-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had Japanese and American built toyotas (4-runner and truck), and an American built ram 2500 w/ ctd. The 06 ram is the only new vehicle I've had which had problems from the time I drove it off the lot, one of the grab bars in the cab wasn't bolted in place, there was a coolent leak due to a defective hose clamp, and one of screws on the tail gate protector/spoiler was missing. Sadly I've heard the Mexican built rams might be better put together than the the US built ones.

Anyone who has been to oil fields in the third world will find out that Toyota trucks and land cruisers have been the vehicles of choice for decades. One wonders what is worse in the third world, their roads, or their drivers.

Hopefully my ram lasts me awhile, as if it's replaced, it'll be another Toyota.

Not sure about the Canadian oil fields, but the only trucks I see in Prudhoe are 3/4 and 1 ton Fords and the occasional Ram. From the ones I've driven, they are pretty much shaken apart by 70k miles.

A 1/2 ton truck isn't a work truck, but is very good truck for the guy that uses it for weekday commuting, and weekend hauling of building materials, or toys.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait till Toyota puts out their 3/4 and 1 ton version of the new Tundra with the clean burning V-8 diesel in it. That'll surely shake things up even more in the truck market than the new Tundra has.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, then maybe I will be in the market for a new truck sooner then I thought, just about when this one gets paid off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Not sure about the Canadian oil fields, but the only trucks I see in Prudhoe are 3/4 and 1 ton Fords and the occasional Ram. From the ones I've driven, they are pretty much shaken apart by 70k miles."

Methinks that THAT road would shake up any vehicle with 70,000 miles, especially when there's no snow or ice on it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the toyota will win. in 5 years after the introduction of the dzl and a 1 ton you will see. american trucks, resale is a joke. unless it is a diesel forget it. the chevys are at the top of the bottom but still under the bar by a long shot.

the reason you see fords as fleet vehicles everywhere is a corporate price structure that would scare you. as an example here in vermont one of the larger local construction companys ordered 5 ford diesel crews as fleet trucks to replace the chevys they wore out. my buddy is a foreman and had a chance to get one as a daily.. he chose to keep his old chevy as he liked it. his boss called him later and asked if he knew anyone that would want to buy it for their price. he asked how much. $14,000 under sticker!

the big 3 have been dealing less than stellar product for 20 years. maybe some of you had great luck with yours. i have owned enough of the three to comment that none of them liked mileage. maybe it still runs great. after 125k or so the interiors rattled like a bag of kmart toys. doors dropping 2 inches when opened. switches going to hell. on and on... always something... the toys i have owned did not display this behavior. some needed fixing but after doing so i felt confident that there was not another bill right around the corner. plus, they always started.. 8 million below zero you go out and turn the key. vroom. flip the heat on and go back in for another cup of coffee..

the big three need to get the teat outa' there mouths and shrink the fat money and start building a quality product. 40k for a truck is a lot of money. if they build the quality toyota has engineered i would be happy to buy one..

FWIW

woofer

Last edited by woofer; 01/16/08.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
before yall give the crown to Toyota lets see how well the diesel
toyota does aginst the big 3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I really do want to see the Toy truck that will stand up to the use , abuse , and punishment my 97 Dodge has , and still pull 20000 lbs down the road in fine fashion ; I really do .

Doors sagging several inches when opened ? You must be spending too much time in Chevies........(grin)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When is the Toyota diesel coming? Are they going out a small diesel in the Tacoma as well?

Last edited by BWalker; 01/17/08.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is this whining still going on? Face it, You 1/2 ton drivers still dont have the guts to hook 10k to your bumper and see how it does wink

Last edited by bigblock455; 01/17/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Doors sagging several inches when opened ? You must be spending too much time in Chevies........(grin)"

Ain't that the truth!

GM parts are generally cheaper than Ford around here. My '94 GM 1/2 ton keeps going at 156K but sure does rattle a lot. More noise under the hood as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You 1/2 ton drivers still dont have the guts to hook 10k to your bumper and see how it does

Only an idiot would hook 10,000lbs to a bumper,or even suggest such stupidity.A person with any intelligence would use a proper hitch attached to the frame of the truck.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
You 1/2 ton drivers still dont have the guts to hook 10k to your bumper and see how it does

Only an idiot would hook 10,000lbs to a bumper,or even suggest such stupidity.A person with any intelligence would use a proper hitch attached to the frame of the truck.

I see a pattern here grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

Bigtime agree here!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well lets get this goin already! I want to see all of your guy's 07 toyota tundras with 10k hooked up to it and pulling it. Lets see how good those over sized 4 wheel disk brakes do wink

Don't spill your latte on your sandles laugh

Last edited by bigblock455; 01/20/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2002 F-350 Crew Cab with the V-10. I bought it because it was priced the best and had 0% financing, it had the biggest back seat (half-tons and Dodge 4-doors were just king-cabs with a shorter front door), a solid front axle, lockable hubs, etc. I thought about the diesel, but for the extra money and the extra cost of the fuel, I would have to drive an awful lot of miles to make up the difference. There was no practical difference in the towing capacity between the diesel and the V-10. The truck just gets used for hunting and towing my toy hauler. I don't abuse it, but it has been in some hairy country in extremely bad rain, mud and snow. It hasn't failed me yet.

It sits up high, but has not been lifted. I've not needed to. It has a nice shell on it, running boards, steel wheels and BF Goodrich offroad tires. It likes to cruise at 70-75. It seems like it never fails that I will have a Tundra or Titan see me on the freeway and punch their gas pedal to pass me on the right, if possible. I didn't buy it to race, but I am glad they are enjoying themselves. wink

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I guess we can see who has the smallest wiener and the loudest mouth too.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I guess we can see who has the smallest wiener and the loudest mouth too.

As a Duramax Dude, I've got the smallest weenie. gringringrin

And I'll leave the loudest mouth to others, prolly a Toyota fella.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hemi
The fact is that you do not have to buy a Toyota to get a quality product. Most people who own Toyotas buy them because they percieve the quality to be much better than American product. Toyota built their reputation in the 70's & 80's when American where putting out junk, and that perception is still seen in the eyes of many today. The deal is the American manufactures do build just as good if not better products today. Toyota owners do not want to admit it, but they do not have the quality edge anymore. As said before, you can find people dissatified with every brand make and model (yes as many Toyotas owners as American too). If you like your Toyota fine, don't be mad because Dodge or someone else is coming out with a quality produt. You don't need a Toyota badge on the front to make a quality product.

Hemi

I couldn't agree more. In our company fleet we have:
2-'01 Tundras-both around 165K w/ only 1 minor problem
'01 Chev Z-71 5300-162K no prblems of any kind
'00 F-150-220K, alternator replaced once
'03 F-350 6.3 diesel-biggest piece of crap to ever hit the road..
eventualy replace under lemon law.
'07 Z-71-16K w' no prblems at all, avg 17.4 since purchased, very
impressed with this truck.

After working in the oil patch the past 20+ years, we've had good trucks, bad trucks of most every make and model. We're going to wait 6 months or so before shelling out any $$$ on the new Tundra to see if problems persist.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Wait till Toyota puts out their 3/4 and 1 ton version of the new Tundra with the clean burning V-8 diesel in it. That'll surely shake things up even more in the truck market than the new Tundra has.

You may be right, but we'll probably have to rob a bank to get one......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't have a Toyota...just like 'em a lot. Might have the loudest mouth though. I have a Chev currently and although I don't really like it that much, with the prices of new vehicles I be driving it for a while. Hopfully it lasts.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 49 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.