment. Longer story. So I want to see if anyone has tips on switching sides for rifle and possibly shotgun shooting? I really want to go hunting with my children this year.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I did:

Bought a left handed 22 and burned up a couple of cases of ammo.

Used my "neutral" cast Browning to burn up many cases of shotgun ammo.

Still am no where close to a dead-eye-dick from the left yet, but I am hunting birds and wild game again without thinking much about it, and varmints best beware.

Good luck in your transition to lefty.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thought I wanted a left handed Weatherby in my mid 40's so I bought one. My right hand kept sneaking up to open that non existent right hand bolt after every shot. Get past these memory reactions and you'll be fine.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Trust your eyes and brain. Don't second guess. It's awkward but very doable

Had to learn how to shoot lefty when I smashed my right hand while in the military back around mid 90's.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by superscifi12
I need to switch from right eye & right hand dominant to left handed shooting due to health reasons, I have cancer and they put my port on the right side so I can't really have recoil impacting it.

Waiting till treatment is over is not really an option at the moment. Longer story. So I want to see if anyone has tips on switching sides for rifle and possibly shotgun shooting? I really want to go hunting with my children this year.

I have/had cancer as well. When they put the port in I asked for them to put it on the left side. While I was out, the S.O.B. put it on the right. mad Currently I'm in a wait and see situation. Wait and see if I'm free or if they will have to go to surgery.

I didn't have much trouble switching from right hand shooting to left. I taught myself many years agoJust something I can't do in a hurry It did come in handy on several deer hunts when I couldn't move around without being seen by the deer.

Good luck one the transition plus an added prayer you beat that cancer.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

First, very sorry to hear of your affliction. I sincerely hope that you make a full and speedy recovery, and I hope you make those hunting trips.

I wish I could offer advice on the R to L transition.

I can easily shoot handguns left handed, as I am right eye dominant anyway. But can not even imagine using a long gun left handed. Hell, I can hardly operate a fork or spoon with my left hand.

Good Luck! Sincerely. Heck, go hunting with the kids and enjoy the hell out of it, even if you are not able to operate a firearm at the time.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Simply practice! The more time you spend doing it, the better you will be. We sometimes have a family gathering where we do some shooting with 22’s on “spinner targets”! Eventually, the competition ends up with everyone shooting from the weak side! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Super

I'm right handed,left eye dominate. I shoot right hand bolt guns left handed.
Just reach over the top and work the bolt.
This past winter I started working on a left hand M70 for my grandson.
In the evenings while watching TV I worked the bolt left handed to smooth
up the action. After awhile it became a lot more natural.
Just practice.

You could try hunting with a hand gun.
Over the years some people have had cross over stocks made.
Don't forget to post pictures of your successes.

Hal

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Geez - I have cancer, am right hand/eye dominant, have a port on right side, and have been shooting rifle and shotgun right handed, with the port, for about a year. Was never told not to shoot right handed with a port. All has been just fine.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I learned to shoot rifles both right and left handed when I broke my right collar bone. It took some time to feel proficient left handed. Just burn up a couple thousand rounds and you'll be fine. 22lr makes it affordable!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Practice, practice, practice.

It's a lot easier to do when you are 12.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
OP Offline
S
Where they actually put my port I'm worried about sholdering a gun quickly and hurting it. I've already had a few instances just picking up heavy/long things that hit it and caused me a lot of pain so this seems like an easier way.

Maybe time to get a 22lr barrel for the encore and a left handed/neutral rifle stock and just burn up some 22s.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I switched years ago. After the first season everything fell into place. I am right handed and shoot lefty. Work the bolt with my right hand.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Son as born left handed, indicated early on he wanted to join the military to be a pilot. So started a Micky Mantle training program, if you have ever read his bio, his dad taught him to bat, off handed, so he became a switch hitter. So long story, short, the son could shoot into the same group with both hands by 12, at 14 was the FL state IHMSA Junior champion. His partner, and spotter was PJJohn, John Lackios,a PJ Legend. So son went through the Pipeline and became a PJ.

Easiest way to start training, is a pirate patch for the right eye. A neutral stock, or a cast on stock for the left eye. Handgun is practice and more practice. A 22 rifle is a good place to start with close targets so you can see the impact and adjust. Once you get the left eye down, start with the lead estimating for moving targets then the shotgun, remove the patch for use of both eyes.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Have done it on multi occasions nothin long range good luck with ur illness👍

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sure glad I'm both right handed and right eye dominant.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife is left handed, but right eye dominate. She learned how to shoot right handed, as all of their rifles/shotguns at the time were right handed and lefties were and still are difficult to get!

She’s pretty darn good with a rifle! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I learned to shoot either way when I was a kid.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’m having this debate now with interventional radiology
Supposed to get a port in Friday

I do NOT want a port on my right shoulder, I’m making them do a pre-emptive vascular ultrasound of my left pectoral to make sure.

If not, then to hell with it they can stick me 5,6,7 times in the arm to get an iV.

Got to sack up and demand what you want. These ass holes want it their way because they mostly like working on the side they are conveniently used to.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Practice,practice,practice.

I am right handed,right eye dominate and when spending time with an Uncle on a golf course i learned to play left handed.

Sucked at first but got better.

Learned to throw a cast net by a 80 year old man that owned a trawl company still throw lefty and coil rope left handed.

The shooting came because of a shot that i could have had but i did not know how it would work.

Now if it calls for it it's easy.

22 sounds like the perfect type to learn,then move up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.