Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
What is a fair offer on one of these that has been neglected, but still functions and shoots? I have a friend who has one he picked up with several other firearms. He's cleaning it up, and is going to run a box of shells through it to see if there are any other issues than sitting too long in a humid environment.

He'd sell it to me for what he has in it plus shipping. He's out of work right now for health reasons, and only has a small disability check from insurance coming in. I figure I'd offer him a fair price, since he has spent some time cleaning it up.
Here are some pictures.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I haven't received any after photos yet, as he's still working on the rust removal. I know it'll still show some pitting after he's cleaned it up, and it would probably benefit from a cerakote job in the future. I'm interested in the gun as there are a few trap and skeet leagues within 40 miles trying to drum up interest.

I grew up in a pretty dry environment so we didn't have much bird hunting, dove was the main winged game. I found more use for a shotgun calling coyotes. I never saw a need for a semi-auto, and never really got into shotguns. I figure this wouldn't break the bank even with more expensive ammunition to get me started.

I'm not expecting to be competitive, as I probably won't be able to travel outside of the three fairly local leagues. I just to learn, shoot more, and have fun. I will get to meet some people outside of the ones I work with, and have a couple of beers with after the shooting is done.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
That's a tough one. In good condition it's $1500+ right now. In that condition maybe half that on a good day

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've looked at GB and they've sold from $1200 on the low end, to $2000 on the upper. I'm also wondering if it's worth it for a trap and skeet gun, or if I'd be better off finding a different semi-auto in 20 ga? When he was telling me what he had I did a little research, that's where I read they were popular trap & skeet guns in the day.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
It would make a better skeet gun than a trap gun. Problem with shooting a lot of shells through these now if something breaks parts are getting tough to find. It may run a long time before needing anything but parts are more likely to break on a neglected gun than one that was cared for.

1 member likes this: taylorce1
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good advice already given. Refinished, assuming it works fine, it will be worth around $1000 or so IMO.

Better advice: Don’t buy it. Get a Beretta A300 12 gauge instead. It will be 100x as useful for your purpose. Find some other way to help your friend.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Some of that rust looks pretty deep. It would be hard to reblue without it looking “refinished”. Would need to cut it down a bunch to smooth steel.

I have a 28ga 1100, but mine has the satin, dull finish. It’s a good shooter, fun to shoot and I enjoy it.

If it’s fully functional, you’d need to consider the cost of a refinish. I’d check out Cerakote and finishes that may cover up some of the ugly. Satin chrome? There are others such as Black-T.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/05/24.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I'd pass due to the condition, gauge, and choke if it is a fixed choke gun, especially of it is your only shotgun. Also due to lack of Remington parts as mentioned above...especially for a gauge that there were relatively few made vs a 12 ga. Length of pull on them was usually 14"...OK for most average people but short by todays standards if you are a big guy.

Buy a used Beretta semi-auto 12 ga (AL391 or A400) with stock shims and interchangeable choke tubes. You can make it fit you well, parts are available and they are more reliable in general than a Remington. 12 gauge ammo is cheaper than 28 ga and way more available, especially in a variety of loads for all target shooting and hunting.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree on 28 ga ammo prices.

To me a 28 ga shooter needs to be a reloader.

I am.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,652
Posts18,533,834
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.