Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I'll just write in "None of the above". I miss that being on the ballot as it is in Nevada.

Scott

It had been necessary for him to swallow swords that he might have a better throat for grapes.
Stephen Crane~ The Red Badge of Courage
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
I like the idea of having the whole primary process in a one-week period. This would limit the amount of time that we have to put up with the polls and who is the leader currently is as well as limiting the whole money issue. How about a 6-week campaign process leading up to the general election as well? Each candidate or party has a limited amount of time to make their case to the American people and lets get it on! This way our elected officials can concentrate on their jobs, not raising money and getting elected or re-elected.

Good conversation boys!

You can get lucky and hide something in a lot of cases for a week to six weeks. In nearly a year people can find out a lot about you. You have lots of time to trip yourself up and show the real you. Longer is better even though you get tired of hearing about it.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitting out the election, and conceding defeat is not only immature, its damn stupid. Not unlike taking your ball and going home.
This is the behavior of children on a playground, not adults trying to deal with the most important decision of the decade.
there will never be a candidate with mass appeal (read: electable) that will be 100% satisfactory to anyone.

Sam......

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
I like the idea of having the whole primary process in a one-week period. This would limit the amount of time that we have to put up with the polls and who is the leader currently is as well as limiting the whole money issue. How about a 6-week campaign process leading up to the general election as well? Each candidate or party has a limited amount of time to make their case to the American people and lets get it on! This way our elected officials can concentrate on their jobs, not raising money and getting elected or re-elected.

Good conversation boys!

You can get lucky and hide something in a lot of cases for a week to six weeks. In nearly a year people can find out a lot about you. You have lots of time to trip yourself up and show the real you. Longer is better even though you get tired of hearing about it.

I don't know how much shorter the whole process would be if we just had all the primaries and caucuses at the same time. My god how long ago did a lot of these candidates declare and start campaigning, but by dragging things out the way they do, there's no opportunity for me to participate in the process in any meaningful way.

As I'm typing someone on the radio is urging people not to fill out their mail in ballots until tomorrow (after super Tuesday) because some more of the candidates on the ballot may drop out...

I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives' for me.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
We need a *second* party.
Yes.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Barkoff
OK, well now I'm going to expose myself for the ultimate political whore. About an hour ago I just walked into the booth and pulled the lever for Hillary Clinton...my hands are still shaking.

I did find out a few things. If you are registered Independent you can't cross over and vote for Democrats or Republicans, however that lady at the polling place informed me that I'm not really registered Independent, but "undeclared".

What does undeclared mean? Well I still can't get a Republican ballot, but I can vote a Democrat ballot. I could just imagine the tears of joy rolling down my mother's cheek as I took that Democrat ballot into the booth and voted Hillary.

It's official, I'm a whore with no dignity whatsoever...I just hope my strategy works out, I would have to go to therapy if it turns out I actually helped that cackling Biach into the Whitehouse.

i'm in the same boat as you though just to take some pressure off ya i'll be voting for obama tonight after work wink

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men always stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
We need a *second* party.

Amen......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and as long as the participants are clear thinking, rational folks, I will probably join them. I could never work with folks that feel Ron Paul is their savior though.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm surprised folks think Romney couldn't be elected because of his professed faith.

I remember them saying the same thing bout Kennedy being a Catholic.

do you really think there would be folks bothered that he's Mormon?

I see that you are from Alaska. Ever spent any time in the south? The Southern Baptists, Methodists, Church of God, Church of Christ, etc, etc, etc, who comprise the vast majority of Republicans in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisianna, consider Mormonism basically a cult. They view it far more negatively than being Catholic as you mentioned in regards to JFK. Having lived among them for 42 years, I have a hard time believing that they could ever be fired up for Romney as a candidate for this reason. Would they overlook it and vote for him if he were the only option in a general election. I honestly don't know. They would certainly never vote for a Democrat but it is a very legitimate possibility that they would simply stay home in droves if Romney were the candidate.

As a clue, watch and see how well he does in southern states today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lodgepole
I guess these boneheads would rather have Shrillary or Obama bin Laden than McCain. I D I O T S

My candidate is Mr. ABAD. Anybody But A Democrat

Damn, you toss names around like a democrat.
Yeah, if it came to it I'd rather have anybody than McCain.
(and I think you're the idiot)

IC B3

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Sitting out the election, and conceding defeat is not only immature, its damn stupid. Not unlike taking your ball and going home.
This is the behavior of children on a playground, not adults trying to deal with the most important decision of the decade.
there will never be a candidate with mass appeal (read: electable) that will be 100% satisfactory to anyone.

You misunderstand. There is no concession of defeat, only a longer term look at a bigger picture. If conservatives are to have any power in this country, then we need to be seen as being important enough in the politcal process to affect the outcomes of elections. We are not viewed that way at present.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm only a group of one, I'll write in or abstain.
I have MUCH more respect for someone trying to shoot me in the head as opposed to stabbing me in the back.

Jeff
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Blaine
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

You misunderstand. There is no concession of defeat, only a longer term look at a bigger picture. If conservatives are to have any power in this country, then we need to be seen as being important enough in the politcal process to affect the outcomes of elections. We are not viewed that way at present.
Bingo! Seems an obvious point to me. Cannot understand why it is not obvious to everyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't help thinking that two more good Supreme Court Justices can change things in this country for the next couple of decades. I can see that doing much more good than sending the GOP a message about your discontent.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I can't help thinking that two more good Supreme Court Justices can change things in this country for the next couple of decades. I can see that doing much more good than sending the GOP a message about your discontent.

McCain wouldn't appoint a strict constructionist. It would be another Suiter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a couple more Ginsbergs?

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to say this, but hoping for a few more judicial appointments to fix things reminds me of the old liberal tactic of using the courts when they couldn't get things done in congress.

I don't want judges making law. I don't want them expanding the power of government.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by let_me_in
I'm only a group of one, I'll write in or abstain.
I have MUCH more respect for someone trying to shoot me in the head as opposed to stabbing me in the back.

As one Reagan Democrat said to me last week, "At least the Democrats are honest about growing government and taking your money......"

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tod
I hate to say this, but hoping for a few more judicial appointments to fix things reminds me of the old liberal tactic of using the courts when they couldn't get things done in congress.

I don't want judges making law. I don't want them expanding the power of government.

Exactly. You misinterpreted my point. What was meant is a chance for the American Conservatives to vote their beliefs without justices in robes thwarting their vote. If happens in CA on a regular basis.

The election of a Democrat will no doubt lead to the appointment of more justices as you describe.

Californians voted to cut off services to illegals years ago...twice, both times it was overturned as unconstitutional.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

McCain wouldn't appoint a strict constructionist. It would be another Suiter.

Therein lies half our problem. We'll always be considered a clown act as long as we can't spell "Souter".

Last edited by Crow hunter; 02/06/08.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257Ackley, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 63 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,694
Posts18,534,578
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.