Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i used to build houses and build all the cabinets myself. if you buy the higher end stuff from lowes or homedepot you will be fine but most stuff that is on the floor at those stores is junk, go in and sit down with someone at either store and have them do a computer mock up of your kitchen. triple check all of your measurements before you go. they can give you a bunch of estimates on different stuff.

countertops are expensive if you want granite or other high end stuff. i think formica is still the best without breaking the bank. formica is very cheap when ordered in sheets. just pay someone with experience to custom plywood the tops and install the formica. its not hard to do you just have to know how to hanle formica and cut it without ruining it. lowes and hd can order the sheets for you. they carry formica brand and wilsonart ,both make good stuff. they have color samples in the stores.i really cant see putting thousands of dollars in granite but it does help sell some houses.

Have you ever been to an Indian village?

These people purchase goods and services with fish fillets and whale blubber.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Beautiful Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by EdM
Local Home Depot in Ponderay Idaho. I did the install last summer. Maybe $1500 for the goods.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sorry, I could not go there... Zero attention paid to tiny pieces of wood glued up in a huge range of colors and tones. To me it screams everything except professional...

Wood is likely rustic hickory in a natural finish, some folks like that look.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Squidge;
Top of the morning to you, I hope wherever this finds you that it finds you well.

As mentioned I spent much of my working life in the cabinet, furniture and finish carpentry business so unless my old eyes deceive me that's indeed hickory.

In particular I headed up the finishing department of our shop which had 3 separate spray booths and a Cattinaire automatic finishing machine for applying the clear conversion varnish to the doors and finished ends. At one point we were going through a 205 liter drum of clear daily in that machine just as a reference point.

When it first started becoming a thing up here in the late '90's, we were just coming out of the "pearl, peach, whitewash" era and as you noted, some folks thought they wanted clear coat only on their cabinets.

The recurring issue we'd run into however was that those folks too often had grown up with vinyl photo finish fake wood furniture and sincerely believed all trees were the same color. Then when they'd get the kitchen and the color wasn't uniform enough for their liking, they'd demand we replace the doors or worse the finished ends on the cabinets. Because we used integral finished ends in our product, not plant on finished ends, that meant tearing the box apart.

It became nettlesome enough that I developed what I dubbed "natural" stain which the sales crew subsequently sold a lot of, but it gave the wood a bit of a tonal blend - which made for less warranty work for our finishing crews.

When we did a major reno 20 years back, we put in hickory because by then I'd been about oaked and mapled to death.

Here's a shot of why we used PBC melamine for the boxes where we can see that in the run of cabinets there is only a single 5/8" filler which is a testament to the framing crew for sure as well.

[Linked Image]

Oh and yes we had a male cat who lived up there.

Here's another shot where one can sort of see how the blending stain worked on hickory.

[Linked Image]

Now for sure we did our best as well to color match the wood going into the doors, but as our waste factor on most raw wood coming in was close to 25% - and that was all species we did so red oak, eastern maple, fir, hickory, black walnut, cherry, alder, beech and pine - we had to get creative in order to stay in business.

Anyways again just a few random thoughts from a former life.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Whatever path you choose, you're going way over budget

IC B2

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Ended up going with the ready to assemble Home Depot stuff. It was 1/3 of the price of some quotes I received. Did a Home Depot butcher block counter top. New sink, stove, and dishwasher. Went together ok considering I did the work and I am better at other things.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ended up being a huge project. Added two bedrooms and a 3/4 bath where the carport was. Turned out nice. Just wrapping it up.

The log walls are still log walls. Great view overlooking the ocean.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1 member likes this: GMMuscle
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks good, nice place, ocean view is huge.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Turned out alright by appearances. 🤙

We have always built our’s and any needed for my rental properties.

3-4 nights in the garage, table saw, mrs slumlord has built a set herself plus vanities, coffee bar stations, etc.
we have His and Her table saws

1 member likes this: GMMuscle
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by slumlord
Turned out alright by appearances. 🤙

We have always built our’s and any needed for my rental properties.

3-4 nights in the garage, table saw, mrs slumlord has built a set herself plus vanities, coffee bar stations, etc.
we have His and Her table saws

I don't have the time/patience/skillset for that. Wish I did.

Charter guests will stay in it for 3 months. Then probably freeloading 24hr campfire members who happen to visit during bear/deer seasons. grin I swore off renters as they just are a pain. Be nice to able to house visiting buddies.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We own 20 rental houses and have remodeled most of them over the last ten years. All of our cabinets come from Cabinet Giant. These are RTA cabinets that we put together. They have all wood boxes, soft close doors and drawers and come in lots of styles and colors. They also deliver to your site. Very easy to assemble, everything is included all you need is a screwdriver.
You couldn't run fast enough to give me a truckload of Lowes or Home Depot cabinets. About three renters and those cabinets are falling apart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He went with Home Depot!!!

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Except I read this whole thread from start to finish,
😂😂😂

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Kitchen cabinets are pricey

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Looks great Joel. Fishing isn't your only skill.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Wife, and I made there white oak cupboards a few years back.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,078
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.