Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have bullet and other metal costs affected the loading and shooting you are doing or have planned (perhaps pending warmer weather)?

Are you holding off on bullet and brass purchases due to costs?

Do you believe and hope that prices will come down and so put off buying?

Anyone have a reasonably good idea if metal is leveling off or will continue to climb; perhaps drop back some?

I hated to pay what I did before the first of the year. Now I wish I had purchased more. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and shooting, however, I rather think I may put off some of the casual plinking I usually do.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
HR IC

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Buy in bulk, look for the good deals on seconds, spend more time with the rimfire.

I don't see prices coming back down, ever.

As I've gotten a little older, I find more enjoyment shooting a few well disciplined shots, than when I was younger and simply converting money into noise at the cyclic rate.

It's not unusual for me to go out and shoot only 20 rounds or so of centerfire. Maybe two or three to confirm zero, and the balance at odd intermittent distances between 300-1200 yards.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm heading to the gun shop this weekend to stock up on reloading supplies. I get sick looking at the price stickers on my old boxes of bullets compared to the prices on the new ones. Figure I will concentrate on the 22 rifle for shooting practice a lot more, and bite the bullet and buy my handgum slugs at the best bulk deal I can find. Don't have many other hobbies so the cost for shooting is justified.

cur dog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to be able to say that going to the range was cheaper than going to a movie or a bar, but not necessicarily so any more.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have several hundred pounds of lead, enough brass, powder and primers to keep me going. At least for the reasonable future. I agree that prices aren't going to go down, like gas. Told the wife that we'll be eating beans and rice before we stop shooting.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can't see any metal related products comin' down in price from what they're asking right this minute. This isn't a "let's be fair to the consumer" world.

Buy what you can afford, when you can afford it and at the best price you can find. My stockpile has finally reached the point of "silly" if I don't live and shoot past 90 years old (56 now...just a pup!).

Ordered 3 more cases (15,000) of primers yesterday for my .223's as I believe strongly in what I've just said. Reloading components don't go bad stored properly and even if I died tomorrow, they pass on down real well with the firearms that use 'em.

I do expect that shooters, in general, are shooting less these days because of the more limited supplies and higher prices of components. The hardcores, not so much, but those generally a bit younger (perhaps less affordable) and less enthusiastic....likely.

One of the reasons many order online is due to not having to pay taxes on our purchases, which can really add up when buying in bulk like many of us do. It is also very convenient and uses alot less gas when shopping on-line as well, but all those little perks may soon end. There's a big push to have all online suppliers tax all items sold online, no matter where you reside or what the product. The government would then take a certain % of these taxes and the company the rest. It's been too good for a long time and the intent of the government is to have their piece of the pie as well.

This taxation will eventually be implemented. The articles I've read aren't from far left or right papers with an agenda, it will take place and likely soon.

As they say.....there's no time like the present (and with the elections as close as next huntin' season, perhaps even more impetus to consider making purchases now).

YMMV..........

Last edited by magnumb; 01/31/08.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since I have an 80 mile round trip to the range, gas figures into a lot more than component cost. Of course,right now I ahve about a life times upply of bullets ,powder, and primers for some one my age.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well all things go up and down some what depending on over all economic activity, right now the demand for ammo is very high world wide, I seen this before and while I don't like the high current prices, I didn't like paying what I was paying before either compared to what I paid when I started shooting and hunting in the early 1960's I mean 4 bucks for a box of Nosler Partitions and there was only 50 was a rip in my young mind, that is till I started killing game with them. 20 bucks for 50 lbs of 4831. that was something I bough with lawn mower money and at the same time a movie ticket was 75 cents. That 50 lbs was a good buy even thou at that time my mother thought I was out of my mind. Now movies are 10 bucks a ticket or close to, power a good 16 to 20 bucks or more a pound. My first Remington 700 was a 140 dollars out the door and now you are looking at a number pass 700 or so. Of course I make more than a dollar twenty five an hour too. Even back then shooting a lot of 22's was cost effective then as it is now. You should be shooting 100 or 200 22's per one center fire big game cartridge. Then head shoot 50 or so squirrels before the big game season and you will do just fine. Just plan your shooting, and make each shot count. Rather than converting money into noise and recoil.

