Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Fifty some years ago, the masses proclaimed it was the end of the world as the US military abandoned the M-14 in favor of the AR-15/M-16. The round was incapable of incapacitating the enemy. The rifle was pure junk. "The toy from Mattel".

I personally always felt the 5.56 was extremely under powered for a combat weapon. But when you are planning logistics for combat where you expect 50,000 to 100,000 rounds to be fired for every enemy casualty, I suppose size and weight of those rounds must be a major consideration.

I am excited to see that our fighting forces will be equipped with a dependable man stopper. Especially when that man is armored.

I doubt the teething problems with the weapon or the ammo will hold a candle to the problems our troops experienced in Vietnam with the introduction of the 5.56 and M-16.

Yes, 80 Kpsi will be hard on barrels. They make new barrels every day, screw a new one on. My Uncle told us they used to shoot the fifties until the barrel glowed bright red. Screw it off and put a new one on. Several times a night. That was 80 years ago, I bet we have the tech to do it today.

"I personally always felt the 5.56 was extremely under powered for a combat weapon" - maybe, but I sure as hell don't want to be shot by one!

Can't argue that point. Still, If I have to take a round, my chance of survival with a wound from a 223 vs 30-06/308 are significantly better. The ballistic tests with the Fury performed in this video are VERY impressive.

The ballistic tests with the Fury performed in this video are VERY impressive.

I don't deny that, still, more of a Special Opps weapon if you ask me, then again, the days of the average GI in a firefight are a thing of the past.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So following the history of US military rounds crossing over with extreme popularity in the civilian market...

Do you see this round following suit?

Is that dual metal case even reloadable?

Edit to add: I saw where they are claiming this round can be reloaded.

Last edited by rockinbbar; 05/01/24.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[quote=rainshot]My opinion is it's an answer to a question that never should've been asked. It's too complicated. It's a ballistic nightmare because it's going to burn barrels. It doesn't better what we have or what we could use to better advantage. The case is complicated and untested under battle conditions where logistics can be a problem. They're going to do what they want despite what any logic would dictate.
If it works they'll keep it.. If it doesn't work they'll probably keep it.

I'm sure the MIC is happy, regardless of the troops' plight on the ground.

Yep.[/quote

Off thread subject: Good job, nice dog!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Fifty some years ago, the masses proclaimed it was the end of the world as the US military abandoned the M-14 in favor of the AR-15/M-16. The round was incapable of incapacitating the enemy. The rifle was pure junk. "The toy from Mattel".

I personally always felt the 5.56 was extremely under powered for a combat weapon. But when you are planning logistics for combat where you expect 50,000 to 100,000 rounds to be fired for every enemy casualty, I suppose size and weight of those rounds must be a major consideration.

I am excited to see that our fighting forces will be equipped with a dependable man stopper. Especially when that man is armored.

I doubt the teething problems with the weapon or the ammo will hold a candle to the problems our troops experienced in Vietnam with the introduction of the 5.56 and M-16.

Yes, 80 Kpsi will be hard on barrels. They make new barrels every day, screw a new one on. My Uncle told us they used to shoot the fifties until the barrel glowed bright red. Screw it off and put a new one on. Several times a night. That was 80 years ago, I bet we have the tech to do it today.

"I personally always felt the 5.56 was extremely under powered for a combat weapon" - maybe, but I sure as hell don't want to be shot by one!

Can't argue that point. Still, If I have to take a round, my chance of survival with a wound from a 223 vs 30-06/308 are significantly better. The ballistic tests with the Fury performed in this video are VERY impressive.

I don't deny that, still, more of a Special Opps weapon if you ask me, then again, the days of the average GI in a firefight are a thing of the past.

Watched the video. Well it did go bang every time except for the first try. The ballistic test being ammo loaded with a solid copper 113 gr. bullet going 3049 fps. Not bad. Even with a mono metal bullet it did not penetrate the body armor at close range. Accuracy was pitiful for a scoped rifle. Both guys mentioned the rifle being heavy. Full auto tests did not exhibit any special controllability, better than a M14 on full auto. I would say that the 7.62x51 could easily have matched the "Fury" in any of the tests. If it shot better it might work as a long range rifle pretty good. The average GI may very soon find himself shooting at someone, not sure who.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
So following the history of US military rounds crossing over with extreme popularity in the civilian market...

