Print Thread
Hop To
O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Has anyone tried a release agent on their molds? I'm contemplating trying this one since it's on sale at Midway.

Really, I'd like to hear anyone's experience on their secret product that maybe does the same thing.

Thanks

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bic lighter or a match works for me. I do have some Mould prep from NEI and it works pretty good too.

If the bic lighter and smoking the cavities doesn't do it, release agent won't work any better.

You may have to wind up doing some "polishing" tricks to make it smooth.

I'd check for burrs on the side of a cavity if one side and one cavity continually 'hangs' a bullet.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I would try adjusting temperature (up or down, depends on alloy) BEFORE ever using any mould prep/graphite.

Blammer is right. The good thing about smoking with match or lighter soot is that it can easily be removed. Not so with mould prep, and too much can make a mould that was fine sluggish (I've got some used moulds with that stuff)!

If you do have burrs some brass brushing (LIGHTLY on aluminum!) every so often will gradually go away. A little Mother's polish will do wonders as well.

O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank, guys.

I do the smoking thing and still have a mold that wants to hold on to the bullets. I guess I'm going to have to do a little polishing.

Ever tried polishing with a small drill rod turning steelwool inside the cavity?

What's your best method for polishing the mold?

Last edited by ought6; 02/04/08.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
to polish a mould, cast a bullet from the mould, note the cavity it came from.

take the bullet and insert a screw into the base, chop off the head of the screw so some of the body of the screw is still poking out. Now you have a bullet with a handle. You can attach this to a drill that will allow you to spin this bullet slowly inside the cavity of the mould. Use soft scrub cleaner as the polishing agent. Don't spin to fast use lots of soft scrub. This will polish the inside of the cavity. Wash with soap and water to clean up and try casting with it.

IC B2

O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks, Blammer. I've truely never heard of that method. However, it sounds like it would work really well.

BTW, what is soft scrubb normally used for? I don't think I've ever bought any.

Thanks again.

ought6

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had my H&G moulds enickled and have had no problems with either of them, have a 6 and an 8 cavity...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
soft scrub is a kitchen/bath tub cleaner in liquid form.

Used to clean surfaces that you don't want scratched, like sinks, tubs, etc....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ought6
Has anyone tried a release agent on their molds? I'm contemplating trying this one since it's on sale at Midway.

Really, I'd like to hear anyone's experience on their secret product that maybe does the same thing.

Thanks

I like the Midway stuff. It's enough more convenient than the things I did before that I quit them once I found the aerosol.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.