Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Gents I have a TI 7-08 SA I'm getting punched out(open boltface) to a 300WSM and was trying to figure which custom barrel maker have great results in accuracy, logevity, and relibity. I also was pondering on which twist, contour, and length to go with to compliment the titanium action I hear RockCreek makes a great 30cal tube and so as Boots Obermeyer anyone else know of anyone else that make a great tube the reason I mention the first 2 builders is because thier all I hear about while frequenting the fire. Lastly explain WHY would you go with the barrel maker and your choisce and why would you chose the certain twist, contour, and length.. Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cut rifled 5R is the cat's azz in a .30 Oby, Rock Creek, and Bartlein.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Grand

I hear the same thing on the cut rifling in the 5r tubes on these guys barrels this is a project I'm LOOKING at AFTER my 257 webby gets done WAAAAY AFTER and that's if my billfold can handle it.............for me it's gonna be a hard choice cause I sure do like Rock Creek barrels T thought Mr Obermeyer wasn't doing tubes for the public as per the military contract he has..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think you'd go wrong with a Rock, Broughton, Bartlein, or Obermyer .... Pick your poison and shoot!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 02/26/08.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I used a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist 24" long for my 300WSM.
http://www.rifle-barrels.com/
I wanted something for 165gr bullets and I've had great luck using a 30-338mag 1/12 twist barrel with 165gr bullets on deer/elk. I had a pretty good talk with the owner of Broughton Tim North and he advised me best bullet would be a boattail design and I should expect some gain in velocity and I have a heavier contour barrel than you would need as I used a Model 70 WSM action.

Since the rifle was already a 300WSM I had alot of loading data using 165gr bullets and only reason I want to use the 165gr bullets I didn't figure the case had enough capacity for the 180gr bullets(what do I know anyway). The gunsmith I used had a Manson reamer that was throated alittle longer than spec to take advantage of the little extra length in the magazine. I'm shooting a TSX 168gr bullet over 3200fps and the rifle shoots great and I've got around 220 rds fired swo far.

I don't think you can go wrong using the guys you mentioned and the only thing I would of done different I used a mag sporter contour I should have use maybe a #3 and paid extra for 2" more of barrel and had maybe a 25 1/2"/26" with less weight than a 24" I used I tried it at 26" was too heavy at the muzzle end. Well good luck

USMC
Life Member VFW
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Schneider Makes a good barrel.
[Linked Image]
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I appreciate all the info. I may have to look at the brougthon or oby tubes...after speaking with some of the guys on here via pm's...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt for me I'd be looking Schneider twer it my project.

Dober

(been around a butt load of them and they've all rocked!)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contour, to yield proper balance, is a much bigger deal in selecting a barrel for a Ti-based lightweight than is arcane stuff such as 5R vs 5C vs 5P. Lilja, Pac Nor and Hart are the best I've worked with on custom lightweight contours. I currently have Schneider, Pac Nor and Broughton on .300 mags of one flavor or another, and Rock Creek on a .308. All are great. The Schneiders consistently chrono a little faster and the Pac Nor fouls by far the least.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rem based .300 WSM with 11 twist 5P Schneider. 7lbs 6 ounces, balance at the front screw, MOA to 660 yds off a pack.

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Popapi
Originally Posted by Grand

I hear the same thing on the cut rifling in the 5r tubes on these guys barrels this is a project I'm LOOKING at AFTER my 257 webby gets done WAAAAY AFTER and that's if my billfold can handle it.............for me it's gonna be a hard choice cause I sure do like Rock Creek barrels T thought Mr Obermeyer wasn't doing tubes for the public as per the military contract he has..

Guys after seeing this post(Bigamps) initially it had relevance to something I had on the brain as per doing, please understand that in no way am I trying to trample on his/her(bigamps) thread, so to start this thing out I accured a rem short action 308(Ti) that needs the bolt face opened to do what I needed to do as per the 300 WSM this was purchased from a board member here the other day and what came to mind AFTER I got through having my 257WBY built was using this action for a 300wsm, so this post inspired me to do a little research this morning after my son woke me up to make chocolate milk and couldn't go back to bed and thinking how or what I needed to do as per getting something going as to finding out info on some of the custom rifle barrel makers mentioned here, so this is what happened................

I started calling and asking questions to 4 custom builders IE: RockCreek Barrels(Mike Rock), Bartlein(Frank Green), Broughton(Tom North) and last but not least Obermeryer Barrels(Boots Obermeyer) and these are the specification from each RESPECTED builder.

