-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a Marling Mountie. When I got it, the action was very stiff and the lever hard to operate. I took it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning (MUCH needed) but it is still hard to operate. I had my gunsmith take a look at it and can find nothing wrong. Any ideas before I send it back to Marlin for service?

Kevin Haile
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If the gunsmith you use could not see what to do to smoothup the Marlin, you need to go to another gunsmith...

All Marlins are a little stiff, when new. Shoot the rifle and it will break in. Why do I know? I have eight Marlin 39's.

If you are in, or close to, the San Fernando Valley, I can send you to a gunsmith that can take care of your very minor problem with the Marlin...

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 02/18/08.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bill thanks for the reply. The gun is an older Mountie I bought used. From the accumulated powder etc. in the action, it has had many thousands of rounds through it. One of the things I did was to be JB Bore Shine on all the bearing surfaces and rack the action 500 times (followed with clean and lube in an ultra sound cleaner. No change. I've had other Marlins new and understand they are a little stiff when new. This rifle is orders of magnitude different in stiffness than mere break-in. Any help?

P.S. - I grew up and went to school in the Valley (Chaminade Prep and CSUN). I still get down there now and again, who do you recommend as a gunsmith (There are very few gunsmiths in the Bay Area and the best is closing shop and moving to Truckee)

Last edited by kevinh1157; 02/19/08.

Kevin Haile
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Bill thanks for the reply. The gun is an older Mountie I bought used. From the accumulated powder etc. in the action, it has had many thousands of rounds through it. One of the things I did was to be JB Bore Shine on all the bearing surfaces and rack the action 500 times (followed with clean and lube in an ultra sound cleaner. No change. I've had other Marlins new and understand they are a little stiff when new. This rifle is orders of magnitude different in stiffness than mere break-in. Any help?

P.S. - I grew up and went to school in the Valley (Chaminade Prep and CSUN). I still get down there now and again, who do you recommend as a gunsmith (There are very few gunsmiths in the Bay Area and the best is closing shop and moving to Trukee)

I have been a friend of Jim Hoag, since he started in 1962.

If you go to the 1911 forum, you will see he is considered one of the ten top gunsmiths, working on the 1911 pistols, extant.

James Walter Hoag
8523 Canoga Ave.
Canoga Park, CA 91304
(818) 998-1510

Tell Jim that Bill Ward recommended you, to him... That won't get me anything, however, he will pay very, very close attention to your rifle.

Bill

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bill

Kevin Haile
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Check your takedown screw, you know the big thumb screw. I have an older mounty but it was unfired when I got it. I took it down, and cleaned it, put it back together and tighened the thumb screw by hand with my fingers. The gun looked to be totally together, and assembled correctly.

This wasn't my first 39 either, I have had a couple before this one. Anyway the action was very stiff and rough, but it was quite a bit slicker before I took it apart, so I knew I had not done something right. Anyway, after carefully considering everthing, I put a big screwdriver on the thumb nut and found that it needed tightening some more. After that, the rife was much slicker, so be sure that screw is tight, tighter then just by hand, you will know when it's right.

This might not be your problem, but it was on mine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 82 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,727
Posts18,494,746
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.