Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Everytime I tell someone that northern Alaska is a desert they just stare at me with a dumbfounded look, as if to say "ahh no it cant be its got snow".

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I and everybody I know uses both. You just have to take care of certain guns better than others thats all.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We only had 32" in October. Wood/blue likes that about as much as I do......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have rifles that have been wet all day everyday for weeks in saltwater environments and they do fine with just a little care.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olblue
Have used blued/walnut almost exclusive for years. I have 3 S/S rifles 2 with plastic and one with walnut, have only hunted with one on one hunt. Can't say I've ever had much problem with blued ones and most likely won't get another S/S. Although anything is possible. That said I carry a 629 S&W most everywhere I go and like S/S in handguns a lot. --- Mel

I'd say you're stuck Mel, olstainless, just ain't got the same ring to it!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Have had stainless/fiberglass in like that did fine with no care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've managed to "camo finish" a blued gun or two in just a few hours of drizzle, sea spray, and duck blind duty. Then again, I deeply pitted a new stainless barrel (externally) after failing to wipe it down the same night we came in from a early AM marine jaunt through ice floes.

The "dinged up" guns I have come in both flavors: blued and stainless. I will say that synthetics do seem to have an advantage in not frosting up when cold like wood stocks do. I'm not sure if or why that matters...

Stainless Ruger #1s sure are ugly though IMO.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But what else are you going to do on those long dark nights? Might as well grab a rag and rub your gun, right?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Does it count as stainless with a dusting of Krylon?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use a blued/wood combo if I could find a stock to fit my 375. Right now I only own 2 rifles, both are blued and sit in a synthetic stock, one has been treated with Black T and the other is going to CAS to be Creakoted. I will soon own my first SS rifle and use it this spring.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
Originally Posted by olblue
Have used blued/walnut almost exclusive for years. I have 3 S/S rifles 2 with plastic and one with walnut, have only hunted with one on one hunt. Can't say I've ever had much problem with blued ones and most likely won't get another S/S. Although anything is possible. That said I carry a 629 S&W most everywhere I go and like S/S in handguns a lot. --- Mel

I'd say you're stuck Mel, olstainless, just ain't got the same ring to it!

Good point, hadn't thought of that, I'm sure enough stuck in a rut!! grin Actually olblue was a blue and yellow Aeronca sedan I use to own. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Does it count as stainless with a dusting of Krylon?

I hope so. Then I can count an old Rem 721 I have as stainless. The "cherry red" Krylon it was given on the receiver (before I got it) does prevent rust. Personally, I favor Rustoleum products, but Krylon is available locally.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
M
I only use stainless. I've had wood/blue rifles in camp and it worked but the overall results was not good.

My 2005 hunt in the arctic was a fly-in, boat-out trip because of the floods. It rained for all but 12 hours of a 10 day hunt. Not exactly a desert.

Last edited by Milo_AK; 01/23/08.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am saving for my first Alaska hunt and can't comment on the blue/wood vs ss in Alaska. Thanks for asking the question, as the post are good to read.

I can comment on Eezox as a metal protectant. It goes on wet. Let set for a couple hours then wipe off. It dries with no filmy. Nothing sticks to it like oil. I learned about it through a post. This sutff is great. Read some of the comments on the Eezox website. From what I have observed, they are all true. I have confidence in this stuff.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Used to think SS was the way to go yrs back. Now am happy with a blued rifle and walnut. It is just maint. if you don't space out or get lazy you're firearm will survive.

Push comes to shove apply carnuba car wax and buff to a shine. wards off water like a champ.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I will say that synthetics do seem to have an advantage in not frosting up when cold like wood stocks do.

Klik,
Could you explain this comment? I live where it gets plenty cold, and have seen synthetics completely covered with "hoar frost," but have never seen wood have a bit on it. Further, I've always found wood to be much warmer to the touch. Am I missing something?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I would like o thank all of you for your advice and suggestions. It is much apreciated. I have owned ss/syn in the past and still have a couple of them, but my favorites are my wood/blued guns. Something about them draws me like a moth to a flame. They just feel like a gun to me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Aesthetics ain't a reason I pick a rifle for a goat hunt, ymmv...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SeaRunRainbow
Have had stainless/fiberglass in like that did fine with no care.

Thats exactly the logic I have adopted. I remember the days of worrying about my rifle and worrying about cleaning it. Just dont do that anymore. Stainless on synthetic, stainless on fiberglass, it just gets flopped in the tent. I always keep some kind of dry cloth in a ziploc to take care of my optics but the gun better hold its own! Call me lazy, but after walking up an down the [bleep] mountains all day I just aint got it in me to babysit a blued rifle anymore.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own both but when I go out hunting the stainless guns get taken. I just don't want to mess with the gun when I get back to camp. I would be a little mad if I dinged up my nice wood stock or scratched the bluing on a nice rifle, on a stainless/synthetic I don't care. Haven't had a single animal complain after I killed it cause my gun wasn't purty enough to shoot him with.

JD

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 160user, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,753
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.