I note that there is some ammo out there loaded in standard brass cases. Personally I would rather have a 260 Remington or 7-08. A lot of military rounds became very popular because ammo was cheap. The 5.56 and the AR15 are incredibly popular. We probably won't see a flood of civilian M7 rifles on the market due to cost and I don't see the Fury being special at all.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Sig, IIRC, has or is also introducing a brass case at 60-65K for sporting purposes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe some of the haters of the .277 Fury are just tore-up because it uses the same caliber bullet as the .270 Winchester, which many members here at the 'Fire love to berate. 😄

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's an expensive .270 Winchester, shoe-horned into a short action.

Only a kool-aid drinker would even consider it.

GR

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Are the rifles going to be water cooled? 80k psi, two piece case in a hot rifle in combat conditions….what can go wrong?

Most everything.

Haha!

Yep

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I note that there is some ammo out there loaded in standard brass cases. Personally I would rather have a 260 Remington or 7-08. A lot of military rounds became very popular because ammo was cheap. The 5.56 and the AR15 are incredibly popular. We probably won't see a flood of civilian M7 rifles on the market due to cost and I don't see the Fury being special at all.

260 or 7-08 would have made too much sense

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
A 14 pound rifle. Ridiculous.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
another issue with this is that the Army is going to issue this crap first to the Airborne troops. The ones in first by parachute, with dicey resupply and support, and any possible extra manpower that shows up would be using different weapons and ammunition. A recipe for disaster.

Generally speaking...do the US troops spend a great deal of time and effort searching for ammo?

Covering dead bodies trying to find rounds?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
another issue with this is that the Army is going to issue this crap first to the Airborne troops. The ones in first by parachute, with dicey resupply and support, and any possible extra manpower that shows up would be using different weapons and ammunition. A recipe for disaster.

Generally speaking...do the US troops spend a great deal of time and effort searching for ammo?

Covering dead bodies trying to find rounds?

No.
I do know of one instance in Afghan when resupply couldn’t happen for a month, however. Why supplies couldn’t be air dropped in I have zero clue but that was what I was told in first hand accounts.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Watched the video. Well it did go bang every time except for the first try. The ballistic test being ammo loaded with a solid copper 113 gr. bullet going 3049 fps. Not bad. Even with a mono metal bullet it did not penetrate the body armor at close range. Accuracy was pitiful for a scoped rifle. Both guys mentioned the rifle being heavy. Full auto tests did not exhibit any special controllability, better than a M14 on full auto. I would say that the 7.62x51 could easily have matched the "Fury" in any of the tests. If it shot better it might work as a long range rifle pretty good. The average GI may very soon find himself shooting at someone, not sure who.

.308 shooting 3061 fps?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Did you actually think the way they were shooting that rifle would lend to any accuracy whatsoever?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I thought we already went down this road with the 6.8 SPC II.

It doesn't seem like the gain was worth all the research, development, and the money spent.

Of course, that is most assuredly the reason why.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Follow the money trail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There always supplying our troops with weapons they could have used in the last war.
The squareheads developed caseless ammunition 40 years ago.
The H&K G11 is fugly looken.
Way to small of a caliber.
A 6.5 projectile of 140g in a caseless configuration could be run as fast as you wanted not lugging all that extra weight around
Why anyone would want to lug around brass cases is beyond me.
Much less a steelhead.
Another idea from back in the 70s.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have no problems with the caliber. no doubt it performs somewhat better than some other cartridges available now. it is the case and the pressure that concerns me. There are far more capable people that love it and are better qualified to opine on it than me. Dave Tooley likes it. I think he's doing the barrels and has tested it. To my simple way of thinking it's far too complicated a mess to be serious about for combat. They built the rifle around the case and it's considerable goat glands. one thing's for sure the enemy is not liable to pick it up and use it. They spent tons of money designing and building around a case that gives them not a heck of a lot more improvement than a necked down .308 or a Creedmoor for that matter. Many years ago Bliss Titus did some work on a 250 savage necked up to 277 with some success but it never went anywhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I thought we already went down this road with the 6.8 SPC II.

It doesn't seem like the gain was worth all the research, development, and the money spent.

Of course, that is most assuredly the reason why.

I'm not sure about what you're saying about a 6.8 SPC II.

I have one I built from an LEO 6920. NEW: barrel, bcg, magazines. The weight difference from a 5.56 6920 is minimal.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,481
Posts18,529,664
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.