Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
All of that, and a true friend. We are all poorer for his passing.

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
1 member likes this: ol_mike
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, I'm sorry to hear this. A sad reminder that we're all on borrowed time. Condolences to his family.

L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
@LittleBill76450;

One of Gene’s last wishes was that, at some point, we could share some of our stories about Gene with his girls.

A couple of us plan to do just that. We’re also going to go to his fish camp and do some fishing out of his boat in some of his favorite fishing holes and recall our times with him.

My nephew was one of the beneficiaries of Gene’s generosity many years ago when he invited me to bring my nephew on a prairie dog hunt near Alice, TX, then proceeded to loan my nephew his custom rifles with all his loaded ammo to shoot.
He got a big kick out of watching my nephew shoot up all of the ammo and make some pretty spectacular shots.
Gene couldn’t have cared less about shooting, he was tickled by my nephew’s attitude and respect for Gene and his rifles.

That’s just a glimpse of the man he was.

Ed

If I can be of any help making this happen let me know.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Sorry to lose a man that I considered a friend.
Thankfully, I've been told that he also considered me a friend.
Gene was a man in every sense of the word - agree with, or disagree with him.
I watched him give a Ruger 22 pistol to a very young girl, just because he thought she could use it. Generous to a fault.
I lost touch with him years ago, mostly because neither of us could hear worth a damn.
I already miss him, but look forward to BSing with him next to a fire again.
RIP, Gene.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I trust that life is going more or less to plan for you all down there and you're all well.

Thanks to you and Roger for letting us know about Gene's passing and giving us a bit of a glimpse into him as well.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends left behind.

May he rest in peace.

All the best to you all Ed.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Most of us are in the short days.
We've lived a helluva life.
Yes we have we were/are hunters.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Met Gene years ago out in Olney when was visiting at the Air Tractor factory! A no kinda BS guy and a straight dealer!

GOD SPEED buddy!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Been avoiding the campfire this last week or so, tied up with other stuff to get taken care of. Ed posted this elsewhere also.

I am blessed to be a member of the Quemado crowd for 10 to a dozen years now it seems. Gotta admit, this was a gutpunch. Met Gene at Ed's place when we had the tornado touch down right on top of us right as dinner was done and getting ready to be served. Gene reminded me so much of my grandfather who was born in 1907 and passed in 1968. My grandfather was from West Virginia, not Texas like Gene. But I'll say this until the day I pass, Gene was defiantly a True Texas Original.

There are many people from the Campfire I've had the pleasure to meet. Due to their ages tho, Ive got the most respect for several of the guys I've met being a member of the Quemado crowd. The guys I look up to so much, due to my age, vs theirs, are Gene, Blue ( Rio7 ) and Paul ( CCCC)... following real close to that is Miles Patton. One of the richest experiences in my life time has been knowing these gentlemen I would not of ever met if it hadn't been for the campfire.

The Quemado crew is pretty much the best darn group of people I've ever known in my life. and I've been a lot of places, and have known a lot of people. But the best have been right here.

Many of us are closer to our age of departure, than we care to admit. Me included. IN the business world, I've enjoyed a lot of success, and have met a ton of people there also. BUT NONE are looked up to by me, as much as the 4 guys I mentioned above. And there are a bunch more, I just know they still have a few more miles under their belts to go... and also a bunch of the same guys Wives to boot.

When my time comes, I bet there will be a good hundred people I'll be missing from the Campfire. Mark Shubert and his wife Joy, Mark Lee and his wonderful wife for some reason I always mess up here nam. We w, Kent and his wife Cheryl, Joe Darbyshire etc etc etc.

I pray there is a heaven, where I can meet these friends once again. Were we will all be young once again and forever.

I probably think more of them than they think of me, but that doesn't matter to me. Its nice to have known so many diverse people in one's life time that the campfire has given me...

Hope to share another campfire with ya Gene, in the here after. Thank you for the memories old friend.
I am truly blessed knowing you Gene.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched him give a Ruger 22 pistol to a very young girl, just because he thought she could use it. Generous to a fault.

I was there and witnessed that transaction also. later on She shot it in a bowling pin shoot and did very well. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
1 member likes this: CCCC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those among you who have made the effort to travel and involve yourself with these other guys (and a few gals) at our gatherings will understand this.

If you thought you knew Gene on the basis of posts here on the Campfire, most likely you missed by quite a bit.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
1 member likes this: rockinbbar
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,417 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.