OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Dang Kent,

Enjoy!

Dakotahs... hmmm.... maybe we can meet up

A new adventure at hand for you!

Brian, if I end up going back that way I'll let you know. Are you out of Colorado permanently?

I have no plans on purpose... I may see everything I want to see and lose interest after a couple weeks, or roam around a couple months.

Kent

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like an excellent plan!

I wish I could escape this heat of summer here. The cool pines call me, but I can't go... frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Lochsa and Dworshak... you guys have really got me looking there... the kind of information I need and would never have found myself. I could probably spend a whole month there.

Thanks

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I wish I could escape this heat of summer here. The cool pines call me, but I can't go... frown

I've threatened to do this for a few years now. My phone rings off the hook, people wanting concrete jobs done. I've said no more hot summers for awhile but always get guilted into doing just 'another job', please. There truly is no one left to do construction jobs that isn't a mexican but us old guys... it's coming to an end of an era.

Az high country is great in itself, but to close, I'll get talked into driving down.

I'm finishing up a big job in June, just finished another one last week. Have two more waiting on permits, a large church addition and house pad with 5000sq ft house... told them I won't start anything till October.

I said for sure this year I'm not working in the heat of July, August and September again... I'm leaving to make sure.

My wife is funny, she knows what I'm saying and why... she said 'I get it why you will go, you can be gone a week'... I just laughed... she knows it won't be just a week.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I've threatened to do this for a few years now. My phone rings off the hook, people wanting concrete jobs done. I've said no more hot summers for awhile but always get guilted into doing just 'another job', please. There truly is no one left to do construction jobs that isn't a mexican but us old guys... it's coming to an end of an era.

Az high country is great in itself, but to close, I'll get talked into driving down.

I'm finishing up a big job in June, just finished another one last week. Have two more waiting on permits, a large church addition and house pad with 5000sq ft house... told them I won't start anything till October.

I said for sure this year I'm not working in the heat of July, August and September again... I'm leaving to make sure.

My wife is funny, she knows what I'm saying and why... she said 'I get it why you will go, you can be gone a week'... I just laughed... she knows it won't be just a week.

Kent

I hear every word you are saying!

Yeah, I bet you last more then a week up there! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good trip Kent. We are heading to our place north June 4th for at least a few months. This year we are hitting the Dakotas en route.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You might consider getting the ONX app. It defines land owner boundaries and public land in a manner conducive to finding great spots, trails and backroads. It definitely helps find the roads and routes less travelled. That sounds like a great escape.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by EdM
Good trip Kent. We are heading to our place north June 4th for at least a few months. This year we are hitting the Dakotas en route.

I know you enjoy your time in Idaho Ed.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Kent,

I took similar trips to Mt and Idaho in the past. I went eleven summers in a row for the entire summer from late May through late August. I took various routes to get to the West Yellowstone area. Stayed at the Campfire Lodge along the Madison below the Hebken Lake dam. While it was my base of operations for the summer I went to many places in Western Montana and Idaho.

There are lots of places to get you side tracked. I am going to share with you a less traveled path that I experienced in various forms many times when I went North from Tucson.

I figure you would not want to camp anywhere with the heat. First practical place to stay for the night would be near Jacobs Lake. The route is across Marble canyon bridge, past House Rock then up to the plateau near Jacob's Lake. I have camped for the night on many of the small pullouts along the road.

When you well past Kanab and are going North on Hwy 89 you could visit Panguitch Lake which is 18 miles from Panguitch. It is 8200 ft elevation so you would have some cool camping weather. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie/recarea/?recid=71021

Or you could skip Panguitch and go to Fish Lake instead. Elevation is 8848 ft. Lake is 6 miles long and 1 mile wide. Fish Lake holds rainbow trout, splake, lake trout, kokanee salmon, brown trout, tiger trout and yellow perch. Yellow perch are regarded as an invasive species; there is no bag limit and anglers are encouraged to dispose of any yellow perch caught.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Lake_(Utah)

From Fish Lake, IMO, you should take the less traveled route which takes you through Price Utah. A Columbian mammoth was discovered in nearby Huntington and the museum was built around a replica.

