Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Is a moose walking in the road in low light.

I had to dodge this one this morning. Luckily I was just out of my driveway and speed wasn't a factor.

So what's the number between the valley and ANC this year? Has it topped 700 moose killed on the roads?

Taylor

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been there done that, got the body shop reciept to prove it! It sucks big time when you see the silouette of them mo fo's coming through the ice fog!

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the most dangerous animal in AK was the sea-run rainbows they have up there... those things can get a might honery. ~josh

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Strange thing about it; when I see a moose laying next to a police cruiser with lights blaring, I feel sorry for the moose before I start looking around for the crushed-beercan-looking vehicle...

I feel for the guy/gal who hit the moose, don't get me wrong, but somehow I always exclaim "Oh, NO" for the moose laying there taking its last breaths.

Yet when I arrow or blast one, It's PURE EXCITEMENT.

Something wrong with that... I'm gonna see somebody about that.

Taylor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, along the highways it's got to be moose. Nearly did one in Anchorage one evening quite a few years ago - at twilight. Had similar experiences with them in northern Minnesota on dark, foggy nights. Even knew of one Highway Patrolman who had the presence of mind to drop to the passenger side of his cruiser to avoid the 'winkle which sheared off the top of his vehicle. (I don't recall that he got charged with reckless driving or failure to control his vehicle either. wink )

Don't much worry about moose out in these parts though. Probably been more scared singularly by a wolverine. (Don't want to talk about being startled - by ptarmigan.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought the most dangerous animal up here was tourists driving the seward highway. hmmm...

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I just came back from a snowmobile ride in the Caribou Hills with the wife. We came up on this bull moose that still had his antlers. Upon further notice he was still snifing the flanks of this cow. When we decided to continue on the trail he came out on the trail and started this huffing and horn scraping like he wanted to fight. Luckily he was still about 80 yards away and we just let him play out his aggressivness. Eventually the cow started walking in the willow and he followed suit.........

Thank You,
Mike
"Now boy, are you sure you can skin griz"......"Yep, just as fast as you can catch em"
"You're the same dumb pilgrim I've been hearin' for 20 days and smellin' for 3"
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Yea it sucks to hit one. Been there done that.How were the hills Aufevermike,must be some good powder up there now?

I
I
I thought the most dangerous animal up here was tourists driving the seward highway. hmmm...

+1

Tried to convince BLM to give out tags for RVs, but they wouldn't hear of it. That's subsistence hunting right?

"Error, indeed, is never set forth in its naked deformity, lest, being thus exposed, it should at once be detected."

Irenaeus of Lyons
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Welcome to the "Fire".

Been there, done that. Once. Totalled both vehicle and moose. Close another 2 dozen times or so. It is really heart-stopping to see a moose suddenly "appear" next to your right or left bumper! And you are past before even getting the chance to gulp.

I'm thinking there ought to be some sort of florescent paint ball sport to tag those suckers for winter drivers! Done right, the state might even make a profit at it.

smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The most dangerous critter in AK is the most dangerous critter in every other state as well....man!

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Folks accustomed to glowing deer eyes do not realize how little you get from moose eyes...

Jeff
With ya!

Still holding a really nice magnum of pinot... I mean really...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I gotta set aside some time, so we can toss the cork away! I'll call ya this week. I can't wait to retire!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya Marc, one year we were on our way to meet some friends at the Turtle Club just north of Faribanks, as we got closer to Fox there were headlight lined up and brake lights lit up as well as some red/blues'. When we got close enough to see what was going on, there was a cow laying in the middle of the road and teh troopers were trying to run off that years calf and she wouldn't leave. Needless to say all of my wifes mascara was running down her face when we walked into teh turtle club, tis sad but part of life up here. There was the other time I approached the North Pole Railroad tracks on the Richardson Highway and came upon a moose vs Minivan and there were like 6 men trying to pull a cow out of the windshield of a Ford Aerostar van, driver didn't make it if I recall and the scene was quite ugly. We also had a friend paralyzed in the late 90's from the neck down when she hit one in her car and the cow landed on the windhsield/roof of her Ford Probe, very sad as she was young and had 2 young children. Them [bleep] sure do reak a lot of havoc when they meet head on with autos!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL in ALASKA is TOURIST! COME SPRING THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. AK should inact a LOWER 48 crossing the border tax on these ignorant sob's, something to the tune of $100.00 per person from APRIL - OCTOBER. Mabe then it wouldn"t be combat fishing on the RUSSIAN and KENI river.Sorry for ranting!!!!!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If fischer weighed in @ around 100 lbs. would be frighting to have a run in....in WI they're plenty furocious at even 10 lbs.

Have seen video of one chase a black bear off a carcass....quite wicked for their size...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a marten attempt to take a deer from me once... Just a slightly smaller weasel...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HOGBUSTER
The MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL in ALASKA is TOURIST! COME SPRING THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. AK should inact a LOWER 48 crossing the border tax on these ignorant sob's, something to the tune of $100.00 per person from APRIL - OCTOBER. Mabe then it wouldn"t be combat fishing on the RUSSIAN and KENI river.Sorry for ranting!!!!!!!

Says the man from Tennessee smile

HOGBUSTER
Campfire Regular

Loc: ERWIN, TN.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good fun on the tourists, but they bring money to your country which is good. The most dangerous critter I have seen is the Polar bear, he is 100% carnivour which even grizzly aren't, I have seen one fighting with a huge front end loader that was positioned over a chewed up worker. The next most deadliest creature is man himself who will in the end orchestrate his own demise on this planet. No I haven't read Gore's book nore do I plan on doing so.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
moose are scary

but jeff is closer to the truth imo&e, though with this caveat

but I'll take my chances with them versus a previously married woman that doesn't think she got her fair share in the divorce settlement. (shudder)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 3,545 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,774
Posts18,535,879
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.