Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bamaguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am contemplating buying this rifle some time next month and have some questions concerning ammo and magazines.The cheapest ammo I can find online that is of relatively recent manufacture is wolf sttel case. I have heard that this ammo is hard on extractors. Is this a concern? Also i would like to have an extra 5 or 10 round magazine due to hunting restrictions in my state. Does this rifle use the FN/FAL magazines? I would call rock river but today is sunday. Thank you.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wolf is know to be hard on AR-15 extractors. RRA 308 I don't know.

FNFAL mags, Yes, according to the RRA site.

Now let me pass on some information about this design. This was written by someone with more experience with this design than I

My AR10A4 has eaten somewhere around 1500 rounds without a single real malfunction, even with ammo that was "iffy." The only exception was that the 10-round mags, when brand new and filled to capacity, had springs that were so tight that stripping off the first or second round of ammo was sometimes too much for the recoil spring. That's not a gun or design issue as much as a legal issue, as during the ban, 10-round designs of all types often had very tight springs to prevent the possibility of the mag holding 11 rounds. I never had a problem with a 20-round mag.

Back then, there were some issues with magazines, as Armalite went through a few different sources for conversion kit mag bodies, plus some people didn't do the conversion correctly. I corrected a couple of poorly-done mag conversions for someone and "fixed" their AR10 problems.

Anyway, you will probably be fine with either a DPMS/KAC-type rifle that uses original 1960's AR10-type mags or the current AR10s that use modified M14 mags. I would avoid any .308 AR that uses FAL mags, though, as the narrow FAL mag was designed to feed ammo to the center and not from the sides, as is necessary in a rotating-bolt design like the AR. FAL-mag rifles required the 6-o'clock lug to be deleted or at least cut way back, reducing strength, and the ammo still has to be guided around it, which affects feeding reliablilty.

FAL-mag .308 ARs were tried by ASA, Hesse, Bushmaster, and now RRA. None of them have sold well. Coincidence? You decide.

The FAL is a tilting-bolt design that locks at the rear of the bolt, and the ammo feeds towards the center of the chamber. This design does not lend itself to being compatible with a rotating-bolt design, which has a locking lug at 6-o'clock that the ammo has to feed around. In rotating-bolt designs, magazines are wider and ammo feeds from each side of the ammo stack.

From an engineering prospective, you'll never get a FAL-mag-based .308 AR to feed as reliably as the other designs. Forcing ammo to start from a center position, move to the outside to angle around the center lug, and then back towards the center to feed into the chamber itself, just isn't optimal engineering.

I understood the DESIRE for such a rifle during the ban, but given that you can buy new, factory 20-round .308 AR mags for reasonable prices, there is no reason to use a compromised design strictly to save money on mags. The weakest link in any semi- or full-auto is ammo feeding, so you want that to be as optimal as possible

B
bamaguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thank you for the reply. I may have to rethink my desire for this rifle then. But the AR10 is out of my budget. Does anybody else make a flattop .308 with 20 inch barrel?

B
bamaguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Oh sorry isee you mentioned DPMS. I will look them up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bamaguy
Thank you for the reply. I may have to rethink my desire for this rifle then. But the AR10 is out of my budget. Does anybody else make a flattop .308 with 20 inch barrel?

DPMS sells uppers and compete rifles, but they don't list a 20" bbl.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bamaguy,

Listen to Lewis Perkins. He knows of what he speaks.

eh76

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
bamaguy,

Listen to Lewis Perkins. He knows of what he speaks.

eh76

AMEN.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bamaguy
I am contemplating buying this rifle some time next month and have some questions concerning ammo and magazines.The cheapest ammo I can find online that is of relatively recent manufacture is wolf sttel case. I have heard that this ammo is hard on extractors. Is this a concern? Also i would like to have an extra 5 or 10 round magazine due to hunting restrictions in my state. Does this rifle use the FN/FAL magazines? I would call rock river but today is sunday. Thank you.

While I am a fan of RRA equipment I must say if you are contemplating this rifle don't hold your breath. They are still trying to fill orders taken in 2006. If you know of a rifle on a rack somewhere that's available for purchase...BUY IT. You'll be able to sell it in a heartbeat.

Don't believe everything you read about an AR not being able to use FAL mags. From reports on the few demo guns out there they run 100%.

I know 2 guys that have had the RRA .308 on order for nearly a year. Still no projected delivery date.

If $40 mags don't scare you away take a look at the DPMS.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've never seen an RRA one.... but that center feed COULD probably be worked out if the feed ramps were cut in relationship to the mag... do NOT know if thats done or possible, but in theory it should be.

I've had RRA stuff ordered(AR15 stuff) since March of 07 as an RRA dealer.....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
bamaguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
well out of curiosity i called Rock River today. I was told that their .308 rifles were not even being produced yet and they have a 2 year backorder. I have decided to go with the dpms Lr 308 B.and take my chances.I was told delivery on these is 4 to 6 weeks.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Bamaguy,

The DPMS LR will tickle you to a permagrin.
I don't think a guy could regret adding one to the stable.

The one I had ran and ran without a burp, and with good ammo would hold MOA or under all day long.

Rock River is waaay behind on just about everything.
Sign of the times and folks demanding good products.

Best of luck!
E4E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It doesn't cost much more to just go ahead and buy the best .308, the DSA FN/FAL.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FAL is a good battle rifle but no where near as accurate as the AR platform or as easy to make accurate.

Yes, I have both. I like the FAL but it took a lot of work to get it to shoot better than 3MOA and it is no where near 1MOA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never shot a FAL that was 3MOA. Every one I've shot has been under 2MOA and 9 times out of 10 that's with open sights. Some other big plusses for the FAL is that the FAL is a real military rifle. It has served in countless militaries all over the world and is without a doubt, the most proven 7.62x51 military rifle in the world.

Accuracy is nice, but I want a rifle to work first. And I've never missed anything I was ever aiming at with a FAL because it wasn't accurate enough. IMO, accuracy is overrated.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
accuracy is overrated.

you cant miss fast enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can hit a man sized target out to 500 yards with open sights on my FAL, every time...How much more accuracy do you need? What's more, my FAL works, every time and I can get parts and magazines cheap and easy.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I can hit a man sized target out to 500 yards with open sights on my FAL, every time...How much more accuracy do you need? What's more, my FAL works, every time and I can get parts and magazines cheap and easy.

Words fail me......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
plus 100....

Last edited by rost495; 01/22/08.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do not think David Tubbs could hit a man sized target everytime at 500 yards.
You truly may be the man!!

MCS

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 18,588 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,850
Posts18,537,437
Members74,050
Most Online20,407

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.