Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RHOD
Let me let you boneheads in on a little secret. All word are made up. That's kind of the way language works.

Okay, then how about a "made up" or "imaginary" condition? "Homophobia" does not exist as an actual mental condition. That's probably what ironbender is pointing out.

1 member likes this: ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Thegman
Let me let you boneheads in on a little secret. All word are made up. That's kind of the way language works.

Okay, then how about a "made up" or "imaginary" condition? "Homophobia" does not exist as an actual mental condition. That's probably what ironbender is pointing out.
Correct

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

Oxford dictionary definition of phobia: A fear, horror, strong dislike, or aversion; esp. an extreme or irrational fear or dread aroused by a particular object or circumstance.

In a technical phycological definition it means an irrational fear of something. In common use it can also be strong dislike or aversion to something, The phobia in Homophobia is used in this context much the way it is in xenophobia, which can mean one fears foreigners, but also includes an irrational dislike or hatred of foreigners.

Fear and hatred are often very closely linked when it comes peoples emotional responses. People that like to spread propaganda know this all too well. Want to get people to hate LGBTQ people or people of different ethnicities for ones own political gain? Spread lots of scary stories to instill fear of them and you'll get the hatred.

Last edited by RHOD; 05/01/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That seems correct - not formally classified as a phobia - but a manufactured term designed as a tool to use against normal folks. But - problem - the tool seems to be backfiring.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And now "xenophobia" makes its appearance. Another made up term used to channel thought, control behavior and "label" people that "don't think right".

"We need to stop illegal immigration."

"Oh? You're xenophobic!"

See how that works? "Racist" was loosing its effect so a "scientific sounding" replacement was manufactured. Doesn't address the real issue, just attempts to label people and shame them into the desired behavior.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
And now "xenophobia" makes its appearance. Another made up term used to channel thought, control behavior and "label" people that "don't think right".

"Oh? You're xenophobic!"

See how that works? "Racist" was loosing its effect so a "scientific sounding" replacement was manufactured. Doesn't address the real issue, just attempts to label people and shame them into the desired behavior.

I didn't call anybody a xenophobe, just used in as an example of the use of the suffix "phobe"

You do seem very defensive about the word. I wonder why?

Last edited by RHOD; 05/01/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, what if the "fear" or "aversion" is not irrational?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

"Oh? You're xenophobic!"

I didn't call and body a xenophobe, just used in as an example of the use of the suffix "phobe"

You do seem very defensive about the word, I wonder why?

Granted, you weren't calling anybody anything, I concur.

My point was that you were using an example of a made up derisive term that doesn't really apply to people to support the validity of another made up derisive term that doesn't really apply to people.

I also note the "you seem defensive" allusion. That goalpost shifting/diversion from the point is a really typical fall back position for people that try to push these ideas when challenged.

Perhaps, rather, you can provide examples of some people that are afflicted with "xenophobia" and how it manifests itself in measurable ways. I'd like to hear how you use it in your diagnosis. Seriously, who is "xenophobic" and what do they do or think to be labeled "xenophobic"? You brought up the term, I'd hope you could provide some clear examples.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OOOH, can we do 'anti-semitism' or anti-semetic next? Then let's do islamaphobia.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Semantics, semantics, semantics - - - -

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
OOOH, can we do 'anti-semitism' or anti-semetic next? Then let's do islamaphobia.

🤣🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum
The dead ranger "... was part of hundreds of searches and rescues over her career, most recently playing a critical role in finding a hypothermic and frostbitten hiker during a snowstorm in the High Peaks last month."

I bet the subjects of her SAR efforts did not GAF over her orientation.

I supppse some homophobes here would rather stay lost than be found by a lesbian. Not me.

The fact that you choose to describe someone that doesn't like or support a particular thing as having a phobia (mental illness) indicates that you've bought into the false shaming doctrine. Do you describe people that don't like the idea of injesting feces "copraphobes"? Perhaps they're just normal people.

It’s impossible to change a male into a female or a female into a male. All doctors can do is create a better disguise, but trans people are still pretending to be something their not.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Oxford dictionary definition of phobia: A fear, horror, strong dislike, or aversion; esp. an extreme or irrational fear or dread aroused by a particular object or circumstance.

In a technical phycological definition it means an irrational fear of something. In common use it can also be strong dislike or aversion to something, The phobia in Homophobia is used in this context much the way it is in xenophobia, which can mean one fears foreigners, but also includes an irrational dislike or hatred of foreigners.

Fear and hatred are often very closely linked when it comes peoples emotional responses. People that like to spread propaganda know this all too well. Want to get people to hate LGBTQ people or people of different ethnicities for ones own political gain? Spread lots of scary stories to instill fear of them and you'll get the hatred.

Similar to CNN you use demonized "ugly" words to paint those who are repulsed by the perverted horde

AND you use the "LGBTQ people" to humanize and hold harmless these same perverts

Always a two way street for your kind

If you use descriptive words for one side then do same for the other

like this ...

cokskrs, shtfkrs etc ... that's what they are... why the big sidestep around the truth ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

"Oh? You're xenophobic!"

I didn't call anybody a xenophobe, just used in as an example of the use of the suffix "phobe"

You do seem very defensive about the word. I wonder why?

why does a left wing child groomer sock puppet like you come on a hunting site?

you been on here a few months and you just vomit dangerous communist talking points like sexualizing innocent children

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 260madman, 47 invisible), 3,209 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,600
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.