1st. Mike Rock(RockCreek barrels) spoke to him personnaly. Specs. where.
24" tube SS, 4 contour, fluted(6) with a twist of 11.273(11 1/4), muzzle dia. would be around .665-.670, weight approx 3 1/4lbs, with the 5r rifling, and should stabilize 150grn- 190grn with best results from 165-68gr sierra boat tails, wait time 12-16 wks.

2nd. Tim(Tom)North(Broughton barrels) spoke to him personnaly.
Specs. where.
Initially 26" because he liked LONG range shooting(1000yrds) I told him tops for me would be MAX 500 if that, so we settled at 24" tube SS, 5 LT Varmint Sporter , fluted(6) with a 10 twist, muzzle dia. would be around .625-.630, weight approx. 4.00lbs with 5C rifling, and should stabilize a 150-200grn bullet, wait time 8-10 wks.

3rd. Frank Green(Bartlein barrels) spoke to him personnaly.
Specs where.
24" tube SS, 3 contour, fluted(6) with a 11 twist, muzzle dia. would be around 670, weight approx 3 1/4lbs with 5R rifling, and should stabilize a 150-200grn bullet, wait time 12 wks.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST THA DON HIMSELF wink
4th. Barrett "Boots" Obermeyer(Obermeyer barrels) spoke to him personnaly.
Specs where.
Initially 26" because he does LONG range shooting and I told him the same think I told Tim(Tom) North at Broughton max would be 500yrds if that, so we also settled at 24" tube SS. with his Weatherby Sporter 12-flute version of this barrel has a muzzle diameter of + - a shade of .690 didn't have a specific contour as I gathered from talking to him, but you could go here and read what he has to say on this particular barrel
http://www.obermeyerbarrels.com/profiles.html

with a 13 twist, weight would be around BLANK 3.3lbs didn't get actual weight as per the fluting and this is his 5r rifling barrel also and should stabilize 150-200grn bullet, wait time 10-12 wks.

As you all can see each professional barrel maker has thier own taste and as I can see ALL of them are good. And after doing all the researh and getting the FINAL approval from what I think of one of the nicest, most humble and outstanding smith this side of the Mississippi Steve Baldwin in Jones Ok. My first thought was the Broughton 5C but as we talked about the price of that jewell and I'm no millionaire 496.00 to my door...............we said nah let's go with a Bartlein with Frank Green with his 5R rifling we both felt comfy with the decision and this COULD change, BUT for now it will be a Bartlein on my Remington Ti with a Bell & Carlson Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle stock with pacmeyer pad, Jewel HVR puller at about 2 1/2lbs, Talley rings/bases, and a Swarovski AH or PV 3-12X50mm scope LORD WILLING........

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I prefer Rock Creeks contours over Broughtons,You will probably be waiting a very long time trying to get an Obermeyer, they are all top shelf barrels but of the cut rifled I would choose Rock Creek or Bartlein,Button rifled,I would pick Hart,go with a 10" twist,and a #3 contour and your set!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Rem based .300 WSM with 11 twist 5P Schneider. 7lbs 6 ounces, balance at the front screw, MOA to 660 yds off a pack.

[Linked Image]

Journeyman: Curious what barrel length and contour to get balance on the front screw with what looks like an edge stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grand,
That particular rifle is a loooong story, but a good learning experience. Suffice to say that the barrel ended up being a custom 2-1/2ish contour. .780 at the radius tangent tapering to .600 at 24".

I did a Ti long action in .280 AI with the same stock ADL and sporting clays decelerator that starts as a Lilja #2 and tapers to .584 at 23" and it is dead nuts perfect.

Just helped a pard with a Ti short based .308 on a MR EDGE w/1" decelerator. We played around with modeling it and calculating C of G and ended up trying the Badger Ti lug and Rem stantard shank to the point it melded with a Pac Nor #1 and taking that on out to 22" and it is a fantastic build. (Don't recall the exact measurements, sorry)

Last edited by Journeyman; 02/27/08.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sounds about right. I came very close to putting my Borden Alpine/Hart #2 in an Edge stock, but was worried about the balance. Ti action makes it even trickier. Nice job, looks like alot of thought went into that build.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It would seem to me that a glass stocked, TI actioned rifle, with the recommended heavy barrel contours would have to handle like a pig. Now, if the rifle is going to be one of those saddled with a Harris bipod, it doesn't matter. But, if one wants a rifle he can carry comfortably and shoot quickly and accurately, a muzzle heavy rifle isn't the answer; barrelmaker's recommendations notwithstanding. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i am kind of fond of my rock 5R @ 22" in a #4 contour...of course the 1 in 11.27" twist...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 03/06/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sako75 how much does the rifle weigh??

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Did I see Krieger on this list? Think the others are covered.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Popapi
Sako75 how much does the rifle weigh??
sent a pm

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,292
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.