Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ok tell me what MPAJ means, only one I've never been able to decipher.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I spent the summer in the mountains of British Columbia, I heard the word skookum used frequently, it meant "Big, strong and powerful."

Yup, it's common in rural areas in BC.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
mjbgalt;
Good evening, I trust this first Friday in May finds you well.

It's interesting - to me anyways - that there are a few lose definitions of that word.

Out here in BC, where I first heard the word used when I first moved here more than 4 decades back, it was often combined with Chuck to be Skookumchuck which was often the Pacific.

In that definition Skookum was "Big/Great/Strong" and Chuck was water, usually ocean but not necessarily perhaps?

Since it's me and I can't stay on topic to save my life, if you or anyone ever wanders up into the BC Sunshine Coast, make a point to see Skookumchuck Narrows when the tide is changing as it's flat out amazing.

We thought so anyways.

As to whether or not there's Sasquatch out here or not, there's a few folks I know who claim to have seen them and a few more who have heard things that they can't put a handle on.

I've not seen one, am admittedly skeptical, but leave room open to the possibility that they exist somewhere or in some realm.

Lastly on the use of the term "Skookum" to describe something, we used to hear it reasonably often up here but seem to less and less anymore.

Perhaps we can blame the inner webs for taking away regional color in language?

All the best regardless and thanks for some memories that your post twigged.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, the Skookumchuk Narrows is one of my favourite places on this planet. I've spent lots of time fishing the area, and have been guilty of staying in the narrows too long after slack tide with some hairy experiences. Many have lost their lives there but the area is fascinating and the sea life plentiful. It's a shame they closed it to fishing (rockfish conservation area). We're waiting for permits to be approved to build houses there, and I'm considering selling my house in North Van and moving to the Sunshine Coast permanently.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
LOL, Back in the day in the Pacific Northwest when they used to raft a lot of logs in the rivers, bays and Puget sound, every little pisspot tugboat was named 'Skookum', which was a lot more hopeful than truthful. FM marine radio was a hoot if you called for the tug Skookum....and 5 boats answered.
As the historical language of the PNW is eagerly destroyed by PC college idiots...I can not help but notice the term "Siwash" has disappeared from use. Yes occasionally it was used as a denigrating term for natives, especially in logging. When a company had a high percentage of native loggers, it was said to have a Siwash crew, which meant that Monday after payday they would be shorthanded. In the original meaning...I think Hudsons Bay Co called the natives 'sauvages'...and that later developed into Siwash. When I was out on the Oly Peninsula, a Siwash hunt was an overnight or two hunt with bare bones equipment and no comfort items...rifle, maybe a fry pan, scrap of tarp. The PC movement is killing history one generation at a time.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Another word I learned in the woods of British Columbia was muktuk. It is a positive word. it is Canadian Eskimo for seal blubber, a favorite food of Eskimos.

The big game guide I was working with near Manson Creek BC named his main sled dog Muktuk.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by erickg
Ok tell me what MPAJ means, only one I've never been able to decipher.
Monkey Ph..ucking a Jug:

Many years ago, a good portion of this forum was personal chatter between a tight cluster of Alaskan residents. They used mpaj as a loose reference to shooting from prone position. First time I read it.

Did Bro Bill ever get that child support thing figured out? grin

It was a different time on the board!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I'm still waiting on a hunter to shoot one and prop up it's carcass in a saloon.

I believe they already buried Ginsberg, but Michelle is still around.

As to mukluk, it isn't just a Canadian word. Here in Alaska it denotes skin and blubber from the bowhead whale. "Muktook" is from beluga. Either takes some getting used to, and 40 minutes later, without brushing, one's breath can fell a muskox at 10 paces. Very high energy food!

When I could get it (Eskimos are rather stingy with it!), I frequently carried it and a few frozen, raw tomcod for snacks and emergency rations when out snow machining in the Arctic.

Getting a little chilled?? An inch square of muktuk with a quarter inch of blubber warms one up way better than a candy bar!

Never did get a muskox tho.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by WestMont
Skookum snatch blocks come to mind growing up around the timber industry. Still see them around from time to time. Very well built and seem to last forever. Skookum Butte lookout is also near by.

A Skookum Block manufacturng company made blocks in a Portland Suburb - St. Johns. They were fine examples of first class rigging.
And rebuildable, we used the in sizes from 8" to 22" .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I'm still waiting on a hunter to shoot one and prop up it's carcass in a saloon.

I believe they already buried Ginsberg, but Michelle is still around.

As to mukluk, it isn't just a Canadian word. Here in Alaska it denotes skin and blubber from the bowhead whale. "Muktook" is from beluga. Either takes some getting used to, and 40 minutes later, without brushing, one's breath can fell a muskox at 10 paces. Very high energy food!

When I could get it (Eskimos are rather stingy with it!), I frequently carried it and a few frozen, raw tomcod for snacks and emergency rations when out snow machining in the Arctic.

Getting a little chilled?? An inch square of muktuk with a quarter inch of blubber warms one up way better than a candy bar!

Never did get a muskox tho.

Well there you go. We have a forum member who not only knows the word Muktuk, but who has eaten it! And he says it is good.
I'm from Georgia, we don't have much muktuk down here, and nobody uses the work skookum. It was interesting to learn of the ways of the world way up there in the mountains of British Columbia.

The big game guide I was working with, this was near Manson Creek BC, he had a large wooden box nailed to a tree, it looked like a deer hunting blind to me. It was 14 feet off the ground. This was in the month of July. He said it was his cooler for moose meat. I said "How the hell do you get to it, 14 feet high off the ground? You have a big ladder I guess."

He looked at me like I was stupid. He said "You walk to it on snowshoes." Then he explained that during moose season, the snow was 12 feet deep.
Back home in Atlanta, a big snowfall was 2 inches and it shuts the city down for 2 days.

ps Down here in Georgia big game is a whitetail deer. We quarter a whitetail with a 4 inch hunting knife. Hunting guide Larry told me that in British Columbia, they quarter a moose with a chain saw.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve done that with elk. Use cooking oil instead of bar oil. Effective, if crude.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Valdez is noted for having summer and winter entrances in a home.
1st floor vs 2nd floor.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reminds me of a very good article by E.C. Crossman and the book by Ernest Thompson Seton
E C Crossman
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
E T Seaton
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by william_iorg; 05/05/24.

Slim
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Spent quite a few years living in the Yukon.

Skookum was a pretty common term and a positive description. Usually meant strong, good, straight up

One of the original men who discovered the Klondike gold find was Skookum Jim , who was famous for his physical strength and had a tremendous reputation as a packer.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 3,529 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,505
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.