Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Saw the thread below searching for a grip for a Walther P38

Reminded me that my grandfather, during the Battle of the Bulge, was involved in taking some prisoners, including a German officer. Took his P38 and holster and brought it home (definitely a different era). Prior to his death, Grandpa gave that to my father along with most of his guns.

Dad was looking around the internet a few years ago and the leather nazi holsters are worth almost what some of the pistols are going for!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...9431284/gonew/1/iso-wtb-p38-grips#UNREAD

Just thought I’d share. Have a great evening everyone.

Last edited by philgood80; 05/05/24.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Family treasure, my dads and grandpa's guns are more valuable to me than any I've bought or built. Just started handing them down to nephews few months ago.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
1 member likes this: blindshooter
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
When I was a kid I found ratted away in my grandmothers attic a lever Winchester. I worked on her for years to get that, she finally gave it to me when I turned 16.
The gun was only fired once she assured me.
She was born on a homestead her folks had registered in western Minnesota. Sod house. Her fathers two brothers also homesteaded in the area. Her father, my great grandfather bought the gun new for protection from bad people, the occasional Indian as well.
One night when grandma was young there was a big commotion out by the sheds and her dad took up the gun and ran out to save the sqwauking chickens. He fired tru, someone was out there. It was his own son, my grandmothers brother who was trying to sneak the horse out to go goof off with the nearby cousins. Killed him.
So the rifle wasn’t used again, it was in that old grainy sock stashed away until I got it. I’ve still got it of course and I wonder at times about the great uncle I never met.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
1 member likes this: slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got my father's K-38 that he used to kill the armed robber who shot him in the thigh.

1 member likes this: blindshooter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
When I was a kid I found ratted away in my grandmothers attic a lever Winchester. I worked on her for years to get that, she finally gave it to me when I turned 16.
The gun was only fired once she assured me.
She was born on a homestead her folks had registered in western Minnesota. Sod house. Her fathers two brothers also homesteaded in the area. Her father, my great grandfather bought the gun new for protection from bad people, the occasional Indian as well.
One night when grandma was young there was a big commotion out by the sheds and her dad took up the gun and ran out to save the sqwauking chickens. He fired tru, someone was out there. It was his own son, my grandmothers brother who was trying to sneak the horse out to go goof off with the nearby cousins. Killed him.
So the rifle wasn’t used again, it was in that old grainy sock stashed away until I got it. I’ve still got it of course and I wonder at times about the great uncle I never met.

Osky

Geeze, I'm surprised they kept it around at all.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of my friends in engineering school back in the mid 1960s had (still has, in fact) a German STG44 that his uncle sent home from Berlin a piece at a time to his mother in west Tennessee, during his time as an occupation soldier after WW II. No ATF paper trail or class III license for that one!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much of a history here but I got the Ruger single six that my brother in law offed himself with.

Maybe some day I'll give it to one of his kids that are scattered around the area.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Grandpas Remington 721 in 270. He hunted all over with it. It has a big gash in one side from when a bear came in to camp, scared the horses, and the gun caught one of the cooking pans to the side and gave it the gash instead of my grandpas leg.

Hunting partner has an old, cut down Winchester in something small like 32-20, cut down for a woman with roses widdled into it. Cut also has four or five "marks" in it, for the amount of Indians the woman killed with it. (allegedly)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Guns with stories: “yeh pardner I need an xtry $300 for this pos cause of my mental illness aka emotional attachment” which means jack sheeeeiTTTT to a buyer at a table sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Not much of a history here but I got the Ruger single six that my brother in law offed himself with.

Maybe some day I'll give it to one of his kids that are scattered around the area.

My man, what makes you think somebody would want the pistol their father committed suicide with?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My uncle took a Beretta 1934 .380 from an Italian officer prisoner in WWII. I have shot that pistol.

Another uncle owned a 4 masted schooner ship that sank in WWII. In the ship's hold there were shotguns removed before the war. I have a Win 1897 12 ga from that ship.

[Linked Image from custom-images.strikinglycdn.com]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Springfield Civil War musket

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My BIL has a tiny .25 ACP pistol his father liberated from a German officer he captured during WW II. I cleaned it up and got it in good operating condition a few years ago and he's been known to slip it into his pocket when venturing out into the jungles around UT Knoxville. The natives have been known to get restless there, especially after a football or thugball game!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The musket.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Got a old ass iver Johnson grandpops killed 2 gobbler with one shot

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have my Grandad’s Detective Special.
He apprehended a couple dudes trying to break into his house one night with it.

They were lucky they never made it inside……

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to shoot the "Kickapoo Rifle"!
The Kickapoo Rifle was discovered in a chicken house in the early 70's in Grapeland, TX.
It was built for the Confederacy (1863?) by the Kickapoo Rifle Works in Pert, TX.
Pert is two back to back city limit signs on Hwy 155 between Palestine, TX and Frankston, TX.
Watch and you will see a "Historical Marker" that gives a brief history of the Kickapoo Rifle Works.

The rifle was found in a chicken house in Grapeland, TX in the early 70's. It was sold to gunsmith W.M. Goff in Palestine who spent about 4 or 5 years restoring the rifle to a shoot able condition.
The rifle is now on display in the museum at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX.

When Goff passed away, I got a call from his wife, asking if "I" had the rifle. I WISH! She nor his family could find it.
About a week later she called me to tell me he had donated it to the university museum in Huntsville.
As far as anyone knows, it is the ONLY known surviving Kickapoo Rifle in existence.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have Harley Kings model 71, Harry Boyden Sedgley sporter and Manilaqs knife.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a .32 muzzle loader that came from a previous family member. The barrel is all of 36" long. I think this variety of rifle is called an Ohio squirrel rifle. I know that some of the family came from the east coast and spent some time in Ohio or Indiana.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My Win 1200 shot up the Galena grocery store by a holed-up burgler. It and the ammo was for sale in the store. I traded John a Savage 311 for it cause I couldn't hit chit with that short 26" double. My 30 inch does just fine, because I can't stop the follow through. smile

Monetarily, Billings made out better, but I ain't sorry. That 1200 has taken about 100 grouse and ptarmigan, some hares, and a moose.

I have a Rem 725SA that was found by a friend in a wrecked snowmachine sled outside Anaktuvik Pass (Brooks Range) Alaska. He gave it to me to refurbish a couple other guns in the sled. I refinished the wood and receiver, and replaced the .244 rusted out barrel with a .260 SS 700TI take-off from David Walter. It's taken several caribou, a wolf, and an elk.

It shoots 140 gr very nicely indeed- for chit anything else. I can live with that!

Last edited by las; 05/06/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,225
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.