Print Thread
Hop To
C
Charico Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My 2001 had the fuel pump and injectors replaced to the tune of about $3500 at less than a 100,000 miles. Dodge would not cover it because the 5 year warranty was expired. I spoke to 4 friends in my small town (pop. 5000) and they had the same failure. 2 were done under the original warranty and 2 were not.Apparently there was a design defect for model years 2000-2004 because the replacements are now located in the tank instead of on the block, because of heat problems. I am sure there are many others with the same problem and Dodge is not taking care of it.
Anybody else experience this same problem?

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a 2000 Dodge Cummins 4x4 Quad Cab. The problem with these 24 valve Cummins is the very weak lift pump that draws the diesel from the tank to keep the Bosch VP injection pump with a steady supply. If the VP pump doesn't have enough diesel it will start drawing the diesel in itself and eventually fail like your's did.

The only sure solution is to put a much superior lift pump system like a FASS or Airdog. The lift pump in the tank is not the solution and it is not due to a heat problem. The Cummins just doesn't get that hot on the driver's side where the lift pump is located.

The 95/150 FASS will easily supply about 12 to 14 lbs of fuel pressure to the VP. That is about all you need. Too much fuel pressure can also cause a failure. Some people have tried the Holley Blue, but I far prefer the FASS system.

The 95/150 will also supply the Cummins if you intend to turn up the power. The 24 valve that you have is one of the most easily tuned of all of the Cummins to give it power and then to take it back down. The 12 valve is one of the cheapest and easiest to get BIG power out of.

I would suggest that you get a fuel pressure gauge muey pronto. You don't want your fuel pressure to drop much below 8 lbs for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Longbob is rigt on. I have a 98 and I had to replace both the lift pump and the injector pump for $2500. Once the lift pump goes below 5 lbs or so,it is a safe bet your injector pump will go out. I put a FASS system on mine.The Airdog and Fass are pretty much the same. Same family makes them,only the son split off. There is a diaphragm in the lift pump that cracks when it flexes too much and then the pump goes south.

If you have a hard time priming after filter change out or long cranking, your injactor pump is soon to be trash.

Dodge knew about this problem,but figured they could get through the warranty period cheaper than a recall

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Dodge doesnt make the lift pump anymore but Cummins still does.that in the tank crap is the dealer trying to screw you out of your money thats all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Charico
My 2001 had the fuel pump and injectors replaced to the tune of about $3500 at less than a 100,000 miles. Dodge would not cover it because the 5 year warranty was expired. I spoke to 4 friends in my small town (pop. 5000) and they had the same failure. 2 were done under the original warranty and 2 were not.Apparently there was a design defect for model years 2000-2004 because the replacements are now located in the tank instead of on the block, because of heat problems. I am sure there are many others with the same problem and Dodge is not taking care of it.
Did have the FUEL LIFT PUMP or the INJECTION PUMP replaced? Propably both. Makes a difference on responses from others.
Anybody else experience this same problem?

By the way the injection pumps changed completely in 03' and up, I thought the fuel pumps did too. My 99' injection pump went out at 127,000 miles. I know its too late and don't want to rain on your parade but for others info, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER let the Dodge dealership replace either pump if your truck is out of warranty. A diesel repair shop will do it cheaper and has propably forgotten more about how to work on your engine than the dodge mechanic will ever know.
My fuel lift pump and injector pump only ran $1700 at a local fuel injection shop that specializes in diesels.
The injection pumps on the 98.5 to 02 were the pumps more prone to failure.
Bill

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dirtysteve
Dodge doesnt make the lift pump anymore but Cummins still does.that in the tank crap is the dealer trying to screw you out of your money thats all.

Actually the in-the-tank pumps are MUCH better than the block mounted, his dealer is right on that. Thats why the 05' and up have far fewer failures than previous models, thats when they started putting them in the tank from the factory.
Howeverm their are aftermarket fuel pumps (FASS being one) that are better than either and cheaper. They take about 1 hr to install and run under $200.

Bill

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 03 and up Common Rail Fuel systems use a different lift pump/injector pump set up than the 98.5 to 02 24 valve Bosch VP pumps. The FASS systems run about $600 to $700 depending on where you buy them and I promise it will take longer than an hour to install. It takes almost and hour just to get the stock draw line from the fuel tank off. I hated the installation of my FASS, but it was worth it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Typo on my part, that last was supposed to say $1200 dollars not $200. The 1 hr is with a the same shop installing it I mentioned earlier. They have done so many, they can do it with their eyes closed.
The 05' and up have a completely different lift pump than 03's and 04's. The dealerships are supposed to replace the lift pumps on 03 and 04's with the newer pump (in tank) if they go out under warranty.

Bill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.