Within the museum is the little known Utahraptor. which is the largest-known member of the family Dromaeosauridae. Its large size and variety of unique features have earned it attention in both pop culture and the scientific community. The jaws of Utahraptor were lined with small, serrated teeth that were used in conjunction with a large "killing claw" on its second toe to dispatch its prey. Its skull was boxy and elongated, akin to Dromaeosaurus and Velociraptor.

https://www.southwestbrowneyes.com/2015/04/discover-prehistoric-museum-in-price.html

From Price you can visit Vernal which is a dinosaur mecca with another small museum and tons of curios shops.....

My favorite item I picked up there is a large rock like object which represents a dinosaur egg with a portion of the shell cracked open with two eyes looking at you! My wife had her birthday when we visited Vernal and she loved the gift, so did her students as it was used as a paperweight....

You could visit the Dinosaur National Monument or skip it and go directly to Flaming Gorge Reservoir. It is a large lake which is mostly in Wyoming, elevation a bit over 6000 ft. It has many dirt roads that lead to primitive camping on the North end of the lake, off of highway 530. Fishing is varied with rainbow and lake trout, it also if famous for its large Kokanee salmon. There are smallmouth bass too. I fished it on many occasions targeting the kokanee with downriggers. If you go there you can expect it to be windy. The North end where it is narrower would be where I would use the kayak.

Drive North to Green River then go a bit West to the next destination, Bear Lake. The clear blue water just has to be seen! While I had not been to the East side in a long time, I primitive camped on that side. Catching fish would be difficult as there are mostly cutthroat trout which are found deep in the waters due to its clarity. When you drive out on the West side, to go north, be sure to stop at one of the places that make a raspberry milkshake! The highest rated ones being La Beau's or Chevon.

At this point you can get back on your original route to Montana going to Pocatello and North or take the other route toward Gran Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. If you have never seen them, I recommend the parks. Camping will not be pleasant but those places are a must see.

Should you go through the parks.....Once out of Yellowstone and into the city of West Yellowstone take route 191 North and turn left on 187 towards Ennis, which was mentioned by another poster. 187 goes along Hebken Lake. It is famous for its "gulpers" rainbows that eat insects that are on the surface. I have trolled it extensively and caught many rainbows and browns using a rainbow or bright orange F7 floating Rapala. Browns will go after a lure that is being trolled at some very fast speeds. So if you decide to give this lake a try there are many places to launch your kayak. Unfortunately this whole area does not allow primitive camping. The forest service wants your money.

If you are considering staying in the area I would suggest Beaver Creek Campground. Just down the road a bit is Earthquake lake. More on that below.

You could also stop at the Campfire Lodge for a great breakfast or lunch. If you do, sit in the outer room overlooking the Madison!

If you pass on Hebken be sure to check out Earthquake Lake. It was formed when 100 million tons of rock slid off a mountain in 1959 blocking the Madison river. It is not built up at all and the only launch ramp is just a dirt road leading into the lake. It also has trout and is the perfect place for your kayak. Beaver Creek Campground is less than a mile away. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233181

Once you leave the lakes and are traveling towards Ennis turn off at the McAtee bridge, cross the Madison River and drive deeply into the Wall Creek Elk Reserve. The drive will take you uphill and on to a vast pastureland, the elk preserve is a wintering ground. Hunting is allowed there. In fact near the river in boulder fields you will find marmots. You may hear them chirping at you but may have to glass them up. Shots are usually more than 200 yds. You could camp in there and shoot ground squirrels till you burn out. As a local Sheriff once said, " there are lots of them in there that need murdering". My best day was 180 in 3 hours with my 10/22.

At this point I would say drive to your final destination which looks like the Missoula area.

