Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The OP asked about and listed 2 different rifles he's considering. Yet everyone wants to suggest something totally different. The funny thing is a simple Mossberg 640K Chuckster will probably outshoot most of what you guys have suggested, and cost a lot less than anything suggested. Especially when comparing it to a Bergara B14 and the like.

I think they have a used 22LR version of that on the shelf and will check. I've heard good things about them.

My best 22lr rifle is a western field (mongomery wards) Mossberg single shot I paid $25 and it hangs in there with my expensive 22's.

The forward placement of the Mossberg bolt handles makes mounting a scope a PITA. You almost have to buy the mounts sold by Vic Havlin to get proper eye relief with a 1" scope.

www.havlinsales.com

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/06/24. Reason: Added Havlin's web site address
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The OP asked about and listed 2 different rifles he's considering. Yet everyone wants to suggest something totally different. The funny thing is a simple Mossberg 640K Chuckster will probably outshoot most of what you guys have suggested, and cost a lot less than anything suggested. Especially when comparing it to a Bergara B14 and the like.

I think they have a used 22LR version of that on the shelf and will check. I've heard good things about them.

My best 22lr rifle is a western field (mongomery wards) Mossberg single shot I paid $25 and it hangs in there with my expensive 22's.

The forward placement of the Mossberg bolt handles makes mounting a scope a PITA. You almost have to buy the mounts sold by Vic Havlin to get proper eye relief with a 1" scope.

www.havlinsales.com

Bull shidt. I think some of you guys try to make things more complicated than it needs to be, but carry on. I've seen some of your guys' scope mounting though. Scopes way too far back. Can't blame that on the rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn

www.havlinsales.com

Those are BKL mounts he sells, you can get them straight from BKL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Deerhunter78

www.havlinsales.com

I've looked at the BKL site and didn't find a mount that is the same as the mounts that Havlin sells. Can you tell me the BKL part number? Maybe I missed it.

The Havlin bases are the only ones that I've found that provided the good forward/backward alignment of a scope to get proper eye relief on my 640KA and 640M.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

www.havlinsales.com

I've looked at the BKL site and didn't find a mount that is the same as the mounts that Havlin sells. Can you tell me the BKL part number? Maybe I missed it.

The Havlin bases are the only ones that I've found that provided the good forward/backward alignment of a scope to get proper eye relief on my 640KA and 640M.

On some rifles you have to be selective as to which scope you run too. That is a lot of the problem I see with some of you guys. So dead set on using Leupold for example. The long eye relief does not work on some applications. This may be one of them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I can’t speak on the Marlin as I don’t have one but I have the ruger predator version in 22Lr 22Mag and 17hmr.

They are smooth, 100% reliable and quite accurate. The flush ruger mags are a big plus to me

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I can’t speak on the Marlin as I don’t have one but I have the ruger predator version in 22Lr 22Mag and 17hmr.

They are smooth, 100% reliable and quite accurate. The flush ruger mags are a big plus to me
You can get OEM 4 round magazines for the Marlin .22 magnums that fit very nearly flush. I have four of them for my 882. They are available in blued and nickel plated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of those two choices would be the Marlin for the accuracy. My choice, the CZ 452, 455, 457.. either works for me.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ok whats marlin, Mossberg 22 mags getting for groups?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I could only have one rifle in .22 MAG, it would be an 883S or 983S. I think that a person who was a reasonably competent hunter could subsist/survive with one of those two rifle if he/she lived where the game was found in cover and the ranges shorter.

My "adopted" brother is a disabled Viet Nam vet, PTSD, who has been a subsistence farmer/fisher/hunter for the last 45 years. His preferred all-purpose firearm is a well worn 883S. I've given him several rifles and shotguns over the years, but he almost always takes the old 883S when he might need a firearm.

Hands down this would be my choice as well! I own an 883S and it is truly a 1 MOA gun with most everything brand of fodder I've tried in it. I even had a girlfriend shooting eggs at 100 yards after a little practice. No magazine to lose either! A great all around woods bumming, Critter slaying, SHTF rifle!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by frogman43
If I could only have one rifle in .22 MAG, it would be an 883S or 983S. I think that a person who was a reasonably competent hunter could subsist/survive with one of those two rifle if he/she lived where the game was found in cover and the ranges shorter.

My "adopted" brother is a disabled Viet Nam vet, PTSD, who has been a subsistence farmer/fisher/hunter for the last 45 years. His preferred all-purpose firearm is a well worn 883S. I've given him several rifles and shotguns over the years, but he almost always takes the old 883S when he might need a firearm.

