Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I harvested my first deer from the ground, but have taken to tree stands since then. I'm considering ground hunting again.<P>What's your experienaces from ground hunting?<BR>How many of you ground hunt?<P>Thank you, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I am still new to bowhunting but my best times were spent on the ground. I blew the perfect chance at ten yard because when I got seated I drawed a couple of time to test clearence in the shooting lanes. Well I forgot to reset the nocked arrow so when I drew on the deer the arrow fell. Oh well, another year is coming up. One time I had a ruffed grouse walk up to within 3 feet of my left foot while setting on the ground. Ground hunting has it's benefits.

Beware the one-gun man.
M
M
i am new to this site.in my earlier years of bow hunting i could not sit still for more than an hour or two.so needless to say i did alot of walking.i would jump a lot of deer but never too many shots.eventually i came to remember these bedding areas,and actually started tagging some deer.i always wanted to see what was just over the horizon.covered alot of ground,got lucky once in a while.lately i have been forcing myself to sit.my results are far more satisfying.patience for me has been a long time coming, but i am glad i finally found it!

Long distance,the next best thing to being there...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The header caught my attention as I scrolled down. Honestly I mostly hunt from the ground and though I keep hearing you can't I do Ok, year in and out, normally a meat hunter and I look for 2or 3 on a side sometimes when I'm scouting and see a really nice buck I keep track of thier movements and have tagged some big bucks. It is different and requires some concealment. I like an old log with some brush where I can make a spot to move a little without rustling leaves and things. Also scraping the brush/leaves around making the spot make a great cover scent putting quite a lot of natural order in the air. Also anyone saying deer don't look up hasn't hunted around here...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.