Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Taurus 856 3 inch ultra lite 38spl on the way. I'm looking for a owb holster that fits high and tight on the belt under a loose t shirt or button up shirt. Any other advice or experience with holstering this model would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

MGUNNS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Galco are good. Simply Rugged also fit very nice and tight, just not as fancy…. Just welllll Simply Rugged

If you want Kydex I highly recommend Eclipse Holsters

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys I will check them out. I bought the ultralight. It's supposed to be 17oz so should be nice and light to carry.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Unless you are LEO or somebody who actually wears out a holster like saddles and boots most of this talk is more to do with fashion and fit. When I hear a holster is ‘ heavy and rugged ‘ I’m thinking too stiff, too heavy and just over built. But the gun, cut off the leather and design is where it has to come together. I never want a pair of boots or a belt that will last fifty years where the wearer has to pay the price breaking it in. Give me subtle lighter boots that don’t hurt me going in, and if they last but ten years well that’s tens years of comfort. So with those in-the-waist ‘ deep conceal ‘ holsters this is even more critical. I had a second cousin who was a U.S. Postal Inspector ( they wear guns ) that swore by his cheap soft suede leather pouch style Bianchi clip holsters. He had but one ‘ Pancake Style ‘ style he liked but only one. He said the pancake paddle wore fine, especially driving, but in light clothing on the streets he felt uncomfortable.

Bottom line is holsters like grips and shoes is very subjective. Grips let you control your shots best, but boots let you run for cover and climb or saddle your horse softly. If they don’t fit they don’t work it’s that simple. I’m no serious horseman, trust me , but a pair of stiff boots is to me an uncomfortable hindrance that can get you into trouble. If your feet hurt and you can’t feel anything close to your toes your in trouble. For a good fitting reliable hip rig holster I never found anybody who could beat the late Milt Sparks, or the early El Paso Mexican leather holsters ( loved those flap types ). They were designed and strong enough to always be where they should be on a good holster belt. Sparks also made great contoured belts that answered better than anything I ever had other than a few made in Mexico. He cut them on a ‘ belly bias ‘ and unlike most belts they refused to twist and always supported a loaded holster about as nice as you can hope for. Bottom line is a good holster needs support or a good belt. Of course opinions are like ‘ A—-oles so yes everybody has one but mine is special.

Rick

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
based on my experience a good kydex holster will allow faster presentations and re-holsters. I have used leather IWB, and OWB. The OWB for large revolvers is cool, but if this is a self defense gun, then kydex.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is from Kramer and is as good as it gets. Milt Sparks would equal it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Unless you are LEO or somebody who actually wears out a holster like saddles and boots most of this talk is more to do with fashion and fit. When I hear a holster is ‘ heavy and rugged ‘ I’m thinking too stiff, too heavy and just over built. But the gun, cut off the leather and design is where it has to come together. I never want a pair of boots or a belt that will last fifty years where the wearer has to pay the price breaking it in. Give me subtle lighter boots that don’t hurt me going in, and if they last but ten years well that’s tens years of comfort. So with those in-the-waist ‘ deep conceal ‘ holsters this is even more critical. I had a second cousin who was a U.S. Postal Inspector ( they wear guns ) that swore by his cheap soft suede leather pouch style Bianchi clip holsters. He had but one ‘ Pancake Style ‘ style he liked but only one. He said the pancake paddle wore fine, especially driving, but in light clothing on the streets he felt uncomfortable.

Bottom line is holsters like grips and shoes is very subjective. Grips let you control your shots best, but boots let you run for cover and climb or saddle your horse softly. If they don’t fit they don’t work it’s that simple. I’m no serious horseman, trust me , but a pair of stiff boots is to me an uncomfortable hindrance that can get you into trouble. If your feet hurt and you can’t feel anything close to your toes your in trouble. For a good fitting reliable hip rig holster I never found anybody who could beat the late Milt Sparks, or the early El Paso Mexican leather holsters ( loved those flap types ). They were designed and strong enough to always be where they should be on a good holster belt. Sparks also made great contoured belts that answered better than anything I ever had other than a few made in Mexico. He cut them on a ‘ belly bias ‘ and unlike most belts they refused to twist and always supported a loaded holster about as nice as you can hope for. Bottom line is a good holster needs support or a good belt. Of course opinions are like ‘ A—-oles so yes everybody has one but mine is special.

