Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Egg laying cycle for a hen.

It takes a hen 24 to 28 hours to develop an egg internally.
Once a hen lays an egg, the process begins again in 15 to 30 minutes.

Hens "can" lay 2 eggs per day, but it's rare and seldom happens.

Hens can produce 250 to 300 eggs a year.

Chickens "moult" in late fall, early winter and egg production falls off.
[quote=MartinStrummer]Egg laying cycle for a hen.

If a Chicken lays an egg a day, how long does it take a chicken to make an egg?

* Hint, the yoke takes 9 days to make!

Commercial chickens never see a roster.

Last edited by MtHtr; 05/09/24.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Red Stars are hands down my favorite chicken. Although it's not a Rhode Island white cross, but a White Plymouth Rock typically.

We started out with them years ago, then tried plenty of other breeds, mostly for a change of color, and came to our senses and been back to Red Stars ever since. Nothing else comes close if you want an easy keeper, brown eggs and lots of them. They start laying at 20 wks instead of the typical 22-23 wks and end up laying large brown eggs and more of them than most any other breeds.

We've had barred rocks, columbian wyandotts, golden laced wyandotts, black astrolops, buff orphingtons, speckeld sussex. Speckeld sussex I did like, but still didn't hold up to a red star. So we've given plenty of others a fair shot.

Here's today's haul freshly carried in from the rain. 14 hens, 12 of which are now just 21 weeks old. A full house today of 14 eggs. So the young ones are already up and running full bore. Best bang for your buck chicken out there in my view, they never fail to impress.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by memtb
I’m getting chickens based on a pretty broad spectrum……not just egg laying.

I’m looking at, meat production, good foragers, good brooders, good wintering (sub zero temps) capabilities, and general personalities.

I built a spreadsheet of my wants, and tried to determine which birds checked all of the boxes!

They didn’t have to be #1 in any category……merely average or better in all.

Our chicken breed selection is part of our long term “prepper plan” 😉 memtb

Which breeds came out on top for your needs?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wife bought a 20 pack of day old mixed “colored egg layers” from McMurray. Got them 6/1/23. They started laying in October??? Lost a few to a big black snake. 1 is a rooster even though they were sexed. Have 12 hens of about 4 breeds. Get blues and greens and browns. With 12 hens we average 11+ a day. Will see how long that lasts.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is local breeder who hatches 600 a week of various breeds. I got a dozen each red sex links and cinnamon queens. Along with a rooster of each. Gave 4 to the mother in law. We get 16-20 eggs daily from the remaining 20. Wife sells 7-9 dozen weekly at the gym. We have a regular list of buyers along with a waiting list.

CK
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think 95% accuracy is about right for sexed birds. Typical age for first eggs is about 5 months.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by memtb
I’m getting chickens based on a pretty broad spectrum……not just egg laying.

I’m looking at, meat production, good foragers, good brooders, good wintering (sub zero temps) capabilities, and general personalities.

I built a spreadsheet of my wants, and tried to determine which birds checked all of the boxes!

They didn’t have to be #1 in any category……merely average or better in all.

Our chicken breed selection is part of our long term “prepper plan” 😉 memtb
Checkout Buckeyes.
They they are true dual purpose chickens and are fantastic foragers. Their meat is excellent and egg production is good. Here in Oklahoma there were always some hens laying all winter long. They are cold hardy and here they only needed a wind break from N and W winds.
They also flourished during during the summer but were able to forage in brush. They will happily eat snakes, lizards and about anything they can swallow. Ticks were practically non existent. I opened the gate to their coop at 5 weeks of age for foraging and never closed it again. I started with 5 rooster chicks in addition to the pullets and culled down to the 2 roosters the hens liked best by about 8 months.
Any roosters the bullets didn't get along with were culled immediately.
If anyone decides to try them I would order from Privet Hatchery in NM followed by Cackle in Lebanon MO.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been getting 6 eggs a day this morning got 6, usually have a couple in the afternoon. The Black chicken idea is a fine one!

Dog I rescued in January

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,218
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.