Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And I thought making a decision on a rifle was a pain in the arse! crazy

Ed Brown:

I keep hearing that Ed Brown parts are second to none, but also hear he can be a little difficult to deal with if one encounters a problem with one of his pistols.

Fusion:

Bob Serva apparently knows his stuff and is back at the 1911 game.

Springfield Armory:

Oh my! I love the TRP Operator!! I even like the version without the rail.

Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk:

Jeez! What the heck are you getting for all that $$$?

What's the diagnosis? Am I about to fall off in yet another addiction to compliment my rifle looneydom?

WAR EAGLE!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

I still like my $400 Springfield 1911 A-1 GI.

If I were to consider another - it would be a Dan Wesson ...
... or, a FUSION by Bob Serva.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ever thought about a Kimber SS Custom TLE II?? I have the itch for another AR-15 and am considering putting mine in the classifieds.... blush

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you haven't had one before, why not simplify and start out with an upper level Para or a Gold Cup or a Kimber?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
OCC,

I have a Gunsite Service Pistol I can make you a deal on, it is a Springfield modified by the Gunsite Gunsmithy and has very low round count.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

W
W
I'd highly recomend Wilson or Nighthawk, I went got the opportunity to go up to shot show and spend some time pereusing the products from many of these manufacturers.

Got to meet Bob Wilson, and the guys from nighthawk, they were increadibly friendly and willing to work with customers on even the smallest details of custom orders, not to mention just being plain nice guys who were willing to relate to their customers by talking by just about anything.
I've shot and handled many of their guns but sadly don't own one yet, but I can say that their quality is amazing. My brother in law is ordering an bobtailed commander model from Nighthawk this summer

Differend experience with Brown though. We went by his booth, there weren't many people around and we were looking at a couple of his rifles. Mr. Brown comes over with his arms crossed and asks us if we needed help with anything, we told him "no we're fine" and he sat down in a chair not five feet away, arms still folded. Some friend of his came up and started talking to him about how his day was going and he says, aloud, "...I've got a couple of real geniuses right here."

Now I may be dumb, being a College Grad and a Law Student who has shot and studied firearms for more than 15 years, but I'm not so dumb as not to know when Im being insulted, especially when the person doing the insulting is setting five feet away and talking out loud.

Im sure he's a great machinist, but needless to say I won't be spending a red penny with anything that says Brown on it.

Last edited by Wildhorse; 02/21/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the best deal for price and quality right now is the Dan Wesson's that are being sold by CZ USA. They even have them in 10mm, which I personally think is the catz azz.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
And I thought making a decision on a rifle was a pain in the arse! crazy

Ed Brown:

I keep hearing that Ed Brown parts are second to none, but also hear he can be a little difficult to deal with if one encounters a problem with one of his pistols.

Fusion:

Bob Serva apparently knows his stuff and is back at the 1911 game.

Springfield Armory:

Oh my! I love the TRP Operator!! I even like the version without the rail.

Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk:

Jeez! What the heck are you getting for all that $$$?

