Print Thread
Hop To
C
CCW Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
E4E,<BR>Can you build an AR type rifle in .243??<BR>I have toyed with this idea for quite a while for fall coyote calling. Many times while the pups are still together I call multiples, and while I get along pretty good with a bolt gun I've always wondered "what if". Now please realize that I know nothing about any semi-auto rifles. And I mean nothing. I've never had one, or even been around one. So give me the basics, options, costs, and etc. I'm absolutely NOT interested in a .223 of a .17. I'm not going to argue the merits of them or how many coyotes they have killed and so on. It will have to be .243 for me. Thanks. Any of you others in the KNOW are welcome to pitch in here also. Just don't jump on about the .223 being enough gun etc. It won't do you a bit of good. But any other info will be appreciated greatly. I'm seriously considering.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Armalite builds the AR-10 in .308 and .243; as a matter of fact, if you buy an Armalite in .308 on a promo right now, they will sell you the .243 upper for $350. Or, you can get the AR-10 Eagle, built by Armalite, for $995 (retail) in either caliber.<P>Yeah, I want the promo......... [Linked Image] <P>Check their website at <A HREF="http://www.armalite.com" TARGET=_blank>www.armalite.com</A><BR><P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
C
CCW Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
OK,<BR>So its the AR 10 if I want the .243 I assume. Now, more questions. Will it shoot? How well? I don't expect miracles but MOA would be considered. How long of barrel? I am just absolutely at your mercy here, because I don't know what to expect from this kind of rig. Are they easy to mount a scope on? Can you rig a sling stud to attach bi-pods? Thanks!!!

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good questions. I expect that with the lower-priced models, you may be stuck with a couple MOA if you are unlucky. If you get into their competiyion models ($$$$$$$), you can expect to get real good groups. Of course, you can do as I have with some varmint rifles. If I can't get a lower-priced model to shoot out of the box, I do a trigger job and bed it. Usually that does it. If not, spend more and have it made into a tack driver.....<BR>You can usually get a QD barrel clamp, if the original swivel will not allow bipod attachment.<BR><P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CCW,<BR>Sorry for the delay..I have no excuse.<BR>The AR 10 in .243 should shoot in the MOA range out of the box,and better with handloads.Break in the barrel properly with the one shot and clean to naked steel method.<BR>Bipods for the AR family can get tricky.<BR>You do not want to attach a bipod directly to the barrel as it will change the point of impact just as resting a bolt rifle barrel on something will.<BR>If the handguards on your AR-10 are not floated and you attach a Bipod on the bottom handguard with an Uncle mikes AR stud(About 7 bucks)you will see the same thing unless the barrel is heavy enough to resist the weight.A good float tube or under handguard float tube will run around a C-note,and another 20 bucks to install.<BR>Have you considered a .223 for coyotes?<BR>60gr Vmax at 3100fps works for me!and the yotes here run in the 40lb avg category with several in the 50's!<BR>All in all the AR10 is a good shooting rifle,and will do ya proud if you let it.<BR>Be glad to help ya if you run into problems with it.<BR>Take care!<BR>Pat<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bad news, CCW. I talked to a guy last night who has an AR-10 in .308, and works in a gun shop. He has a love-hate relationship with it. Shoots dime-size groups, but won't feed. He knows others with AR-10s, some feed and some don't. Armalite offers to fix those which do not, but one guy sent his gun to them and it still did not feed when he got it back...... I don't know. Lots of money for anything iffy........ [Linked Image]<P>E4E, any experience with this problem??<P>------------------<BR><BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Critr,<BR>I have heard of the AR-10 rifles having a fussy diet,but as most semi-auto's they are Magazine dependent.<BR>Which brings up the AR-10's weak link.<BR>Magazines.Real AR-10 Mags are rare(as are original AR-10's!!)and usually M-14 mags are modified for use,but the wallet damage is hefty.The 10 rounders are available for quite a bit less though.<BR>On a AR-15,if a mag. dosn't function well you can get another for $20 bucks and go on.<BR>When mags get up there in the $100 bucks per mag. range we start asking more of them and their reliability.<BR>Also if a guy loads his own ammo and chooses a load that has a different peak pressure time curve,or reduced loads,reliability can suffer.The same goes for shorty's.<BR>Possibly a different mag,then different loads,then look hard at components not playing nicely with each other.<BR>Sometimes it can be a combination of several things at once,that on their own wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.<BR>Finally AR rifles of all ilk,need a good break-in in period of 200 rounds or so to allow parts to "get to know each other".<BR>The design relies upon close tolerances and can be fussy at first,then settling down to boring reliability after a bit.<BR>Bulk mil surp ammo is great for such things,and is cheap.<BR>Good luck to ya and your bud with the fussy AR-10!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,509
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.