Rick

Why the past tense about Sparks?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Mine too. One has been paired with my Delta for about 30 years. Doesn't get much use these days, but is till in good shape

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Picked up the Taurus yesterday. It came with the hogue grips and ameriglo orange dot sight with tritium insert. When looking through the box I was pleasantly surprised to find an extra taurus shorter grip and a extra ramp sight.

Pretty impressive with the overall look and feel initially
Especially for $320.

Thanks again for the holster suggestions.

1 member likes this: FreeMe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Sam Andrews saddle holster. I have carried a three inch J Frame in one for over 20 years. It fits close and holds the grip tight against the body. Disappears under a button up shirt of loose tee shirt.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Rick

Milt Sparks passed probably thirty years ago or so. The team/Owners running the business since his passing do the same quality maybe better. I think he trained them and they were doing the work in the back all along. Anyway they are happy with a full load of orders and are of the school that getting bigger and faster will compromise quality so waiting is the name of the game. No different than any handmade custom work

Rick

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
You might also check out Azula Holsters. They are reasonably priced and top quality. I have several of their holsters and magazine carriers for various handguns and have found them to be quite satisfactory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rick

Milt Sparks passed probably thirty years ago or so. The team/Owners running the business since his passing do the same quality maybe better. I think he trained them and they were doing the work in the back all along. Anyway they are happy with a full load of orders and are of the school that getting bigger and faster will compromise quality so waiting is the name of the game. No different than any handmade custom work

Rick

Thanks for clearing that up. It is my understanding as well. Been a customer for years and been to the shop in Garden City. Great bunch of guys.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'
I like a crossdraw holster.
Doesn't interfere with the seat belt when driving.
And snap removeable so you don't have to thread your belt.
This is from Privateer Leather in Utah. Les Dahl will make it for whatever you have. About $135 and it's a work of art.
[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
1 member likes this: FreeMe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It’s a fact that we hear in the states are very lucky to have such holster and custom leather talent. Even the big name makers who supplied Federal, state and local law enforcement could and still offer great quality custom rigs. The small custom shops like Milt Sparks and many others make a living fashioning great holsters using best available leather, hand cut and blocked to fit your guns. This business of holsters, saddles, boots etc is the same as years ago. They are hand made labor intensive fitted products. We all have to wait in line just like ordering custom guns. Think Shiloh Sharps to name one most are familiar with. At least in this country where demanding shooters want the best the good old USA still has highly skilled craftsmen in small shops that can do it. I’ve worked offshore for years and trust me most foreigners have to reach out to our shores for the best. Mexico used to be the source for best hand tooled and made holsters, belts, saddles and boots but those days are fading. I’ve seen great work coming out of the Philippines but a belt and ammo pouch I bought in the 80’s was made from Mexican leather or the belt was water Buffalo. One of the possible problems with offshore leatherworks is stitching as good quality thread is not always available. My pitch is to support these people cause they aren’t getting rich off their work.

Rick

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Frontier Gun leather in Palm Desert is John Bianchi's reincarnated holster and belt shop, all wonderful craftmanship. Have a look at their web site. They still make IWB rough out clipons.

Last edited by grvj; 05/16/24. Reason: Add image
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ive been happy with Braids holsters. Leather OWB. Outta South carolina IIRC.

ill use it when “out in the yard”. Tractor work , SxS, etc.. works well.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lotsa good choices. I like Mernickle Holster for my hard cross draw uses.

Do not get a suede - lined holster- but, rather a leather lined one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
'
I like a crossdraw holster.
Doesn't interfere with the seat belt when driving.
And snap removeable so you don't have to thread your belt.
This is from Privateer Leather in Utah. Les Dahl will make it for whatever you have. About $135 and it's a work of art.
[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

That's nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,218
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.