Should you decide to go a bit more north to the Kalispell area there are many lakes in the area. I fished Flathead on several occasions and caught many huge lake trout. Also fished Swan Lake for one day where I caught a couple of Dolly Varden trout, oh excuse me, they are now called the unglamorous name Bull trout.

https://itiswild.com/best-lakes-near-kalispell/

Should you decide to visit Northern Idaho you must see Lake Pend Oreille! I camped at the Garfield Bay Forest Service campground in June and was totally alone up there! The bay is isolated from potential winds and waves you can encounter on this huge glacier made lake. It is famous for its huge Kamloops rainbows but does have a population of kokanee. It does have quite a few species of fish: Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Kokanee Salmon, Brown Trout, Lake Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseed Sunfish and Yellow Perch. Pend Oreille Lake is known for its huge kamloops rainbows. The largest I caught was a 37" on a lyman plug trolled 70 ft down with down riggers.

There are some small lakes in Northern Idaho which I didn't visit. I did go to Priest Lake for giant lake trout. That is a dangerous drive with loggers on a narrow road not recommended for faint of heart.

Well Kent, you asked for some ideas. Hope you have a great time where ever you go.

Ross

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Thank you Ross, I hope it brought back great memories writing that out.

I'll be looking at it all over time.

The Utah stops I had nothing to go by, the places you described is exactly what I'm looking for. I do have cousins in Vernal and was thinking of going through there.

Pend Oreille lake I looked at a bit while researching Dworshak, definitely on the short list now.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to share! Yes it did bring back many memories. Casting and blasting in Montana was a great mix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus one on the Panguitch Lake area in SW Utah. I’ve been visiting and fishing the area since childhood. Several other lakes close by (Navajo Lake, Yankee Meadows, Kolob Res.) and lots of dispersed camping nearby. Boulder Mountain to the east also has several lakes, primitive camping and beautiful scenery.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I definitely need to plan for marmot shooting.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Plus one on the Panguitch Lake area in SW Utah. I’ve been visiting and fishing the area since childhood. Several other lakes close by (Navajo Lake, Yankee Meadows, Kolob Res.) and lots of dispersed camping nearby. Boulder Mountain to the east also has several lakes, primitive camping and beautiful scenery.

Definitely stopping there on the way up and explore around.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kent, if you get that far up, be sure to check reports for the Priest and St Joe rivers too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Kent, great to see you back posting !!

Sounds like a great way, to spend a summer, too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Krp: As you drive north on I-15 in Montana at about mile post 47'ish into Montana will be a huge reservoir (Clark Canyon Reservoir) with several (6 if I recall correctly) "free" campgrounds spread out around the lake.
My oldest son and daughter were just here visiting for a week and we fished for a few hours at the Horse prairie Campground area of Clark Canyon Reservoir and my daughter caught a 22" 4 3/4" Rainbow Trout and my son caught a 20 1/2" 3 1/4 pound Rainbow Trout - from shore.
Remote country this but lots of beautiful mountains and side roads to explore.
Drive through Salt Lake City during the late evening hours - it can be a lengthy ongoing horror during the days.
Enjoy your excursion and watch for speeding, erratic driving, Canadians all along I-15 - Canadians are great people but MANY of them drive like asswholes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

When you first mentioned this I just assumed you would be taking the wife along, but reading this am now not sure?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent,

recommend US-89 north through UT.

also, take off highway 12 (UT) and see escalante, boulder and torrey.

good fishing all around boulder mtn

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

When you first mentioned this I just assumed you would be taking the wife along, but reading this am now not sure?

You've seen for yourself she is comfortable camping... but no way will she enjoy an extended trip, she's the ultimate homebody. If she misses me to much she can get on a plane and I'll pick her up from the nearest airport, then drop her off when she's ready to go home.

I'm sick of living in the city, though we are 5 minutes from National forest and escape. She does not want to sell the house and move up in the mountains away from family. So for now this is the compromise... at least for whatever years I still have my health.

I get to runaway from home for a few months... she's always invited, I may find places that can hold her interest on this trip.

Kent

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1lesfox, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,470 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,469
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.