What's the diagnosis? Am I about to fall off in yet another addiction to compliment my rifle looneydom?
Of the semi-customs, I've owned a Wilson CQB, an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, a Springfield Armory TRP, and Les Baer SRP. I strongly recommend a Les Baer. The Springfield TRP is a close second. Then the Wilson CQB (a distant third), and I don't recommend anything by Ed Brown. He sold me a lemon, and didn't stand by his product. Made not even an effort to make it right. First it was unreliable. Sent it back. He sent it back to me stating that there was nothing wrong with it, and that I must be limp wristing it (funny I don't have a reliability issue with any of my other 1911s). A few hundred rounds later, the extractor head breaks off. Yea, I guess that was caused by my limp wristing it too. Steer clear of the man. He's a total ass wipe. He cannot even talk to a customer on the phone without becoming enraged.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wildhorse
Got to meet Bob Wilson, and the guys from nighthawk, they were increadibly friendly and willing to work with customers on even the smallest details of custom orders, not to mention just being plain nice guys who were willing to relate to their customers by talking by just about anything.
I agree with you about Ed Brown, and I never met Bob Wilson, but I had a very bad experience with Wilson Corp. I ordered a brand new CQB built for me. They put me on the list, and told me it would be about eight months. A little over a month goes by, and they call me up saying that my gun is ready, and they need a check before they'd sent it. I was confused by this, because, how did I get in front of all those other customers? I asked, and they offered no explanation. I sent the check, and they send me a CQB that was configured they way they configured them about five years previous to when I ordered it, and the finish was worn away at the edges, just like advanced holster wear after a few years of carrying it daily. I immediately called them and asked WTF. They said that it was a newly made gun, just for me, but somehow the older sights got installed on it by mistake. Yeah, right! Then I asked about the holster wear, and the guy laughs it off, like I'm insane and seeing things. I send it back, demanding a new gun, like I ordered and paid for, and they change the sights out to the newer style on this one and send it back. They refused to make this situation right. I would steer clear of them. They deal dirty with direct customers. If you really want one, have a trusted established dealer order it for you. This way, you have someone with clout to deal with them when they try to screw you over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OCC - I'd like to offer some help - unfortunately I can't.

I recently went from just having one 1911 (a Springfield Ultra Compact) to adding a "loaded" Springfield stainless. For just over $700 new, I thought I found a good deal.

Then I realized I need a bobtail commander to carry and a field pistol. Well, the commander can wait, but I just got off the phone with Bob from Fusion and a 10mm will soon be on order as the field pistol.

This 1911 stuff is even harder on my wallet than the rifles!

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just got back from the range and fired another 250 rounds through my Fusion Longslide 10mm. I really like this gun! I was doing mixed shooting drills and focusing on one-handed strong-hand and weak-hand firing. No change in reliability with single-handed shooting.

If you buy a Fusion, you will get a better deal going directly to him rather than bidding on Gunbroker.com. His starting bids on gunbroker.com are at least $100 above the direct purchase price. Mine was $1155 and I think it was well worth it.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been talking (and emailing) directly with Bob so I will go that route. He's definitely a great guy to deal with - always helpful and makes time to repond. At this point I want the gun as much because of dealing with him as anything. Looking at a 5" 10mm and will probably end up just a bit higher as I'm considering other metal finishes (as much as I don't want to jack up the price). Seems like a fair price for the quality of workmanship you get from Fusion.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sig 1911 GSR

Great gun.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nobody buys Colts anymore?

- Tom

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Colts are great. I have a few, and they all work, but I thought he was after something semi custom.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Nobody buys Colts anymore?

- Tom

I really like the Colts. I especially like the Delta Elite. Is it possible to have the front and back of the mag well checkered?

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My next 1911 will be one from Rock River Arms.Accuracy taken to another level out of a semi-custom pistol.
Will do at 50 what the others try to squeeze out of theirs at 25.Fact.
Well satified with my Kimber Super match but it's time to move to another level.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=332

Pretty difficult to beat without going to a Very, very very high quality bullseye gun at price consisderably less than , say, those often written about in the various hand gun monthlys.

Pretty sure this one will be my next.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=338

For some reason the 9MM ha smy eye as well but I like the scoring advantage of the .45
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=351

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Is it possible to have the front and back of the mag well checkered?

OCC:

Special order? Dunno. Just checked Colt's web page. Didn't notice any prices, but they have more varieties of 1911 than I would have expected.

I'd like to get a close look at their 1911 (military) replica.

My current varietal is a Series 80 Gold Cup National Match. Shoots better than I can. Utterly reliable with 230 grains at 825-850 fps. Just as God - I'm sorry, I meant Mr. Browning - intended. smile

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, I was wondering if it could be sent to a smith and have the work done. After looking at various sites, I have come to the conclusion that it can be done. I never realized how many variations a 1911 could have.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Handled an Ed Brown Kobra. Had to have it! Got it!

WAR EAGLE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,351
Posts18,527,018
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.