Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, first the setup: I'm coming up on 2 years since Chemo. My energy and stamina are back to nominal. I'm still having trouble with neuropathy. Walking on level ground is cool. Walking on hills and off the beaten path is still a challenge. I'm just finishing spring turkey season here in Kentucky. I've got one tag filled and a couple days left to fill the other.

Last year, I was determined to try my Brown Bess on Spring Squirrel. Yikes. I was having trouble just getting around and then I tried to throw a 10 lb musket into the mix. I was still too weak to hold that mother steady. This year, I was sitting in the turkey blind with a pair of squirrels bugging me and realized I can at least hold my Mossberg 500 up long enough for a shot. I had Mooselette's 20 gauge bolt gun along as well. It was a breeze. There was so little weight ahead of my left hand.

I've been thinking about a 12 GA bolt gun for some time. I got on GunBroker and put a bid on a Mossberg 295. I got it for $100 off the buy-now price.
[Linked Image from dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net]

It's got the C-lect choke. I plan on putting a rifle sling on it so I can walk with both hands-free. I'm still back up to picking them off with a 22 in the leaves, but at least I can blast them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
1 member likes this: sharps4590
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hang in there, you’ll make it. Good luck with the squirrel hunting! I bet they will tremble when they see you!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was looking forward to spring squirrel in Virginia in June until it was hitting 90 degrees in April. Yesterday it hit 92. Luckily tomorrow its only suppoosed to be 79. Last two Junes were mild. I'm thinking this June is going to be miserably hot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a 20 ga SxS with #6 in the spring, and a .22 in the fall when the leaves have mostly fallen off.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I understand, shaman. January 6th of this year was 5 years since I completed my chemo. On February 13th my oncologist told me he didn't need to see me for a year. On July 2nd of this year it will be 6 years since my surgery. God apparently isn't finished with me. I still have neuropathy in my feet as well and the balance of that 17 year old high school halfback ain't comin' back. Now we're into joint replacement. Boy it'd fun gettin' old!!

Squirrels! They were my favorite game to hunt and eat. I had an einstecklauf in 22 LR installed in one of my drillings and that was my favorite squirrel killer for a few years. Now, if I go, I think I'll go back to my 36 cal. Southern Mountain flinter or, my CZ-455FS. 'Course, here I can sit on my deck or front porch and shoot them.

Dad killed a pile of squirrels, rabbit and quail with a 16 ga., Marlin bolt action shotgun.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yesterday was Spring Squirrel Opener.

I went out with honorable #2 son, Moose. He is a dedicated squirrel hunter; I'm just a 40+ year novice by comparison.

We got out way before the squirrels woke up, and after walking the better part of a 1/2 mile, we decided to hole up at one of my turkey blinds. After about an hour of sitting around, the squirrels began to move. Moose shot one at fairly close range, and after watching another pass in and out of view at extreme range, we decided to get up and move. We had three more sightings, but never got close to another shot.

The Mossberg? It's a good aimable shotgun. It would suck if I were trying to shoot a passing bird, but shoulders well for a static shot. It's a keeper. The safety needs a bit more lubrication, but it was a good deal for a shotgun that is older than me and probably sat in a closet for 50 years.

Me? I'm a walking landform. Putting the sneak on squirrels or anything for that matter has always been dodgy at best. I'm much better at going somewhere and sitting down and sniping. We kind of knew this was going to be futile from the outset. The good news is that we tried this same hunt last year, and we got out to the furthest extent and I nearly had him go back and get the truck. This year, I was [bleep] out, but I was able to hike back to the cabin with some semblance of normalcy. I can now hold a shotgun up for an extended period without shaking. I can actually feel my feet again. This bodes well for the coming year.

I had enough energy left that I managed to go out and collect the gear left over from turkey hunting, and then went over to our biggest salt lick and replenished it with a bag of rock salt. Dig a trench, dump the bag, cover it over. Back during Chemo I made the mistake of digging up a 5 gallon bucket of dirt for potting plants and wound up on Oxycontin for 3 days. Now, I'm seemingly back to normal. Moose came close by with the mower within the hour and found a freshly dropped fawn and several beds. It looks like my favorite doe group has survived intact and camping out within 50 yards of the lick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
This month is 3 yrs for me since finishing chemo. Just keep pushing. It's a long slow road. Your story is a mirror of mine. I've had a lot of people look at me like I had 2 heads trying to explain it to them. I don't even try anymore. Unless you go thru it....you have no clue! It's very rewarding to reach each milestone.....one at a time. ..100 yrds at a time!! For me, showers are still painful due to neuropathy...but you gotta do it. Life is good....keep plugging.
Mickey

1 member likes this: sharps4590

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.