Hands down this would be my choice as well! I own an 883S and it is truly a 1 MOA gun with most everything brand of fodder I've tried in it. I even had a girlfriend shooting eggs at 100 yards after a little practice. No magazine to lose either! A great all around woods bumming, Critter slaying, SHTF rifle!

Frog----OUT!

I may need to lookfor a tube feed style at a pawn shop that gets them occasionally.
Marlin seemed to have the magazine feed figured out compared to my last rem 51X version I tired.

I amd getting tired of rifles with removable box magazines that go obsolete and hard to find.... Tubes good.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Ruger. It's all about the magazine. IMHO Ruger's rimfire magazines simply have no peer.

My personal preference would be for a Ruger 77/22 mag, Win 9422 mag, or Christensen Ranger .22 magnum. The first two are hard to find. The third is in current production and fairly available though between 2x and 3x the price of the two you mention. I particularly like the Christensen rifle because it uses Rem 700 centerfire trigger systems and Ruger 77 rimfire magazines, both "best of industry."

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, on these beaver bangin' expeditions, what conditions will the rifle have to endure? Stick it out the truck window or low crawling 200 yards across a muddy field?

What sort of accuracy is required - put one through the eye at 125 yards or minute of thorax at half that distance?

From the two you chose it sounds like the Ruger might be the best bet, from the price listed I'm assuming that's the basic model 8322 or 8323, not one of the heavier barreled models. Reasons for recommending:
- Monte carlo or straight comb, your choice
- Great magazine
- Very good trigger
- Plenty enough accuracy, unless you need that "through the eye" stuff and then again, it might work there too.
- Good factory support. Well, decent enough support these days.

I'd almost recommend a Savage Mark II in an FV or more compact FV-SR version, both available at a very low price, but wouldn't recommend their stocks, especially not compared to a Ruger American. They'd have far more than enough accuracy for anything and have good triggers but by the time you replaced the stock with something decent you'd be well over budget.

Of course, you can always listen to these guys who want to spend your money and just get a Vudoo. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn

www.havlinsales.com

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-1-Offset-Dovetail-Rings-p/bkl-274.htm

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

www.havlinsales.com

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-1-Offset-Dovetail-Rings-p/bkl-274.htm

Thank you!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So, on these beaver bangin' expeditions, what conditions will the rifle have to endure? Stick it out the truck window or low crawling 200 yards across a muddy field?

What sort of accuracy is required - put one through the eye at 125 yards or minute of thorax at half that distance?

Once in a while out of the pickup window or using a fence post as a rest.

Typically its strapped on to the ATV rack to go back to the big beaver pond that controls water level for the whole farm and hunting woods. Sometimes we shoot in the rain. otherwise its a damp area full of mosquitos. Beaver shooting is usually the last hour if the day and into night.

Typical shots are 20 feet to 75 yards. The target is usually a beaver swimming and thats like a large half submerged orange moving on the water surface. My preferred weapon is my turkey gun due to the moving nature.
The best shots are from a higher elevation and down because its a bigger target. Ground level shots are tough because its like a aligator swimming with little exposed above water.
The perfect shot is when they swim away because you will get the head or body.

22 LR is marginal due to their tough skulls and the water absorbs energy. My stainless .223 with a lighted reticle scope is a great gun, but sometimes you want just enough power and quieter to not raise suspicions from the neighbors. Occasionally you get a beaver loving tree hugger complaining in the local news paper so stealth is good. Technically I need a permit from the DNR to remove beavers. A 22 mag or suppressed rifle with a night scope would be perfect for night time beaver shooting.

My interest in the 22 mag is a cheaper gun and I'm getting a new place in the country and my yard is deep enough that 22LR is getting marginal and .223 is way to hot for pest control and waking the neighbors.

Last edited by humdinger; 05/08/24.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
22 mag good choice ,Marlin tube mag is good medicine

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
used a cz 452 varmint in .17 hmr for couple decades as dedicated acreage coyote/beaver killer...1" high at 100 with cci 17 gr tnt was the perfect ammo, it did dime size 5 shot groups at 100, way more than enough, most of the beavers head shot at around 90 to 100 swimming, never to be seen again...except maybe floating at the downwind end many days later but usually not even that was noticed often, the coyotes rarely made it 50 yards if they did do more than a spin routine with boiler room shots, never lost one

tested 17 gr v-max, little too explosive, best for gophers, also tested the 20 gr xtp....too tough and poked holes in coyotes and they would go 100 yards instead....the 17 gr tnt was a little tougher than the v-max so better on the larger than gophers (coyotes/beavers) but still frangible enough to really limit ricochet potentials...which is what you want for acreage polite pesting

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Put a 3.5-10X VX3i on my 457.
Chuck hunt Sunday.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/10/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why 22mag instead of a 17hmr?

[Linked Image from ]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,946
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.