Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dons99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunting in Calif so no suppressors.
Question #1, I know LCs push noise forward supposedly making it quieter for the shooter. Do they work? All comparisons I see are against muzzle brakes, well no schit it's quieter, but how about a LC vs flash hider, any quieter? Worth it?
#2, any change in POI?
#3, brand recommendations?

Last edited by Dons99; 05/08/24.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a linear compensator on my AR and am working with one on my 300WM bolt gun. My perception is that the report is directed forward making it seem quieter for the shooter. At the range, the effect is very noticeable if you're at the next bench, compared to using a brake that directs sound sideways.

I haven't noticed a significant change in POI. My thought is that the pressure change within the compensator isn't going to effect the bullet much - it's accelerating so quickly in the barrel and the drop in pressure is still behind the bullet, just as it would be without a brake or compensator. Others may have more objective views.

I've also gone to using electronic ear protection no matter if I'm hunting or at the range, and regardless of whether I'm shooting with a compensator or not. The existing damage to my ears is testimony that I should have been doing that long ago.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Don,
There's a company that make what's effectively a suppressor with the tube open at the end. It's just as loud down range, but advertised as ear safe to the shooter. The name escapes me at the moment, but if legal in CA might be something worth looking at.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dons99
Hunting in Calif so no suppressors.
Question #1, I know LCs push noise forward supposedly making it quieter for the shooter. Do they work? All comparisons I see are against muzzle brakes, well no schit it's quieter, but how about a LC vs flash hider, any quieter? Worth it?
#2, any change in POI?
#3, brand recommendations?

Good question. I think the first poster answered your questions well. I'll agree. The linear comp is quieter than a flash hider or brake, for sure. I have not noticed a change in POI, or precision. I use cheap ones though, and they work well. In another thread, someone mentioned a better Linear comp that drastically reduces noise. Maybe revisit that thread, and see which brand that was. In my experience, though, a linear comp is much better than some factory and aftermarket brakes. Some like the Ruger cheese graters are way too fu cking loud and obnoxious. This isn't a "YMMV" type of thing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dons99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Don,
There's a company that make what's effectively a suppressor with the tube open at the end. It's just as loud down range, but advertised as ear safe to the shooter. The name escapes me at the moment, but if legal in CA might be something worth looking at.
Calif laws are screwed up beyond belief. Flash hiders are illegal unless you have a fixed magazine but compensators and brakes are legal in any configuration AR. I'm hunting with mine and worried I might have to take a shot before I can get ear protection on. Probably just buy a cheap one and try it out with a db meter.

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
FYI from what I have found, just a bullet breaking the sound barrier is @ 135db

https://hearing.health.mil/Prevention/Causes-of-Injury/High-Decibel-Levels#:~:text=With%20extended%20or%20up%2Dclose,can%20cause%20instantaneous%20hearing%20loss.

1 member likes this: Dons99
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On a 9mm carbine, the difference between a bare muzzle and a blast forwarding device (a far better name than "linear compensator"!) is remarkable. Huge difference in sound. Makes it sound like you're not shooting the gun, but like you're standing 15 feet behind someone else shooting the gun. Unfortunately, on a 223 rifle, the difference is not nearly so dramatic. Still, it is noticeable and every little bit helps. I put them on everything now. The 9mm has the Kaw valley precision, most of my ARs have the KAK Industry slim "flash can". I find it produces a lower tone, which i like.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use them on everything I have. I believe the perceived reduction in muzzle blast is worth it.

1 member likes this: Dons99
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I figure if I NEED to grab a rifle, I'm not gonna have time to put ear plugs in. The "flash can" tones it down just enough to make shooting without ear plugs more bearable, at least for a little bit.

[Linked Image]

I do not have any of the really short barreled guns, and I expect that the devices are rather less effective with those.

Dons99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stophel
I figure if I NEED to grab a rifle, I'm not gonna have time to put ear plugs in. The "flash can" tones it down just enough to make shooting without ear plugs more bearable, at least for a little bit.

