Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Any one ever?

Maybe a neighbor?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/spontaneous-human-combustion

Is Spontaneous Human Combustion Real? The Science Behind This Baffling Phenomenon
By Krissy Howard | Edited By John Kuroski
Published March 24, 2024
Over the centuries, hundreds of cases of spontaneous human combustion have been reported around the world. But is it actually possible?

On December 22, 2010, 76-year-old Michael Faherty was found dead in his home in Galway, Ireland. His body had been badly burned.
Investigators found no accelerants near the body nor any signs of foul play, and they ruled out a nearby fireplace at the scene as the culprit. Forensic experts had only Faherty’s scorched body and the fire damage done to the ceiling above and floor beneath to explain what happened to the elderly man.

After much consideration, a coroner ruled the cause of Faherty’s death to be spontaneous human combustion, a decision that generated its fair share of controversy. Many regard the phenomenon with a combination of fascination and fear, wondering: is it actually possible?

What Is Spontaneous Human Combustion?
Spontaneous combustion has its roots, medically speaking, in the 18th century. Paul Rolli, a fellow of London’s Royal Society, the world’s oldest scientific academy in continuous existence, coined the term in a 1744 article entitled Philosophical Transactions.
Rolli described it as “a process in which a human body allegedly catches fire as a result of heat generated by internal chemical activity, but without evidence of an external source of ignition.”
The idea gained popularity, and spontaneous combustion became a fate particularly associated with alcoholics in the Victorian Era. Charles Dickens even wrote it into his 1853 novel Bleak House, in which the minor character Krook, a cheating merchant with a penchant for gin, spontaneously catches fire and burns to death.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
And just think, when we were younger, we used to light farts out on the front lawn .

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm still trying to process puppy-gate.
#toosoon

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Big topic on campus in the late 70's/early 80's. Tried to keep a pitcher of beer handy just in case.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I believe it can happen. Damp hay once bailed can combust.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This was a significant issue in the rockumentary "This is Spinal Tap" as at least two of their drummers died of such a phenomena.

My own experience with this was responding to a piece of playground equipment on fire. The fire was out on arrival but investigation turned up charred shoes, pants, and a shirt. Those of us on the crew (all under 32 yoa) determined it must have been spontaneous human combustion as there was no other signs of ignition. And we had all seen "Spinal Tap".

The official report listed unknown as the cause as our captain was old and refused to accept the proof of what was in front of him. The rest of us knew what happened.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JMJ,

I think it's the Devil what accomplishes such.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i believe I read many moons past that most scientist don't believe it to be feasible.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Once heated to the point of rendering the fat, most human bodies, like hogs can self emolate. But it takes a significant source of heat to get the process started.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happened in 2016

Maybe again this November...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Best

Thread

Ever

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not that I recall

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had a powerful bout of "combustion" after eating some Chinese take out, but I guess that wasn't spontaneous.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Been watching this since first hearing about it back in the 70s. Immolation (setting oneself on fire) is the most probable cause. Not voluntary of course. Conjecture has heart attack while lying in bed and smoking or close flame proximity. Called the candle effect. small localized fire by out side source melts local body fat which feed the blaze until running out of fat. Fire is localized around body and lower legs not involved (no fat). Durations and localization of process doesn't allow surroundings to catch fire.
The only other energy source would be dephosphorylation of ATP , but your body already knows. thus only allows enough made for immediate use, resulting in a very high turn over of AMP which by itself is a muscle relaxant. Glycolysis is an eleven step function so takes to long. Enough T3 could accelerate the metabolic rate enough, but your body also knows this and off sets with rT3 which is a competitive inhibitor of T3.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Valsdad
JMJ,

I think it's the Devil what accomplishes such.

Some religions believe the cause originates from getting to close to your doppelgänger.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In the case of Rock Groups, smoking a joint and alcohol with other drugs, pass out, spill drink etc.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or those rockers are just fermented... but yes, I've read accounts of this supposed phenom.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Many instances of really fat people contributing to out of control fires at cremation.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alan_C
I believe it can happen. Damp hay once bailed can combust.
Baled hay has no way to vent off the heat of fermentation. By contrast, a living body is sort of self venting/cooling. I would have to ask if these people died from some cause before they lit up. If the body quit cooling itself, heat created by decomposition might start a fire.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,589
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.