Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Anyone have any experience with them? I have a TC contender and was looking for an alternative to scoping every barrel. If I could install quick release bases to each barrel I could just buy one scope and move it around as needed.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have used them twice before, and they work pretty much as advertised. Sometimes you might be a click off. I never moved them about dozens of times. But at least for several cycles they presented no problems.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've used them on a lot of rifles and like them quite a bit. I think I have them on four rifles now. I've heard some say they've have had problems with them shearing off, but I've had them on a 300, a 338 and a 375 with no issues. They are reasonably repeatable too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used them on a 45/70, and now on my AR15 (on riser blocks). They are very good, as they should be for the price!

Even the "low" version is fairly high, though.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i use them on my marlin guide gun and i tested them, by take the scope off and mounting it back with no change of point of impact. they really work like advertised

we didn't get to the top of the food chain
to eat salad.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by onausable
Anyone have any experience with them? I have a TC contender and was looking for an alternative to scoping every barrel. If I could install quick release bases to each barrel I could just buy one scope and move it around as needed.

I removed the barrel and forearm of a T/C prohunter ML twice and removed the Leopold 3X-9X scope 3 times from the Leopold "QR" mounts and the rifle maintained zero each time after re-assembling the rifle and shooting it at the range.

Made a believer out of me.

Doc

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used the Leupold QR bases/rings, not the QRW, and had the locking levers snap-off a rifle that was leaning against my reloading bench and slid down onto the carpeted floor. This room has thick carpet and a thick pad under the carpet, so the impact couldn't have been too hard and both levers snapped right off, clean with the base. If I had been on a hunt and the scope had failed, I would have been SOL, 'cause I couldn't remove that scope to install the spare scope. BTW, I took the scope off by taking the rings apart, as the bottom 1/2 of the rings is still attached to the base.

Having 1 scope to swap between rifles only works when the mounts on each rifle handle the windage and elevation adjustments, like the old B&L Balvar series. If you swap a scope with internal windage and elevation adjustments, you'd need to rezero the scope each time you moved it from rifle to rifle and that is not, IMO, a cost effective or efficient way of doing things.

Jeff

N
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have used the Leupold QR bases/rings, not the QRW, and had the locking levers snap-off a rifle that was leaning against my reloading bench and slid down onto the carpeted floor. This room has thick carpet and a thick pad under the carpet, so the impact couldn't have been too hard and both levers snapped right off, clean with the base. If I had been on a hunt and the scope had failed, I would have been SOL, 'cause I couldn't remove that scope to install the spare scope. BTW, I took the scope off by taking the rings apart, as the bottom 1/2 of the rings is still attached to the base.

Having 1 scope to swap between rifles only works when the mounts on each rifle handle the windage and elevation adjustments, like the old B&L Balvar series. If you swap a scope with internal windage and elevation adjustments, you'd need to rezero the scope each time you moved it from rifle to rifle and that is not, IMO, a cost effective or efficient way of doing things.

Jeff

Does anyone know if the B&L Balvar series mounts were ever available for the Contenders?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have used most available quick detach scope rings, e.g., Leupold, Talley, Weaver, Warne, etc.

Currently have about a dozen Leupolds in use on swap barrel rifles.

Like them.

N
N
But as Jeff points out, and I agree with, don't the quick release rings require re-sighting of the scope when moved to a different barrel. The B&L Balvars did not, since the adjustments were in the base, vs the scope.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I doubt it, as I believe that the Balvar series of externally adjusted scopes/mounts was discontinued before TC introduced the Contender.

If you contact me via email, remguy260ATmsn.com, I'll put you in touch with THE B&L Balvar expert, Fred Warren.

Jeff

N
N
Jeff, Just sent you email again, since I don't think it went through yesterday. Do you know if Kuharsky or Buehler made anything for the Contenders?

Ken

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kuharsky Brothers of Erie, PA, made the B&L Balvar and Trophy series bases and rings.

I don't know about Buehler, but I think that they are still in business in CA, so you could probably find out directly.

Check my profile for the email address.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a high quality scope with demonstrated good windage/elevation adjustments, resetting the Leupold with quick detach rings is not a big deal. Do it frequently.

Establish a zero base line with the scope adjustments. Record how many clicks up/down and left/right for each change in ammo or each change in rifle. Keep notebook handy.

Swap Leupold, Nightforce, Sightron, Bushnell 4200 (and now 6500), Weaver T scopes from prairie dog rifle to prairie dog rifle all the time.

Swap barrels from prairie dog rifle to prairie dog rifle too and this may require keeping notes as to different scope settings.

Also do it on African rifles, but don't recommend swapping scopes during a cape buffalo charge.

This can be educational and fun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have Leupold QD`s on three rifles.They work as they should.Have them on a 338 WM,375 H&H,416 Rem.no problemo.On hunts I carry a spare scope sighted in,as that is about the only weak spot on modern rifles.I have never had a scope fail,but its cheap ins. in case one does. Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that I ever said that establishing a "battle-sight zero" for a scope CAN'T be done. While I do think that it is a suboptimal solution, if it works for you, that is what counts, for you.

I bring an extra pre-zeroed scope in a QR style mount whenever I go hunting, since I might be in a situation where I couldn't shoot the rifle to confirm the zero when changing out a scope. Call old fashioned, but I like to shoot the rifle whenever I change sights, even if I know in my head and my heart that the bullet will hit close to the intended POA.

Jeff

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Currentlty running six rifles on QRs '06 to .416 all have an extra 4X Leo and is sighted in for a common factory load, (Not much choice in the 35 Whelen and 340 WBY). If I am not happy with my load developpment or out of tinker time I can just 4X-it and skidaddle. The Warnes and other assorted rings and mounts are in the gun show box. Best wishes, Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Best of luck, but IF (the BIG IF/AND/CAN) any of your rifles so equiped ever fall over AND the locking/unlocking levers snap off flush with the side of the base, leaving you no way to remove the scope (if you should need to do so), don't forget that someone who has had that sad experience shared it with the 24HCF community. When I taught hunter safety, 1 of the key elements in safe firearms handling was that safeties are mechanical devices that CAN fail, so anyone handling a firearm was taught to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I doubt that safeties fail all that often, just as I suspect that Leupold QR locking/unlocking levers don't snap off flush with the side of the base too often, but it CAN happen, so forewarned is forearmed and a person can plan accordingly. I have a box full of Leupold QR bases and rings, some used and some new, that I would gladly trade for Warne 1" QR rings in like condition. If you're interested in trading, please shoot me an email at the address found in my profile.

Jeff

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
About a year ago someone carried a B&L scope-based Contender carbine barrel through a local gun show. He said he used just one scope for several barrels with no problem. IIRC, he used a Win 88/100 base, appropriately modified. Other similar shaped mounts might work, too.

Bruce

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used them on several rifles for a while, sight ins repeated nicely, but I broke a lever on one. They are made a little fragile, so I switched a few years ago to Talleys and never looked back. When on a hunt far from home, I like to take an extra pre-sighted scope as a spare-just in case.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 80 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,429
Posts18,528,479
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.