Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Had a trip planned a few years ago to take my best friend. He'd always wanted to see it, but his cancer took him before we could go. I need to make the trip for him.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by CRAGGAR
Lee might have made several mistakes but he was far from stupid.

Absolutely! ^^^^^. Lee was a tremendous leader.
Ok. I will restate: strategy without tactics is the longest path to victory.
Tactics without strategy is only the noise before defeat.

The South had no strategy. Lees tactics were spectacular. Spectacular noise that brought not just defeat. Destruction.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Tj woulda whipped them yankys

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Originally Posted by shrapnel
So far, I haven’t found the stupidity of Lincoln as many here accuse him of.
Lee and Davis were stupid. Lincoln was Evil!

Setting aside the question of whether he lived the words, or which side better exemplified them, does anyone have a problem with his address? Have we maintained the increased devotion to that cause? Have those honored dead died in vain? Very sad.

Before you go getting to sad consider the source.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
So far, I haven’t found the stupidity of Lincoln as many here accuse him of.
Lee and Davis were stupid. Lincoln was Evil!

Setting aside the question of whether he lived the words, or which side better exemplified them, does anyone have a problem with his address? Have we maintained the increased devotion to that cause? Have those honored dead died in vain? Very sad.

http://walterewilliams.com/the-real-lincoln/

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A favorite place of mine. Have relatives on the PA monument. Hunted a farm just off the battlefield for about ten years in the 80s and 90s off of Red Rock Road and used to park by the covered bridge over Marsh Creek when we hunted the back side of the place. Lots of deer and ringnecks!

Little Round Top is my favorite spot on the battlefield.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by CRAGGAR
Lee might have made several mistakes but he was far from stupid.

Absolutely! ^^^^^. Lee was a tremendous leader.
Ok. I will restate: strategy without tactics is the longest path to victory.
Tactics without strategy is only the noise before defeat.

The South had no strategy. Lees tactics were spectacular. Spectacular noise that brought not just defeat. Destruction.

That's some burns level pedantry right there.

LOL

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad youns had a safe trip! If you like Italian food, Belle Italia has it!
Did they get Little around Top opened up yet? We would usually go up there or to The Angle and watch the Sun set over South Mountain. Many times we would get breakfast at McDs and head over to the Virginia Memorial to watch it rise over the Pennsylvania Monument in the morning.
It’s a wonderful, awesome place for me.
I have had both my wives tell me at different times they thought “maybe I died there!”
Give me a call when you get a chance. I’m really hoping we can get together!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, it certainly didn't take very long for that to turn in the direction that each and every thread on the Civil War (that always brings it out as well) takes. Someone could ask for a recipe for hardtack and it would veer off in that direction.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I found Gettysburg simply spellbinding and moving.

The courage of the men who fought there was unbelievable.

I went there one time 30 years ago and it was unforgettable.

Oon both sides...and that's just one reason why it is wrong to cancel Confederate monuments and flags.

Tarquin
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like Walter Williams but he got that wrong. It is never as cut and dried as it is stated by the "lost cause" crowd that we-wrote history. At the time our nation was divided among slave states and non-slave states. The great issue at that time was the "New Territories". There were great debates over them being admitted. The slave states demanded they be allowed to b admitted as slave states. They wanted to grow slavery. Another argument keeping them from staying in the union was the non slave states and escaped slaves. The south wanted the northern non slave states to honor their property rights. They also wanted to use the slave's census as a battering ram to gain power in congress. It's a sort of twisted scenario of what we're going through today with illegal migrants being admitted to the voting rolls. Slaves had not rights to vote. They actually had no rights at all.
This has been beat to death and though Lincoln and the Republican party did go around the original intent of states rights in a way they were forced to by the circumstances. Be careful what you wish for because if the states had managed to get their way there would be no America as we know it today. England and France were praying for the south to win because it would've split the states and allowed them to come in and take property. The southern slave states could've kept their slaves and remained but it was ruled that no new territories would be admitted as slave states.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang it EB, 😀 I told you before that Jackson, other than maybe taking Cemetery Hill on 1 July wouldn’t have made a difference.
Meade would have gathered his army on Pipes Creek, 12 miles southeast.
Lee fought Gettysburg blind without Stuart’s cavalry. Lee nor anybody else on Seminary Ridge, knew what they were facing the next day. Was it the whole AOTP? Was it a couple of corps? A detachment reinforced by PA militia? Nobody could say!
I have always admired Marse Robert, but to fight a battle north of the Dixie line blindfolded?
It’s all In fun, heck you know me!
But Custer was stupid at LBH, and Lee didn’t make a blunder at Gettysburg?
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Dang it EB, 😀 I told you before that Jackson, other than maybe taking Cemetery Hill on 1 July wouldn’t have made a difference.
Meade would have gathered his army on Pipes Creek, 12 miles southeast.
Lee fought Gettysburg blind without Stuart’s cavalry. Lee nor anybody else on Seminary Ridge, knew what they were facing the next day. Was it the whole AOTP? Was it a couple of corps? A detachment reinforced by PA militia? Nobody could say!
I have always admired Marse Robert, but to fight a battle north of the Dixie line blindfolded?
It’s all In fun, heck you know me!
But Custer was stupid at LBH, and Lee didn’t make a blunder at Gettysburg?
Reon
😂👍

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Tarquin
[On] both sides...and that's just one reason why it is wrong to cancel Confederate monuments and flags.

It's significant that the origin of our country is dated to the Declaration of Independence [USDI] instead of the US Constitution. Lincoln does the same with "four score and seven." The USDI does not mandate a particular form of government but instead declares that the purpose of government is to secure the people's unalienable rights. Both sides could rally to the words of the USDI and the Gettysburg Address. Would either form flawlessly satisfy the USDI, hardly. Is one better than the other? That was the "debate" that raged from 1861-65. Honored dead on both sides indeed! RIP

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got out to the East, where Custer met Jeb Stuart. Even though history is unkind to Custer, the evidence is that he spanked ‘ol Jeb’s ass out there…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Jeb had a long trip he was weary give the man credit😂

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got out to the East, where Custer met Jeb Stuart. Even though history is unkind to Custer, the evidence is that he spanked ‘ol Jeb’s ass out there....
And how differently things may have ended had Stuart been able to hit the Union line from behind in concert with Pickett's charge

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some shirttail relation was there during the battle. A fella by the name of Colonel Joshua Chamberlain. My great grandfather and his two brothers were also in the Union Army. Great Grandpappy fought in Texas, New Mexico and Missouri. The other two fought in the east but I don’t know where.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoulda been 1783, Treaty of Paris.

1776 was when they announced the pregnancy, but 1783 was the birth.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's on my bucket list along with a tour of Europe for the ww2 sites.

As for the confederate monuments, they should stay. It's history, whether dark or not, it's our history. I would say we could learn from it but folks nowadays are too stupid

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 13,349 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,272
Posts18,545,007
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.