Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by horse1
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

Exactly! But that seems to be the demographic Backfire TV is going for.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From what I understand, 'Mike the Marine' was trolling one of Backfire's vids or podcasts, boasting himself up. Backfire said OK, come on out to Utah then, and let's see what you got.

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, liars and Loud Mouthed Snooks. laugh

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/28/24.

KB

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee

The only thing 'Mike the Marine' proved is that Trolls are a pain in the azz and, loud mouth Snooks lol.

As a retired Marine myself, I found that video of 'Mike' to be both embarrassing, and hilarious, at the same time. Especially when he scoped himself on the first shot of the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by xphunter
Maybe some should on to the YouTube page or social media, and makes the case that whole set-up is rigged to fail, and that is not how LR hunter would approach things...

I might be interested in the challenge if I were also able to say:

"In these conditions, I wouldn't take that shot."

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
1 member likes this: Wrongside
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

That might mean too much wind or inability to adequately dope the wind between you and the target due to geographical features, obvious swirls, etc. Additionally, that might mean that one can't make the shot from the position allowed, and/or can't get into a suitably steady position in the time allowed.

There's a big difference between being fast/expedient and being rushed. While I like to think of myself as fairly efficient/expedient, rushed pretty much never works out for me.

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's a huge part of ethical long-range hunting. Knowing when to not take the shot.

Putting a time-limit on a sketchy LR shot on a milk jug is one thing. On game, it's unethical.
Exactly, Shane. That's why I mentioned this earlier:

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The challenge should be adapted to reflect the good judgement of seasoned LR shooters. Truly capable shooters can recognize conditions in which they would not take a shot on a BG animal. If the intent is to approximate BG field shooting, the challenge should offer the option to take the shot at each jug, given the conditions at the time, where a hit is +1 point, and a miss is -5 points. Highest cumulative score wins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only watched the first video so far,
100 shots in a .300 mag? GLWT
I would have stopped after the first twenty shots and saved the ammo, He was in way over his head,
Perfect example of typical internet bravado in the shooters original claim to fame,
And another perfect example of how a mag caliber means little regarding accuracy or killing power, A hit is a hit, and a miss is a miss.

#humblepie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree 100%

This rule should apply in all hunting conditions:

Ask yourself "Can I make this shot", if you are hesitant to give yourself an answer, don't take the shot, because you probably can't!

Personally, I would never take a shot that was iffy in my mind. I hate wounding an animal, even a duck or a goose.

I only kill what I enjoy eating. After all of the years of hunting I have done, I have concluded that animals and birds have as much right to live as I do. I guess the older you get your perspectives change.

I stopped killing bears and ducks for that reason.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/29/24.

KB

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gimme a life-size coyote steel target and I’ll shoot at it in any conditions. I’ll also be shooting a rifle in a chambering and package in which recoil fatigue won’t be an issue. I’m far less concerned w/“where” Inhir a coyote, just “if” I hit it or not.

1:8 22-250 shooting 75’s or 1:7 22Creed shooting 75’s or 88’s. I’m just fine w/a 10x max scope.

Last edited by horse1; 04/29/24.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
horse1, this is a picture of the Tripod retracted with the SS on it, I doubt if there will be any instability issues, don't need weights.

This is the rifle I will be using for the challenge. I put a bipod on it today. When in Rome laugh

Cheers ~

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/30/24.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks good buddy! There’s worse things to do with your time than shoot for fun and familiarize yourself with new toys. 😉

I look forward to your results with this challenge.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of my favorite ways to practice is water filled Gatorade bottles or milk jugs. I took a friend from grad school out on the Utah desert once to shoot quart Gatorade bottles at longer ranges, out to almost 600 yards, about 20 years ago. I was shooting a particularly accurate 300 wsm I had worked over and it was a calm day, prone with a bipod and rear bag.

That shoot cost me a rifle. When we were dine my friend turned to me and said name your price but I have to have this rifle. I sold it for what I was in it. He couldn't believe he hit a quart bottle at over 500. He still has the rifle and just sent me a picture of the bull he shot last year with it.

Now that I'm older I prefer gallon jugs. I don't shoot as much as I used to and have lost my wind reading skills so quart bottles past 400 are tougher targets than they used to be.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/01/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just watched a video where Eric Cortina said he doesn't believe he can do it. He's going to try but doesn't think he can hit all 100 jugs and doesn't believe anybody can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if I can hit a milk jug

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have high confidence with you, even under time and pressure

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BH,
Like I said before, it is rigged to fail.
The videos have been fun to watch, but it is not how a LR hunter would approach things. LR hunting is a systems approach, and not about distance alone, but a multitude of factors (wind, it's direction(s), is it gusting and if so what is the gust variance {is the terrain/wind} going affect my shot), how good of field rest do I have, I may be to physically wiped out to make the shot, and the list goes on) of whether one decides to shoot or not shoot. Because of those factors, plus the time frame, having to shoot from specific rests, milk jug narrower than common game vitals, and 100 rounds, makes this whole challenge one that is rigged to fail. My guess is for one to clean this course, you are going to need really good shooter and great conditions, more time, and better choices of field rests. It will also likely take a gun that is custom and is easy to shoot (not beat up the shooter) well from awkward positions, and will hold its accuracy for 100 rounds with sustained firing.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gimme a life-size coyote steel target and I’ll shoot at it in any conditions. I’ll also be shooting a rifle in a chambering and package in which recoil fatigue won’t be an issue. I’m far less concerned w/“where” Inhir a coyote, just “if” I hit it or not.

1:8 22-250 shooting 75’s or 1:7 22Creed shooting 75’s or 88’s. I’m just fine w/a 10x max scope.

would love to see solid hits at 1500-1800 yards with your "recoil less" rifles

and if there's any energy left to punch paper much less kill a coyote

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swamplord

would love to see solid hits at 1500-1800 yards with your "recoil less" rifles

and if there's any energy left to punch paper much less kill a coyote

Me too. But, that wasn't the subject of the thread. The subject is 100 1Gal jugs out to 600yds. Impetus being that a 1Gal jug approximates the vitals on a deer. I also stated previously that were I to be in the "challenge" I'd not be opposed to saying, "I can't make that shot reliably in these conditions.", again, assuming we're approximating Big Game.

The mention of the coyote target I thought was implied as a substitute for the 1Gal jugs out to 600yds. Also earlier on in the thread I stated that right or wrong, I only care "if" I hit a varmint, not necessarily as concerned about vitals or needing follow-up shots vs. big game.

1250yds is as far as I've ever shot steel. I was using my 19# 30" bbl 7WSM shooting 162 A-max's @ just under 3400fps. That's not a rifle I'd "hunt" with though and the whole idea behind the thread was "hunting rifles" @ 600yds. 1500-1800 yds, the rifle/scope/ammo package is certainly capable, I'd like to think I could figure it out, but, I've 100% never done it.

I don't like muzzle-brakes, therefore, I don't have any.

I also stated earlier that I don't have a rifle I'd carry afield for big game that I'd be capable of shooting accurately for 100rds in a single day.

There are lots of people who can and do do all sorts of things I can't, but wish I could. I suspect I'll go on living and it won't even ruin my day.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.