Last edited by gmsemel; 01/31/08.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
nope no change, shoot as much as I ever did.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot as much as I ever did. One thing I don't do nearly as much is load work ups and experimentation in handloading. Once I find what works for the purposes I need I stick with that. In the past I would try dozens of combinations and waste hundreds of dollars looking for something that in some cases just wasn't there.
I shoot more effectively nowadays.......

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just learned that shooter use at my range is down almost 20%. Management is claiming it's the increased cost of ammo.I think most could handle ammo increases if that was the only thing going up, but it isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1994 Hillary and Monihan tried to add a 1000% tax on ammo to fund their socialized medicine plan. They also wanted Taggnants in powder, primers got real scare. At that time I decided to "stock up", which I did for about 3 years, almost non-stop. I am still shooting from that stock, and at 52 I can probably shoot from that stock until I cannot see or walk anymore. I still cruise for bargains and buy when I find them. Like most reloaders I am a scrounge and a hoarder - I am dipping into my hoard now.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well it has effected me.. I just seem to shoot more and more 223 and 22 LR...( may end up wearing out that CZ 452's barrel after all)....

I really feel ammo companies are just playing games just like big oil is doing with consumers.. creating problems, that can't be publically verified.. and the solution just seems to be to lessen the availability and raise the price.. because you always will have Bozo's trying to give us all that 'supply and demand' crap...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still buying bullets and brass for rifle and pistol. It's the shotshell prices that are killing me. Especially non-toxic shot loads (e.g., Tungsten) are out of this world.

I expect the price will continue to go up. Bulk is the way of the future.

Also, this was the perfect time for me to 'rediscover" the .22 LR.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Red44spl
Have several hundred pounds of lead, enough brass, powder and primers to keep me going. At least for the reasonable future. I agree that prices aren't going to go down, like gas. Told the wife that we'll be eating beans and rice before we stop shooting.

RED:
I love Red Beans and Rice. Like from Popeyes.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I certainly will slow down my shotgun shooting at $50.00 per bag of shot. I loaded several cases of 12 and 20 gauge last month and will limit 2008 shooting to those.

I just figured up my loading cost including the cost per round
of new brass for my 260 and 25-06 and it was $6.74 per box of 20.

Not as good as it was but still better than store bought ammo.

Doc

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Seafire

I really feel ammo companies are just playing games just like big oil is doing with consumers.. creating problems, that can't be publically verified.. and the solution just seems to be to lessen the availability and raise the price.. because you always will have Bozo's trying to give us all that 'supply and demand' crap...

My thoughts exactly!!!! mad

Last edited by Duckbill; 02/01/08.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wonder if brass and copper prices will drop after or if ever the Iraq thing is finished? (if it is ever finished)

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well it has effected me.. I just seem to shoot more and more 223 and 22 LR...( may end up wearing out that CZ 452's barrel after all).... <snip>

Well, if you can wear out one of those 452's in any way, you sure are doing a LOT of shooting!

I have a 452 that my father bought for me when I was a teenager and I shot it intensively in Sporting Rifle competition for years. It has over 70,000 shots through it with zero repairs and still shoots tiny groups.

For myself, prices have not affected the amount I shoot, although I do stock up on reloading supplies whenever I can find any at a relative bargain (which, in Sweden, is not often!). frown

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The price of copper has not changed all that much, but the price of lead has sky rocketed.
My suggestion is to use calibers that cast bullets would be appropriate for most of your shooting, saving the factory made bullets for hunting and matches.
Buying in bulk makes good sense.
Several of us have agreed to keep our eyes out for buys, letting the others in on the finds. A couple of weeks ago three of us bought several thousand 150 grain 30 caliber, each. Over the years I've accumulated several tons of wheel weights and still scroung lead when I can.
If nothing else a lot of what I find can be trade goods.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1911a1, 204guy, 222ND, 160user, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 72 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,201
Posts18,524,144
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.