-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
W
I just started shooting trad. Can't wait till next season.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
56#, 64 inch, Black Widow take-down. Cedar shafts that I dip, crest, and fletch myself.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am a traditional bow ho! Sorry but I have disease! My last bow purchase was DAS recurve. Best recure I have ever shot!!
Mark

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glacier John, yep..I am also a traditional archer hunter of over 45 years.
Like to build my own bows these past 25 years..recurves and longbows, selfbows or glass lam composites.Same with arrows and other appertenances..
A great pass time no matter what equipment folks use..Jim

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yes I shoot both compound /stick . will be in Oklahoma end of month pig hunting and visiting family .Will be using a sky archery long bow this trip.

IC B2

M
map Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Black Widow Autumn Oak, Martin Stick Bow (favorite)
map

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
There are a lot more traditional shooters here than I thought, thats great!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glacier John,
Many of the topics are such that we who still enjoy hunting, shooting, making our own tackle for 'less complicated' archery and bow hunting cannot relate to..and have nothing positive to offer.

Doesn't mean we don't read, learn, and appreciate others whose archery tackle is a bit more 'modern' than our own..:)

Best regards, Jim

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+1 jim in oregon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Glacier,

Hunted seriously with traditional equipment in the 80's and early 90's, mostly hunting big whitetails but then I was "sidelined" by my other maladies - rifles, side-by-sides, bird-hunting and elk hunting.

I took some 26 whitetails in that time including some other game and am thinking about trying it again this fall.

I've always been enamored of photo's like the one above with no camo, no wheels'n pulleys, no trinkets and gimmicks hung all over the bow-not that some don't work-just effective simplicity.

edited to say it's not that the bow machines and accessories of modernity don't work; it's just that recurves, stick bows, the clothes and the like hearken back to a simpler time for me. And, I like the warmth and beauty of some of these beautiful, simpler bows - just like in guns grin.

Gdv

Last edited by goodnews; 02/23/08.
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have been shooting a recurve for a few years now and am considering going to self-bow.
I agree with the simplicity-factor and I think there is something about the instictive shooting that generally accompanies traditional that adds an element of art to the whole experience and is thus a bit more rewarding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly Razorsharp. Once you get a feel for your instrument it truely is an art form.

Talking with an old boy one time I told him dad built acoustic guitars in the basement when I was a kid and he asked if I learned to play the six string. I responded "no but I'm pretty good on the old one string." smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Great pics there RWL99... smile

I'd love to take up traditional archery again someday. I learned on a homemade (left-handed) recurve. Man did I put some hours into that thing but I think that played a big part in me becoming left-eye dominant too.... blush

Oh well, it was worth it... wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gotten into the traditional archery game this past summer after hanging up my wheel bow when I went to college in 1998.

I've got two long bows currently in house that will be here for a while, and I look forward to the monsoon season ending so I can get out and start shooting them! smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another sliver-slinger here. Never ever shot a wheel bow, trad from day one. Started with an old Shakespeare recurve that was my dads and am now on a Raptor Signature Flatbow, Yew limbs under glass. I love the simplicity, the quite "thunk" of the string at release and the graceful arc of the arrow. Hard to beat a day in the woods with a two sticks and a string!

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I was over at a friends the other day, noticed he had a target in his yard. Turns out he's a bow hunter to, though a compound shooter. I had my long bow and arrows with me so we shot a bit.

The compound is so fast and accurate it's impressive, but it didn't seem like he enjoyed it as much, as he was frustrated when he had an arrow two inches out of the group. We were shooting at 20 yards, and though my group was larger, they were all in the kill zone of a deer, with the occasional flyer. I need to work on eliminating those flyers, but it is just a real pleasure shooting this slower, simpler bow, no sights, feather fletch off the shelf, watching the arc of the arrow and listening to that 'thunk' as the arrow hits the target. Plus for a day walking through the woods, it is so light to carry and my tool kit consist of an extra string and bow stringer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot flat bows and cedar shafts, but also have my dad`s freestyle recurve.
I also have a small collection of old recureves....
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
B
I have been bowhunting since 1997. I got my first recurve in 1999. My favorite bow is my Blackwidow PSA3.
click
[Linked Image]

ill

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started bowhunting in 1985, switched to traditional in 1994 and haven't looked back.

I currently shoot a Robertson T/D recurve and a Havens longbow. Currently working on my third selfbow. Hopefully it will be ready by summer.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glacier John, I'm right up the road from you, and yes I'm a traditional bowhunter. I shoot a 60" 60# Schaefer. Love that bow... Dave's good people too.

Working at the mill was what really pushed me into bowhunting. Try getting a week off in November when you've only been there three years frown I got other reasons, like the elk don't rut in November, rifle hunting was getting way too easy, and un-molested whitetails the first week of September. I used to have a cabin out by Star Meadows, really studying white-tails year-round got to be an obsession. Their patterns really change when the orange army hits the woods.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.