-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Stacked hay frequently goes up, and a neighbor's bark/leaf pile went up last summer. Not witnessed any living entities lighting off though.

1Minute
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
By contrast, a living body is sort of self venting/cooling. I would have to ask if these people died from some cause before they lit up. If the body quit cooling itself, heat created by decomposition might start a fire.
If a dead human body could generate enough internal heat to ignite, Then cows, and large African grazers which died with a stomach full of grass would surely do so.

Has anyone ever heard of a rhino, or hippo, or elephant or...........self combusting?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Alan_C
I believe it can happen. Damp hay once bailed can combust.
Baled hay has no way to vent off the heat of fermentation. By contrast, a living body is sort of self venting/cooling. I would have to ask if these people died from some cause before they lit up. If the body quit cooling itself, heat created by decomposition might start a fire.

Yes they probably died or were "passed out" and couldn't move from the fire set of by their joints, or cigs. The small fire melted the fat that was in close proximity, which acted as fuel source. Thus the name "candlestick effect" was put on it.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A lady near my home-town growing up 50 years ago was deemed to have gone that way. As I recall, all that was left were two small piles of ashes on her cellar steps. I've seen in person spontaneous combustion in hay and damp canvas, and it doesn't make those disappear immediately, so it's a stretch to understand how it would consume a human body that quickly.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
their isn't really any time frame that has been established. even cremation takes a couple of hours at 1400 deg. F

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Processes inside your body can produce strange results with all that is going on.

You can even become drunk without drinking in certain conditions where, it is believed, yeast in your gut starts fermenting carbohydrates.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Processes inside your body can produce strange results with all that is going on.

You can even become drunk without drinking in certain conditions where, it is believed, yeast in your gut starts fermenting carbohydrates.

most strange results produced in a lot of peoples bodies is because the normal mechanisms are out of whack. anything from schizophrenia
through neuropathy . It depends on what the current definition of "normal" is

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
speaking of fermentations lets talk about rye, fungus, and St. Anthonys fire. Van Gogh's flying saucers, and Constatine and his vision , up thru the rye infestation in the colonies that caused the witch hunts. May not so strange after all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can we request this for certain people?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc
i believe I read many moons past that most scientist don't believe it to be feasible.

Pretty good reason to take it seriously.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this a contest with Wabigoon for dumbest thread honors?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Many, many years ago the National Farmer's Organization, in protest of low prices attempted to burn truck loads of potatoes in the streets

It took a lot of diesel to burn tubers which are about 80% water. Humans are 60% water.

But hell, we have people telling us water can be used to fuel internal combustion engines.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That is why no sasquatch bodies are ever found

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
William F. Buckley (played by Robin Williams) once covered this subject with Eddie Murphy in a classic SNL sketch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lost my UFO to spontaneous combustion.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I can remember in jr high shop keeping shop ragsin a special covered container to prevent spontaneous combustion, especially those with paint thinners and gasoline on them. Spontaneous combustion does happen and this why certain items can’t be sent thru USPS. I have seen rags just ignite.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One time I told my girlfriend that her sisters boobs were bigger than hers, I thought that gal was going to explode!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by carrollco
I can remember in jr high shop keeping shop ragsin a special covered container to prevent spontaneous combustion, especially those with paint thinners and gasoline on them. Spontaneous combustion does happen and this why certain items can’t be sent thru USPS. I have seen rags just ignite.

That won't happen if the rag bucket is filled with 60% water by weight.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Is this a contest with Wabigoon for dumbest thread honors?

Just us for the rusty culvert auction thread tomorrow

😂

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,193
Posts18,524,033
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.