[Linked Image]

I do not have any of the really short barreled guns, and I expect that the devices are rather less effective with those.
Stophel, hard to tell from your pic, you using extended or standard length?[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dons99
Originally Posted by Stophel

[Linked Image]

Stophel, hard to tell from your pic, you using extended or standard length?[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have the slimline standard length. It's like 3 1/4" long. The extended one is much longer and more resembles a small silencer. The inside of it is a large cone shape, and while it is NOT a flash suppressor for the purposes of sale to California, it's basically a cone type flash suppressor, and does a fairly good job of that for me, so it pulls double duty. wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have one of the Kaw Valley Precision ones on another rifle. To my ears, the volume is the same as with the KAK, but the KAK produces a lower-pitched tone, which I prefer. But practically speaking, I don't think it matters much. I don't think I've shot this in low light yet, so I don't know what it does for flash.

[Linked Image]

It's rather more compact, and is little larger than the standard flash hider. Too big to put my bayonet on though, dangit!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TxJW
I use them on everything I have. I believe the perceived reduction in muzzle blast is worth it.

It's not really a "perceived" reduction in muzzle blast. With some schidty brakes, like what Ruger puts on their AR's, it is quite substantial, because those ones direct the muzzle blast back to the shooter. That is a concussion that can be quite obnoxious. Get one of those, and report back on what you perceive. The linear comp directs the muzzle blast forward by design. As a direct result, the sound is also directed forward, away from the shooter. The plus is, it is also not directed to the side, like a common brake. So innocent bystanders will thank you as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TxJW

It's not really a "perceived" reduction in muzzle blast. With some schidty brakes, like what Ruger puts on their AR's, it is quite substantial, because those ones direct the muzzle blast back to the shooter. That is a concussion that can be quite obnoxious. Get one of those, and report back on what you perceive. The linear comp directs the muzzle blast forward by design. As a direct result, the sound is also directed forward, away from the shooter. The plus is, it is also not directed to the side, like a common brake. So innocent bystanders will thank you as well.
BSA, you are correct in what you are saying and I have found the same. But, I was meaning that the noise decibles might be the same depending on the location of the meter, but your perception as the shooter is that it is much quieter as the sound is moved more forward rather than the sound being directed sideways like the regular muzzle break.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm interested in one of those KAK flash cans for my 450 bushmaster. I use hearing protection but shooting out of an elevated blind, still loud as hell.

Would this muzzle brake help if I can get the muzzle atleast close to or out of the blind?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'm interested in one of those KAK flash cans for my 450 bushmaster. I use hearing protection but shooting out of an elevated blind, still loud as hell.

Would this muzzle brake help if I can get the muzzle atleast close to or out of the blind?

It's not a muzzle brake at all. It will help with sound, though probably only a little bit. I personally think every little bit helps, and it's worth a try for somewhere around 40 bucks.

I would actually really like to try one on a pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered a slim flash can from KAK. Figure what the hell, spent $50 (with shipping) on worse things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 different ones. One is aluminum and the other is steel. I got them both from Midway. One is called a blast can and it's aluminum and the other is called a linear muzzle brake and it's made from steel. They work best with simple ear plugs but they don't do much if you are wearing no hearing protection at all.
kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022194949?pid=417920

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021158557?pid=908642

Last edited by kwg020; 05/09/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Dons99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have 2 different ones. One is aluminum and the other is steel. I got them both from Midway. One is called a blast can and it's aluminum and the other is called a linear muzzle brake and it's made from steel. They work best with simple ear plugs but they don't do much if you are wearing no hearing protection at all.
kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022194949?pid=417920

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021158557?pid=908642
If you could post results on these it would be great. I just purchased the Midwest "flash can" also. I downloaded a decibel meter to my phone and I want to compare (no muzzle device) against (flash hider) against (blast can)

Last edited by Dons99; 05/09/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short of a suppressor, I've yet to see anything make a 16 or 18" AR quiet enough to shoot w/o ear pro.

Or even with a longer barrel.

Even one time.

YMMV

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 3,872 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.